Fitbit? BodyMedia Core 2?

Options
Yes it's another one...

I returned my Bodymedia Fit armband last night to Costco. The button ripped. I was going to purchase a new one, but I see that the Core 2 is coming out (maybe), but since being acquired by Jawbone, the release is delayed or not at all? I'm thinking about the FitBit Force, but I don't want to pay for the premium. Also, I see that the BodyMedia Fit is sold out and discounted in many places indicating to me that it will soon be obsolete.
Does anyone have the FitBit Force? Do you have to put it into sleep mode at night does anyone know? I'd rather not have to think about it. It is obtrusive when typing on a PC? Choices choices.
I don't want to get the big BodyMedia armband only to have the Core 2 release a month later.

Thanks!

Replies

• Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No luck finding the Fitbit force in Best Buy. :(
  • pitterpatti
    pitterpatti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF Advantage and I love it. I feel it gives very accurate information, but since the acquisition, it seems that BodyMedia might be defunct :( I was waiting for the Core 2 to come for over a year now. Even though I love my BMF, I am on the hunt for something new and I was also looking into the Fitbit Force until it was just recalled http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/tech/gaming-gadgets/fitbit-force-recall/, so I'm really considering the Basis 2014 edition https://store.mybasis.com/?_ga=1.90251674.1825366695.1393992836
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Obsolete? Did the iPhone 4 stop working when the iPhone 5 came out?

jG3owEr.jpg
  • vmdave
    vmdave Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Stick with the Bodymedia Jawbone is going to be integrating the bodymedia tech into its new devices and will be releasing an updated cunsumer version of the bodymedia under the jawbone name. Body media is going to be geared specifically to the medical community. Jawbone has already started doing this selling the newer product line as a medical monitoring and rehab device. It says a lot about bodymedia that they have product so accurate that it can be used for medical level activities.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hold your breath on bodymedia coming out with anything new. I held on to the Fit that I I bought from Costco waiting for the new best thing but it never materialized. In my opinion it is chunky, ugly and "medical" looking even though they kept teasing with glimpses of sleeker designs on the way. I went with Fitbit a year ago and am very happy. I'm not sure why you mention the "premium" with the Force? That is optional with all of the Fitbit devices, not required, as far as I know. The Force was recalled voluntarily a couple of months ago due to skin irritation in a small (<1%) population of users. Yes you do have to put it in sleep mode but it is about seven or eight quick taps on the band. I got used to it quickly. I hope you find one you like, the motivation is a great tool. Good luck!
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The one that looks best to me is the Garmin Vivofit, I have a Fitbit Flex which I love just for the encouragement it gives, but having a HRM built in will be great. I already have the strap from my Garmin bike GPS so that saves me having to buy another one.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hold your breath on bodymedia coming out with anything . I held on to the Fit that I I bought from Costco waiting for the new best thing but it never materialized. In my opinion it is chunky, ugly and "medical" looking even though they kept teasing with glimpses of sleeker designs on the way. I went with Fitbit a year ago and am very happy. I'm not sure why you mention the "premium" with the Force? That is optional with all of the Fitbit devices, not required, as far as I know. The Force was recalled voluntarily a couple of months ago due to skin irritation in a small (<1%) population of users. Yes you do have to put it in sleep mode but it is about seven or eight quick taps on the band. I got used to it quickly. I hope you find one you like, the motivation is a great tool. Good luck!

I have the Flex and love it! Agree with pp Premium is optional (I don't pay for it) and agree that tapping the band 6-8 times before bed and when you wake up is easy to do. Flex is water resistant and it feels fine to me to wear it. It tracks my activity levels well with my Zumba classes and all and is helping me achieve my goals at the moment, but I'm sure an HRM would be most accurate.
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM I use for my workouts. I have my Fitbit Flex on at all times minus the shower. The two work very well together. I haven't had any problems with either.

The Polar FT7 isn't very stylish so if you're looking for something that you could wear all day long, that won't be it. But for how I use it, I'd say the combination is perfect. :happy:
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Force was recalled:
    http://excelwithmel.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/force-recall/

Update: Nevermind. Your post is a month old.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options