How do you eat what you want and lose weight??

Options
I've seen a lot of members that eat what they enjoy (chips, cake, ice cream, etc.) and continue losing weight. I know it's all about moderation, but how does this actually work? I feel like if I used 200 calories on cookies versus 200 calories on yogurt, I'd end up getting hungry later. Because of that, my diet is really restricted, and I basically end up eating the same thing every day. I don't mind that now, but I feel like it won't help me in the future. Here's what a normal school day would look like for me.

BREAKFAST: 2 yogurts (120), half a PB&J sandwich (98) (218).

LUNCH: Tuna (90), salsa (10), 10g onions (5) (105), boiled egg (70), 2 yogurts (120) (295).

SNACK: Nature Valley granola bar (190).

DINNER: shirataki noodles (0), 308g stir fry zucchini (52), 70g onions (31), 116g carrots (48), 8g garlic chili oil (35), 1/4 tsp olive oil (10), 1 tbsp fish sauce (9) (185), 9 turkey meatballs (240) (425).

SNACK: 175g pomegranate (145), 4 cups Carbmaster vanilla yogurt (320).
1593 calories.

I would really like to eat the things I enjoy, but I don't even eat Vietnamese food anymore, because it's too hard to calculate the calories. I'd also like to enjoy hamburgers and sweets again, but whenever I consider making room for a hamburger, I end up thinking, "Is it really worth it to use 500+ calories on something so small?" The farthest I go to letting myself have something I enjoy is limiting myself to a PB&J banana sandwich on the weekends. At this point, I'm pretty sure I worry about quantity rather than quality. I'd rather have a lot of something I'm okay with eating versus a little bit of something I really want to eat so I can feel full.

It's spring break now, and I'm really tempted to eat whatever I want for the week. How can I change my mindset on food?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat so much yogurt?
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    It's about balance. Enjoy some things in moderation, and eat healthy filling foods the rest.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    200 calories in cookies would probably fill me up more than 200 calories of yogurt.

And yeah, why so much yogurt? Again, a burger would fill you up better plus has protein and iron in it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I have learned in the last 22 months is moderation. I continue to eat the foods I love and have just worked on portion control to stay within my calorie deficit for the week.

I have lost a lot of weight doing that. When I get to maintenance in about 30 more pounds - I will still be eating the things I love - in moderation.

Moderation is a skill. One that make weight loss possible.
  • nomnomgoodies
    nomnomgoodies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I've become used to eating a huge bowl of yogurt mixed with fruit at night. I do enjoy it, but should I focus on trying to get more protein in meat instead?
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating like this?
    And what were your eating habits before starting your journey?

I am asking because I guess that you are struggling more with feeling 'full' and 'satisfied' than other people do.
    This is something I noticed by myself as well.
    I used to eat double the portion sizes in comparison to what I eat today (I was never overweight; but I needed loooots of fruits and veggies to keep me kind of full).
    And for people who get full easier/earlier, this is less of an issue.

Because therefore, if you struggle with getting full, it is harder to give yourself those treats that other people can enjoy.
    At which height are you and how much weight do you want to lose? Do you do any sports and if so, do you eat those kcal back?

And do you drink enough? Sometimes, we mistake thirst for hunger.I noticed that when I drink 1 up to 1,5 liter, I feel hungrier than when I actually hit 2 liter a day.
    And the stuff you eat, is anything of that diet/low fat/low sugar? Because those diet- products can mess you up as well (if they influence the blood sugar, you might feel hungrier faster).
  • cerixon
    cerixon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I want a burger, I make it fit. It may not be my dream burger, but it still fills my craving. I may choose a wheat bun, a small (3-4oz) lean meet patty, and skip the cheese or have half a piece. That way I can still enjoy a burger when I want. And the calories are not outrageous.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    The unpleasant simple answer?
    I don't.

The more complicated one?
    I don't, everyday. 90% of the time I force myself to choke down yogurt or eggs for breakfast, nibble on something for lunch, have a handful of crackers or carrots for a snack and have some kind of grilled meat (it's chicken, it's almost always chicken), with a buttton of veggies, maybe a small serving of carbs. Looking at that I don't really eat the things I love anymore, because I don't eat whatever I feel like as soon as I decide I want it, I do however eat them. If I wake up and think "holy cow, I NEED to eat lasagna for dinner tonight" I plan my whole day's worth of eating around it. If I really want a steak for dinner then I have a salad for lunch to leave me the extra room. The ordinary day I described earlier isn't that way because I'm being restrictive on myself, it's boring and repetitive because it's easy and if I'm not craving anything then I don't need to be inspired by my meals.
    I know it sucks to have to think ahead, know roughly how many calories you'll need to be able to have a slice of pizza for dinner, and run the risk of going a bit over, but depending on what you have your loss goal per week set to you have a really decent calorie buffer between you and maintenance. If you eat your 200 cal cookies, and then feel ravenous later without any calories left for the day, munch on a couple mini carrots, and hope you're a little better at planning tomorrow:)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    200 calories in cookies would probably fill me up more than 200 calories of yogurt.

And yeah, why so much yogurt? Again, a burger would fill you up better plus has protein and iron in it.

I was wondering the same thing. You spend a large amount of calories on yogurt, which I don't understand if you aren't happy with it. When I want some "cheat" food (pasta, for example) I include a lot of vegetables with that meal to fill me up and provide nutrients. Many vegetables are also low in calories. I replace some of my cooking oils with Pam spray oil. I eat a large amount of fish that is low calorie and high protein, such as tuna, swordfish and tilapia. I still manage to have small amounts of the things I want and even indulge a bit every now and then. You just have to play around with your calories and find a balance that works for you.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Turf the Nature Valley Granola bar - unless you really love them - there are so many better things to eat with those calories...
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I make mini cookies so I can I have 1 or 2 cookies for 50 calories - you may be better off with the 100 calorie snack packs

I love chips - so I have one serving of a baked chip each day - 120 calories -

I eat burgers almost every day - I by Lauras low fat beef patties and low calorie bagels ( 100 calories )

I would suggest switching your evening snack for a low calorie protein shake which will come in about 120 cals and fill you up rather than 4 cups of yogurt - that frees ups 250 cals for treats

I also have a blow out meal every other week- just one meal - Usually on a day I sleep late - have a normal breakfast - do my long work out - try and have a light post work out late lunch - then a eat what you want dinner - I will always log everything after the fact and even eating as much pizza as I could I still didn`t go over 1700 calories for the day - given my work outs are usually a 5 -600 burn on those days I am still WELL under what I could eat so I`ll still get in my protein shake before bed and be within weight loss intake
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Take out the yogurt and granola bar and you could easily have a burger
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation. If I want two different kinds of junk food, I'll eat one today and the next one tomorrow. Gives me something to look forward to lol.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Turf the Nature Valley Granola bar - unless you really love them - there are so many better things to eat with those calories...

This, have something with more protein and nutrition
  • nomnomgoodies
    nomnomgoodies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating like this?
    And what were your eating habits before starting your journey?

I am asking because I guess that you are struggling more with feeling 'full' and 'satisfied' than other people do.
    This is something I noticed by myself as well.
    I used to eat double the portion sizes in comparison to what I eat today (I was never overweight; but I needed loooots of fruits and veggies to keep me kind of full).
    And for people who get full easier/earlier, this is less of an issue.

Because therefore, if you struggle with getting full, it is harder to give yourself those treats that other people can enjoy.
    At which height are you and how much weight do you want to lose? Do you do any sports and if so, do you eat those kcal back?

And do you drink enough? Sometimes, we mistake thirst for hunger.I noticed that when I drink 1 up to 1,5 liter, I feel hungrier than when I actually hit 2 liter a day.
    And the stuff you eat, is anything of that diet/low fat/low sugar? Because those diet- products can mess you up as well (if they influence the blood sugar, you might feel hungrier faster).

Honestly, I've been eating like this for awhile. My eating habits before weren't too bad. I've never been overweight. I'm 4'11" at 113 pounds. I'm not so concerned with losing pounds but more focused on the inches and changing my body composition. I gained weight after I was diagnosed with Lupus from the prednisone steroids. Since my condition has been stable, I've been trying to lose fat overall and maintain lean muscle. I use TDEE-10% and eat 1650 calories. I've been doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 3x a week and dumbbell strength training 3x a week, but I'm looking for a gym now because I'd like to start lifting with a barbell.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want I have lost weight as long as Im exercising Im good I do not go overboard and eat cake everyday or ice cream maybe once or twice a month tried Fast food but the next day realized I cant eat that stuff anymore since have been cooking healthy so I stay away from that
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If I want to have a specific meal at dinner, for example, I budget my calories for the day around it. And I exercise - seriously, nothing is more motivating to get out and go for a walk or a run or something than knowing I can then eat MORE during the day! :happy:

Last weekend I went on a 6 mile like with ~1000 ft. elevation gain and then ate five - yes, 5 - pieces of pizza for dinner and it 100% fit in my calories for the day. :smile: But I knew I wanted pizza for dinner so I had smaller meals earlier and earned a whole bunch of extra calories through exercise.
  • buttercupcakegina
    buttercupcakegina Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I personally don't.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tbh it all depends on the diet and where your macros are at try to eat healthy all day as best you can and then once youve logged everything and you look back at MFP and see you have a few more calories/carbs left then maybe then is the time to eat half of that cookie laying on the counter thats really the only time I myself even consider it any other time its kept under lock and key sure it sucks having to make ur own breakfast when your two roomies come in with McD's and yes that giant bag of Reese's sitting under the microwave is tempting but you gotta ask yourself are those foods more important than you weight goal? Probably not. so for now I wouldnt think about it too much if your uncertain if you can eat it the best thing is to stay away. better to be safe then sorry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think its all about moderation. If you want to let loose and have a burger, then find a way to make it somewhat healthy and enjoy. You can't go on forever just eating yogurt everyday, so your going to have to learn about enjoying foods in moderation. And also learn about how you can make just about any recipe, but switch it around a bit, to make it healthy. This should be about a lifestyle change, not a diet. So play around with some foods that you enjoy and eat them in moderation.