Which cereal is better?

Options
I love cereals so much, integral cereals! I do not like sugar cereals, or coloured cereals, i like the kind of special k cereals, but i heard they got too many calories and sugar, but i don't know! So, which cereal is healthier and lower in calories?
So, special k, or corn flakes or...? i do not know!

Replies

• rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Just choose one that you like. Simple.

I personally like oats over cereal.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just choose one that you like. Simple.

I personally like oats over cereal.

This

I like my oatmeal for breakfast, not the instant kind. Either steel cut oats or rolled oats.

I cooked them with Cinnamon stick, diced apple and dried cranberries. Mixed with water and added almond milk after boiling. After served, added cinnamon powder and flaxseed ground as toppings. Yummy !
  • insomnical
    insomnical Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Canyon Creek Crunch from Bear River Valley is my favorite. No HFCS, preservatives or hydrogenated oil. Just tasty goodness.

As for oatmeal, I really dig Better Oat's blueberry muffin and chai spiced. Seriously on chai spiced, it doesn't get much better than that (unless you can give me an ACTUAL cup of chai... then we'll talk).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I agree oatmeal is great, but if you're still looking for ready-made cold cereals without added sugars, shredded wheat and plain oat cereals (like Cheerios) are good choices. Add fresh fruit if you want more flavor, sweetness, and micronutrients.
  • melanie_12345
    Options
    Personally I stick to Multi-grain Cheerios, but Kashi brand cereals are pretty good too (however some of the more flavored kinds do have higher sugar content, so be sure to read the nutrition facts before purchasing.)
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Eat the kinds you enjoy. However, I will add that I will choose cereals with a larger serving size (I.e. 150 calories for 1 cup) versus one with a smaller serving size. To me it makes me feel like I get more.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Multi-grain Cheerios, no contest.
  • Noc6285
    Noc6285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rice Chex
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My favourite right now are blueberry wheats. They're essentially shreddies stuffed with a blueberry filling, though they're available with other fruits.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Cheerios
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like All Bran Buds....they do have 7 grams of sugar per serving which is one more than multi-grain Cheerios, but a 1/3 cup serving of All Bran Buds has 11 grams of fibre while MG Cheerios only has 3. I mix mine with plain FF Greek yogurt for protein, a few raisins for sweetness and some hemp hearts or chia seeds for a healthy fat. Yum!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    without or not much sugar in it...
    well..the easiest way is...the not fun ones!.... if it's a child cereal...ain't good lol...
    It's always the boring ones that are good.

Special K Protein are good....All Kashi cereals too.
    There's more...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like All Bran Buds....they do have 7 grams of sugar per serving which is one more than multi-grain Cheerios, but a 1/3 cup serving of All Bran Buds has 11 grams of fibre while MG Cheerios only has 3. I mix mine with plain FF Greek yogurt for protein, a few raisins for sweetness and some hemp hearts or chia seeds for a healthy fat. Yum!

I have a serving of All Bran Buds almost every morning. I usually mix it with something else, including other cereals.
  • princessblanquisima
    princessblanquisima Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what about nestle fitness?
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love cereals so much, integral cereals! I do not like sugar cereals, or coloured cereals, i like the kind of special k cereals, but i heard they got too many calories and sugar, but i don't know! So, which cereal is healthier and lower in calories?

You can see on the packet how much sugar is in a 45g bowl (and no one eats just 45g of cereal!) I struggled to find low sugar cereals for my kids, but thankfully they like granola and muesli. Other reasonably low-sugar options include Cheerios and plain Shreddies. Special K's a sugary con, don't listen to that tempting lady in the red bikini.

I've switched to Jordan's Apple and Sultana muesli. I can't handle the entirely sugarless plain muesli, but the few apples and raisins sweeten this one enough to be quite nice. There's no additional added sugar.

Breakfast doesn't necessarily have to be low calorie, it just needs to fill you up and last til lunch. I used to eat masses of Cheerios at 7am but I was starving by 10am so it was kind of pointless.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fiber one, original = 60 calories and you get the fiber! There are several low cal fiber one cereals.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

All full of sugar, unless it's proper muesli, wheat, etc. Even then I would be sceptical.

Only thing special about Special K is the lack of taste it has.
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    Cheerios saved my life.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Special K's a sugary con, don't listen to that tempting lady in the red bikini.

I agree - it's horribly high in sugar for something that purports to be a healthy cereal
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    screen-shot-2013-02-27-at-1-02-23-pm-copy.png

label083241.gif

Special K
    nutlabel-1158118.jpg

/thread