My triceps need serious help!

Options
I have been working so hard on my tris, but I'm seeing no progress. Just jiggly fat :sad: I am doing dips, weighting dips, scull crushers, cable pull downs, tricep extensions, overhead lateral 1 arm extensions. I also up my weights every couple weeks. What am I doing wrong?! What else can I do? :ohwell:

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How often? How long?( how long have you been doing this) How many times a week?
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Twice a week for a couple months now.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You say you are able to up your weights every week or two. How is that not progress?
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You still have fat in that area and it is extremely hard to lose for most women. Because you cant choose which fat leaves and what hangs on for dear life . I have good muscular arms but when i hold them up not flexed i still have bat wings,smaller yes but still there. Keep doing what your doing and increase as much as you can.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Google "spot reduction myth".

Then google NROL4W or Stronglifts and follow either program.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, be patient, you will see improvement
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    If you are able to go up in weight then you are making progress. As you lose fat, the definition in your arms will become more noticeable. Just keep at it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    that's a fair amount of tricep work. are you looking to build muscle?

aaaaaaand if you had a visible ticker, how many pounds would it say till you reached goal weight?
  • nyla2120
    Options
    You say you are able to up your weights every week or two. How is that not progress?

Well, when I say no progress I am referring to how my arms look.
  • nyla2120
    Options

aaaaaaand if you had a visible ticker, how many pounds would it say till you reached goal weight?

Yes I want to lose fat & build muscle all over. Which is why I don't have a counter, because I know muscle weighs more than fat & since I am trying to build muscle there is no point in looking at the scale since I won't lose much.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    If you are able to go up in weight then you are making progress. As you lose fat, the definition in your arms will become more noticeable. Just keep at it.

Thanks I will!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Keep at it, be patient, you will see improvement

• nyla2120
    Options

I'll check that out, thanks!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    You still have fat in that area and it is extremely hard to lose for most women. Because you cant choose which fat leaves and what hangs on for dear life . I have good muscular arms but when i hold them up not flexed i still have bat wings,smaller yes but still there. Keep doing what your doing and increase as much as you can.

Thanks! It is really hard! My Husband starting lifting weights after me, he had some fat to lose too. But his triceps already look great. It's not fair! :sad:
  • DavPul
    Options

Yes I want to lose fat & build muscle all over. Which is why I don't have a counter, because I know muscle weighs more than fat & since I am trying to build muscle there is no point in looking at the scale since I won't lose much.

fair enough, but if your triceps are "jiggly fat" then it really doesn't matter how many kickbacks and extensions and nosebusters you do because lifting won't do jack for the fat covering up your arms.

so i guess it comes down to what you mean by "serious help" for your triceps. If the help you need is to make them grow and get stronger, keep doing what you've been doing. If the help you need is for them to start to look better (defined by lowering the amount of fat covering the muscle) then you're going to have to set some serious fat and weight loss goals and adjust your caloric intake accordingly.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'll check that out, thanks!

Add "Starting Strength" to the potential books to read. The focus of all of these is to make sure that you are working your entire body, and not just trying to fix one area. Spot reduction will not work, and if you're only working your triceps then you are leaving a very large amount of muscle mass untrained.
  • nyla2120
    Options

fair enough, but if your triceps are "jiggly fat" then it really doesn't matter how many kickbacks and extensions and nosebusters you do because lifting won't do jack for the fat covering up your arms.

so i guess it comes down to what you mean by "serious help" for your triceps. If the help you need is to make them grow and get stronger, keep doing what you've been doing. If the help you need is for them to start to look better (defined by lowering the amount of fat covering the muscle) then you're going to have to set some serious fat and weight loss goals and adjust your caloric intake accordingly.

Gotcha. I'm really trying to lower my body fat. My profile pics are public I think. I'm open to constructive criticism on what I can work on.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Agree with DavPul, losing fat is the only thing that's going to get rid of the highly fat. Make sure you are in a deficit, and eating enough protein, then just keep doing what you are doing.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Agree with DavPul, losing fat is the only thing that's going to get rid of the highly fat. Make sure you are in a deficit, and eating enough protein, then just keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks! I'm going to keep going strong!
  • DavPul
    Options
    okay, you unlocked your profile and although your ticker is still in crazytown (along with your age) I took the liberty to look at some of your profile photos.

i'm not seeing lots of jiggly fat on your triceps, not by any means. but it sounds like you want to get leaner, so keep working out as you have been and it's all about diet and nutrition from here. small deficit (think 300-500 max) and if you haven't been weighting and measuring food, you're at that stage now. this is all assuming your pics are current.