Scale Addictions!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weighed in every AM for several months, but as I got closer to my goal and the weight loss slowed, I decided to try once or twice a week. For me, I found that more frustrating, because I knew mathematically how much the scale should have moved during the week, and was devastated when it didn't. I also wouldn't have any chance to see any type of encouraging number, even .2lbs., for another week. It placed too much pressure, importance and anticipation on that one day and one weigh in. Also, when I would have a high-calorie day, I knew I had several days to "make up for it" before my weigh in, so I started taking my calorie intake a bit less seriously.

My solution has been to use the free app called "Happy Scale". You enter your daily weight, and it follows the trends of your entries and gives you a "predicted true weight". I can see how a little jump up or down on the scale doesn't really change my weight trend, and how many pounds I am losing on average every 30 and 90 days. I also see when those "tiny jumps up" start adding up and affect my trend, and nip it in the bud.

Works for me :)
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing daily also and its "interesting" to see the fluctuations. It seems like right before a sustained loss there is often a gain. Haven't been doing it long enough to know for sure though.

I read something last week on the forum from someone who said they only log a weight after it has been the same for 3 days. I like that idea and have decided to implement it.

I wholeheartedly agree! I adopted this method a long time ago... that way I can indulge my scale addiction (though I have cut back,) and I don't wig out so much about about temporary fluctuations any more. I only log a loss if it shows up a few days in a row, so I know it's real. (And even that can fluctuate, I may show a 1.5 pound loss one day but only a pound the next, so I average if from over a couple of days.) This method has done a lot for my sanity!
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I weigh myself twice a day and I like doing it that way. You can celebrate each little decrease, no matter how small, you learn to see the fluctuations as just that and not get disheartened. You learn what you eat and drink that makes your weight go up. I know if I have a takeaway pizza I'll be a few pounds up on the scale - but it's ok, because I know it's just water. If I have a few drinks I will be down - dehydration. I almost find it more disheartening to step on the scale after a week and not see a big change!
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I probably stand on the scales about 6 times a day. I love seeing it go up and down depending on how much I just ate, after the shower, after a workout etc.
    My 'official' weigh in time is first ting in the morning, so even if i "gain" 3 lbs ina day, I know it will be gone the next morning
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If you have an unhealthy obsession with weighing yourself I would suggest taking photos and measurements and throwing away the scale.

Or giving them to someone else so you have to ask them to weigh yourself is not a bad idea either.

But no matter how often you weigh yourself you have to accept that your weight fluctuates.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much every day in the morning after I've peed and before breakfast (want to see the smallest possible number I can haha) and then I input whatever I weighed into an excel spreadsheet with a corresponding graph.

I guess you could say I'm a little obsessed but I'd just argue that I have an analytical mind ;)
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Soooooo Addicted to the scale ! I moved it to 3 different locations this morning so I could get the lowest reading. It ruins my day if weight goes up...especially since I have been staying at, or below, my calorie goal, and exercising 6 days week for the past month. I was weighing every 3 days. Now going to weigh in just once a week Monday mornings ( that will keep me behaving over the weekend). Otherwise I get so angry at the scale I just want to give up.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Quit the addiction.
    Weigh yourself in the morning, after you pee, once a week. Same day, same time.

It'll avoid the disappointment, and will give you a more accurate reading.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    wow...just posted under another topic dealing with the scale... I can't agree with you more about wanting to just eat eat eat when you think you did great and the scale says otherwise... that's why I don't weigh anymore... might do so on July 1... will be my first anniversary of my break up with the scale (except for a brief encounter at the end of November for a pre op checkup... was down 52lbs then!)...
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day. It can be frustrating at times, but I also find it really valuable to see my weight fluctuations. I have a lot of issues with water retention, so seeing how it is going on a day-to-day basis keeps my frustration in check, I think. Otherwise, I would get annoyed when I weighed myself and I gained, even though I should have lost. Now I can see the pattern of water retention a lot more clearly. I really only show my weight loss about two days out of the month.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have found that it is best to choose one day a week to weigh in.... wear the same thing every time... and weigh at the same time each week.... for instance... weigh at 7 am on Monday mornings in a t shirt and shorts. I always weight before I eat or drink anything, and after going to the restroom. The least amount of variables the better indication of your actual weight. Drinking a cup of coffee can make you show up a pound heavier on the scale. My doctor told me that a persons weight can fluctuate as much as 10 pounds over the course of a day due to eating, drinking, swelling, clothing and shoes, etc.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Every morning I happily weigh myself, and then I do it again every night. It is an addiction, I agree with that. But I know due to my sodium intake and swelling, I will weigh 3 to 4 pounds higher at night. The good part about this is that I always know I'll weigh less in the morning :)
  • Mom2my3girls
    Mom2my3girls Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm Stephanie, and I have a scale addiction! I hate being addicted to the scale. I too would weigh myself two or three times a day. Every time I went into the bathroom I would get on it. So, for Lent, I decided to give it up. Well, our pastor says that we can do whatever we gave up on Sundays. Today was the first day I weighed myself since the start of Lent on March 5th. I have been staying under my calorie goal, and working out every day but Sunday for 45 min to an hour each time. The scale was up today from last time I weighed!:O. I am so done with the scale now. I like the idea of having someone hide it from me. I think I will have my husband hide it and not get it back out until Easter. I know the scale doesn't matter as much as how I look and feel. Thank you for this post!
  • calliegirl1973
    calliegirl1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself a lot more than i do now. sometimes once a day some times not, depends.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    this is me definitely. I cant help it everytime I walk past it. it calls my name. I weight when I get up and after exercise and before bed.. I only count it once a week in the morning as far as official weight goes but yes when it goes up I am frustrated and when it goes down I am happy. your weight at night is only the food you have in your stomach. it takes 12 hours to truly digest it. check it tomorrow you know you will. it will be back down. I think I need to hide the batteries from my self but probably wont. :drinker: :flowerforyou: