Best shoes for running?

Options
Hi All, I am a beginner runner, not so a runner yet, but more of a walk-jog-walk-run runner... I wear standard suede pumas for running, but I don't think they are safe for running and I want to avoid any injuries. Can any of you suggest comfy running shoes (any brand) considering I am a new runner and I am a bit overweight. I want shoes that will allow for less impact on my joints if that makes any sense ahaha... I don't really know the terminology.

Any help and/or suggestions welcome!

Thanks in Adv! :x

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You need to find the right shoes for YOU. Do a google search for running store in your area(not a big box sporting goods store,) and get fitted.
  • diana5066
    diana5066 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree.... you need to go to a running store and have them fit you for a pair. I tried getting them on my own at 1st and went through 2 pairs but although they were great shoes.. they were not right for me. I took them into the Running Room and they fit me properly for a pair. Honestly I never would have bought this pair on my own but they are awesome for me. Have progressed from run/walk.. where run was maybe 60 seconds to 30 min of running
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I really like new balance minimus for running. Sturdy, lightweight, and encourages good form.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I really like new balance minimus for running. Sturdy, lightweight, and encourages good form.

You may like them, they may not be right for the originator.

As above, I'd recommend going to a proper running store and getting their advice. Take your existing shoes with you as the wear pattern will give some indication of your form.

Personally I benefit from shoes with more control, to avoid exacerbating a longstanding issue. Some shoes are designed for heavier runners, but seek advice.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

You may like them, they may not be right for the originator.

As above, I'd recommend going to a proper running store and getting their advice. Take your existing shoes with you as the wear pattern will give some indication of your form.

Personally I benefit from shoes with more control, to avoid exacerbating a longstanding issue. Some shoes are designed for heavier runners, but seek advice.

Every time I went to a running store, I normally got steered towards shoes with padding that would be fine if I ran with a heel strike. Some people really enjoy the additional padding and control, but for me I did much better with a minimal style. OP should be aware of minimal shoes and how they can help some runners feel better and avoid injury.
  • ronimoore26
    Options
    After going to multiple running stores I tried a pair of Brooks, a pair of Mizunos and the New Balance Minimus shoes.... So a good $80 a pair... and after all of those, the shoes that work best for me were $14 at payless by Champion.... Crazy. But with all the other shoes I constantly had pain after during and after running, but the $14 Champions are perfect, I have no pain, they are light, sturdy and I can run farther in them and I'm still able to get up the next day and not worry about shin splints!

So, like others have said I guess it just matters what works for you. Many people speak highly of Brooks and Mizunos.... for me... they are horrid.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    The best shoes for running are the ones best suited to your foot strike and stride. Go to a running store where they can look at your gait and make suggestions. Avoiding injury is the key to falling in love with running and it starts with your shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Every time I went to a running store, I normally got steered towards shoes with padding that would be fine if I ran with a heel strike.

Fair enough, you didn't like the outcome. Lots of people do find that it helps them find an appropriate shoe.
    Some people really enjoy the additional padding and control

Well control is aimed more at overpronators whereas cushioned shoes tend to be aimed more at neutral runners or underpronators.
    but for me I did much better with a minimal style. OP should be aware of minimal shoes and how they can help some runners feel better and avoid injury.

They do seem to work very well for forefoot strikers and some midfoot strikers, so it's worth looking at. Although for an overweight, early stage runner they might be a bit extreme. Certainly worth articulating the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches though.

I used to use cushioned shoes, but tended to find myself vulnerable to injury until I moved to a more positive control shoe. That's helped me subsequently move towards a midfoot strike that my previous shoes hadn't really allowed me to develop.