Replies

• bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • a_de_jong
    a_de_jong Posts: 17
    Options
    and I add a tablespoon of "Tahin" (Moroccan sesame paste) to that recipe :)
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas are good in veggie wraps.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 115 Member
    Options
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If they're in a can, make sure you rinse them. They water they're packed in ends up pretty gooey nasty by the time you open it. Also, unless they're specifically low/no sodium, that's where a lot of the extra salt will be. A good rinse will definitely improve your experience, whatever you decide to make.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You can add them to vegetable soup - they're delicious.
    You can use them to make hummus maybe, depends if they canning left an aftertaste or not: http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

Frankly you can just heat them, sprinkle with some lemon, salt, pepper and olive oil and eat them.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love chickpeas! They're a great source of fiber, along with all sorts of other good stuff.

I use them as a salad base.

In a large bowl, I mix:
    One whole can of chickpeas
    One chopped up avocado
    Lots and lots of chopped up tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes
    One chopped cucumber
    One cup of frozen (thawed) corn kernels
    Drizzle with Italian dressing of Balsamic Vinaigrette

It's delicious. I eat half and save half for the next day. I vary the ingredients, I don't always use the corn. Or sometimes I'll add turkey or almond slivers. Just play with it. Eat it with a spoon, because the chickpeas roll all over the place, lol.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I also frequently eat the straight from the can (after rinsing). Maybe with a tiny bit of salt or lemon juice on them, but usually just plain. They make a very good snack that way, especially when you're in the mood where you just want to mindlessly pick something up and put it in your mouth (like you would with chips or popcorn).
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I also frequently eat the straight from the can (after rinsing).
    I love chickpeas [also called garbanzo bean, ceci bean, channa and Bengal gram] But I've never had canned chickpeas as I avoid all canned food because it's all high in sodium. I cook them the same as Pinto beans. Overnight soak and then 20-25 minutes in the pressure cooker.
  • onleethestrong
    onleethestrong Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take a can of chickpeas (rinsed), add diced cucumber, red onion, grape tomatoes, feta, chopped black olives and the Kraft feta with basil and oregano dressing! I'll eat it like that, or put it on a bed of baby spinach!
    ps- It's even better day 2 when the dressing has soaked its way into the chickpeas!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Has to be bean salad. I take a can of green beans, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans. Drain well and rinse. Make a dressing of

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar, or Splenda to taste
    1t olive oil

Add all together with 1 small onion chopped and marinate several hours.
    Sometimes add a small can of pimentos . Add salt and pepper
    My girlfriend also adds red pepper flakes to this. YUMMY.
  • iwish123
    iwish123 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Falafel :)!
    I don't have a recipe to hand, but ever so simple, blitz the chickpeas with some flour, garlic and add some spices, mould into balls and bake or shallow fry, Delicious :)!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Until recently I had never tried chick peas before either but I started with this soup recipe that I found and just loved it!

Chick Pea & Orzo Soup

3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    2 leeks (both white & green part) carefully washed & sliced thinly
    1 tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    1 Tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
    2 cups chick peas, cooked or canned
    2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
    2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
    6 cups chicken stock
    1/3 lb orzo
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil over med-high heat until rippling in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the garlic and leek and saute until garlic is golden brown. Turn heat down to simmer. Add tomato, tomato paste and rosemary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Stir in chick peas, basil, parsley and stock. Turn heat to high & bring to rapid boil. Add orzo & cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat & adjust seasonings. Serve hot or room temp. Serves 6.

It's about 237 calories per cup and it's so yummy!

- thank you for this! this sounds great i love chick peas!!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I make a chick pea salad with cucumbers, bell peppers, red onions, cilantro , garlic, vinegar, roasted peppers. olive oil, salt & Pepper
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Either chickpea peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (http://cookathome.info/chickpea-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/) or a chickpea chocolate cake:

Ingredients
    • 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
    • 2 cups (19 oz. can) cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
    • 4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
    • 1 cup sugar
    • ½ tsp. baking powder
    • 1 Tbs. powdered sugar
    Instructions
    1. In a small bowl, melt chocolate in microwave oven, 2 minutes on medium power.
    2. In blender or food processor, combine beans and eggs. Add sugar, baking powder and chocolate; process until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into non-stick 9-inch heart-shaped or round cake pan.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool.
    5. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut in 10 wedges. Serve with raspberry sauce.

Quick Microwave Raspberry Sauce
    1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
    2 tsps. fresh lemon juice
    1 pint fresh raspberries
    In a bowl, microwave jam until melted, 1 minute. Stir in juice and berries.

I just have to limit how much of either of these I have due to the toxic aftermath of eating chickpeas (but I love them!).
  • kaylamcdougall12
    Options
    The chickpea chocolate chip peanut butter cookies are probably the best ones- We make them probably once every week to two weeks.
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love them with quinoa! add some sriracha or harissa sauce. Throw in fresh cilantro, and sauteed red onions....
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Who knew chickpeas were so versatile.. apparently a lot of people ;)

I went to the store tonight and bought some - so excited to try out these recipes! I like chick peas but never make anything with them. Thanks to all who shared! :smile:
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've recently had chickpeas in a salad and that is delicious!!! I just found a recipe for roasted chickpeas i am going to try this weekend. Can't wait
  • Janesworld33
    Janesworld33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make hummus with chickpeas, add a little bit of peanut butter to enhance the flavour. Very yummy and bumps up your protein :)
    Anything you cook with mince also works well with adding chickpeas, burgers, spaghetti bolognese, burgers etc. sometimes i blend them before adding if i have to hide them from the kids though!
    Salads, curries also work well.
    As a snack/starter i mix a little non fat greek yoghurt, lime juice, olive oil, chilli, garlic, coriander and ginger together and dip in some roasted chickpeas. Works well using a cocktail stick, fondue fork to eat them and people always comment how nice and fancy they are ha.
    I also use the 4 bean canned mix for these recipes too.
    I never tried chickpeas myself till January so i'm still experimenting but so far so good :flowerforyou: