craving so bad!!!!!

chazsucks
chazsucks Posts: 170
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Every single day I eat chocolate. If I run out of chocolate i make nesquik chocolate milkshake or eat chocolate biscuits etc.

I've literally just started this journey and don't know how to overcome the cravings, I just tried to snack on a banana instead but it's just not the same :(

I love chocolate! and i miss chocolate! it's only been half a day what am i going to do :(

I read about cravings and it says they usually pass after a while but i can't stop thinking about it. Even studying, watching tv, eating my lunch etc

Help :(

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    If you area person who can handle moderation then don't banish chocolate from your life. Get a good quality chocolate and only eat it when you have the opportunity to really enjoy it. Don't eat chocolate mindlessly infront of the TV or while you talking on the phone...make it an event to enjoy. That way you can have the taste you need to hold off cravings and manage the calories and stay within your goals. If you are still determined to stop all chocolate I would go with an every other day approach at first. See if you can hold off the craving every other day..knowing you can have your treat tomorrow will make it more bearabe....then over time make the treat every 3 days or on WEdnesdays and Sundays or something. Last thought...not the great quality chocolate but I know they used to have a chocolate special K cereal...you could try eating something like that where the chocolate craving is satisified as are fiber and nutrients requirements etc....
  • krasay
    krasay Posts: 23
    Try this reduction method, Buy you a large bag of hershey kisses, Get some sandwich bags and divide them up in the bags, Puts 16 in the first bag, 14 in the 2nd, 12 in the 3rd, 10 in the 4th etc.(may take more than one bag of kisses but that is ok) Only eat 1 an hour the first day, Then increase the time between each one, until you get down to two a day.

Then you can either go to 1 a day or stay with two a day, They should not blow your diet and you have yourself in control. Also you can continue to have 1 o 2 chocolates a day. Just plan them in your calorie intake.

If you get down to this point them you can also go to where you skip days without it.

Good Luck,
  • you're just starting out so be kind to yourself. there's no switch to flip to make you suddenly enjoy eating carrots over chocolate! :noway:

be diligent about journaling EVERYTHING you eat and drink in the beginning. be sure to budget some of your calories for chocolate. if it's not "forbidden", it won't rule you. as you begin to incorporate healthy food choices into your daily life, chocolate will have less hold on you. you'll find though, a "healthy lifestyle" does not mean you can never have chocolate again....it means you learn how to balance indulgences with great choices.

good luck little choc-o-holic! :drinker:

(btw....i drink swiss miss 25 cal hot choc when my choc button has been pushed :blushing: )
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    I am working on that myself. :) Have you tried Sugar Free Carnation Instant breakfast? They have a chocolate one that is pretty good. Just try to change your mind and only let yourself have one piece. Maybe start with only letting you have 100 calories of chocolate a day then work down? Cold Turkey probably won't help you.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Do you like dark chocolate? Dark chocolate is actually the best for you. Just eat it in moderation.

Take greek plain yogurt and mix half a packet of hot cocoa mix in it. There's a chocolate fix!
  • KLP75
    KLP75 Posts: 21
    I freeze my kisses. That way it takes longer to eat them and it curbs the craving!
  • KLP75
    KLP75 Posts: 21
    I freeze my kisses. That way it takes longer to eat them and it curbs the craving!
  • SKelley1218
    SKelley1218 Posts: 43 Member
    I love chocolate too!! Here are two things that have helped me so far, I usually only eat chocolate candy (my fav right now is hersheys bliss dark chocolates) on the days where I do a harder workout and have more food calories. On other days when I am really craving chocolate I try to stick to Jello Mousse Temptations becuase they are really good and only have 60 calories.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Omg I get SUCH bad chocolate cravings! I've found that what's best for me is if you can get hold of some good, sugar free dark chocolate. I find dark chocolate way more satisfying than milk/white and also because it's sugar free I don't get that manic "more! more! more!" feeling :tongue:
  • Thanks everyone! Great suggestions but I have no idea what some of them are as I'm in the UK?

I guess moderation is the key for now... and yes I like dark chocolate so maybe I'll switch if that's a healthier option

xxx
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Not exactly easy to find Hershey's kisses over here, though. I just limit myself. I buy the big 230g bars of Cadbury's dairy milk and allow myself to have a square or two at the end of the day. It's kind of torturous at first, but once you learn to eat it in moderation, it starts to taste even better. If you can't do it by yourself, only eat chocolate when you've got someone supportive near you. Have them hide the chocolate and then give you a couple of squares and return the chocolate to its hiding place. If you like mint chocolate, the co-operative has some dark chocolate with peppermint oil that is really good and one square is enough. They're big squares and when you're done eating one, you shouldn't want any more. It's not going to be easy, but this is just the beginning. Allow for some slip-ups, because you are only human, and eventually you'll be able to just eat a little bit and be satisfied. Good luck.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    When you need some chocolate skip the fluff and just go straight to the chocolate! I keep some semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can saver each one a while, and a tbls is 70 calories. Then you have skipped the "cookie" or whatever part that adds calories but you got your fix. a tbls of chocolate chips savored properly goes a long way! Even 2-4 of them will fix you up.
  • rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    The cravings WILL get better. I had a really hard time when I first started out and would feel so frustrated in the evening when I was craving all this stuff and I'd already used up my calories. But just like everyone else has said...if you can eat it in moderation and limit it to just a tiny bit a day, you don't have to cut it out of what you eat. It's when you eat it uncontrollably and binge when it's a bad thing. I still will enjoy chocolate. I just don't let myself eat entire bars and hand fulls at a time.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Chocolate is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. That being said, enjoy chocolate in moderation and if you can't moderate keep it out of the house. I have to do that with peanut butter, yogurt, chocolate milk, and who knows what. That sure works though.
  • NatalieWinning
    I forgot to mention, do you have sugar free jello pudding or sugar free mouse mixes? I bought a low fat 70 cal per serving chocolate cheesecake mousse mix. I haven't tried it yet, but if I have to go there, it's here for me!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    I eat chocolate almost every day. I choose dark chocolate that's at least 85% cocoa (Green & Blacks is my favourite, but I find Lindt is more affordable for the amount I consume ;D) and after dinner sometime when I'm thinking "Mmm, some chocolate would be good..." I go grab a square or two and enjoy them.

And for the record, from a weight-loss perspective, I've lost 21 pounds in the last 6 weeks alone even with my daily indulgence of cocoa-y goodness (not to mention my daily Starbucks!) - you can work anything you want into your daily calories.
  • NatalieWinning
    Low cal cocoa. Use powdered cocoa, powdered milk or low fat milk (or almond or soy milk), a dash of salt, and either sugar or fake sugar. Hot cocoa!
  • You aren't alone. One trick I found is to get sugar free dark chocolate peices by Hersheys. (32 calories) I take a bite of choc. with a sea salt almond. You get protien ans well as the choc. Amazing. Weight watchers also has some yummy ice cream bars that aer chocolately. The dark choc/rasberry bars are wonderful. I had fits my first week off of sweets. It is a real addiction. It will pass as you free your body detoxes. I'm not saying you won't love chocolate, but you will learn to eat way less of it. It happens. Just hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.