Slow progress any suggestions?

Options
I'm female, 36 yr old, 5ft 7 inch tall and currently 193lb. I've struggled to loose weight for some time, usually when I try to loose weight I aim for 1200 cals per day. There's a lot of conflicting advice out there, but i decided to increase to 1400 cals. After 4 weeks at 1400 cals, I lost 2lb in the first week & now nothing for the last 3. I have started walking and hiking, but am not eating back all those cals as I am not sure how accurate the exercise cals really are on here. I'm aiming to eat back 50-75%.

I track everything that I eat & drink. I weigh everything & eat very little processed foods. Cooking most meals from fresh.

I'm interested to know what cals other people with similar stats are aiming for. I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that I'm on the right track. It's strange to eat more, but eating 1200 was having no results at all.

S

Replies

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 121 lbs. I eat 1675+ per day, forget or don't make time to exercise very often, and am still losing .5lb per week.

You're not eating enough. No way, no how.

Edited to add:
    Check out this group (especially the stickied & locked posts) - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    as far as calories go I trust MFP with that as far as losing goes make sure you have a reasonable deficit and remember water water water water water water waterrrrrrr. stopped drinking water and drank other 'diet' 'zero cal' drinks stalled for bout a week went back to water was fine so get those eight cups in a day and make sure to put EVERYTHING you eat into MFP even if it was just a little craving you had. Also make sure your not only keeping up with your weight but also you measurements waist legs ect because you say hiking you might actually just be putting on leg muscle but still losing inches on the waist. just some things to thing about keep at it and good luck
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar story and weight loss has been slow. The good news for me is that I'm very comfy with the eating/lifestyle balance, so it's pretty easy to stay on track. The 200-300 extra calories in my day REALLY help with that. I'm just thankful for a downward trend, you know?

So my vote is yes, you're doing fine!

Edit to add: I actually upped my base calories to 1500 AND I use the exercise calories for eating back or not depending on my hunger.
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    Every body is different, some people can eat 1700 cals and still lose weight and some eat 1200 and barely lose anything. As said before, embrace the fact that you are losing some, even though its slow! You might also have gained muscle weight, so the results on the scale are not always very accurate.
    Ps: remeber, the slower you lose the weight the more likely it is that it will stay off of you forever. :)
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 189. I usually eat about 1600 - 1700 calories a day. I've noticed if I go lower then that my weight loss tends to stall. My BMR is 1602 so eating less makes my body hold onto the weight because it thinks it's being deprived. If you put in 2 lbs per week when you set up your account try to change it to 1 lb a week and see if that helps. Also have you been losing inches - I notice when I stall sometimes I will still be losing inches. You may want to input your measurements and track those as well - they may give you a more accurate measurement of your loss. Good luck!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance all - much appreciated. The concept of eating more to loose is a bit weird for me, but I'm sticking with it. The extra 200 cals a day make it much easier and i might see if I can eat more cals & loose - I just didn't want to increase cals too quick. I'm so used to cooking lean that it sometimes hard to add in the extra cals.

On the subject if drinks - I rarely drink alcohol or fizzy drinks. It tends to be water, coffee or homemade smoothies with my nutri bullet.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 36 yr old, 5ft 7 inch tall and currently 193lb. I've struggled to loose weight for some time, usually when I try to loose weight I aim for 1200 cals per day. There's a lot of conflicting advice out there, but i decided to increase to 1400 cals. After 4 weeks at 1400 cals, I lost 2lb in the first week & now nothing for the last 3. I have started walking and hiking, but am not eating back all those cals as I am not sure how accurate the exercise cals really are on here. I'm aiming to eat back 50-75%.

I track everything that I eat & drink. I weigh everything & eat very little processed foods. Cooking most meals from fresh.

I'm interested to know what cals other people with similar stats are aiming for. I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that I'm on the right track. It's strange to eat more, but eating 1200 was having no results at all.

S

Hi there, I am 5'6 and 135lbs, I eat 1650 plus my exercise calories (all of them) and I lose about a pound every couple of weeks.

Weight loss is not linear and especially if you started a new activity, this would cause your body to retain some water and mask any fat loss you may have achieved. With 1400 I guess you are eating at the lower edge of what you should be, so if your logging is accurate, you should be losing. It may come off in the next couple of weeks all at once, you wouldn't be the first one to suddenly see a 5lb loss only to stall for another few weeks.

Give your body the time to adjust. Each time you increase your calories, your glycogen stores get bigger (unless you are eating no carbs) and they hold on to some more water as well. So there is this to take into account as well.

I'm not saying any of the above is 100% the explanation to what is happening, just trying to make a point that there could be a number of things going on and doesn't have to mean that you are not successful. In my opinion you could eat a bit more and still lose, but it's about what is comfortable to you.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" SW was 230 CW 176 and I eat 1650 for a 1lb loss a week. I walk 5-6 days a week averaging between 1500-1800 cals burned. I eat back those cals when I'm hungry, if I'm not I try to net between 1400-1500 or else I feel like poo.
  • slk_5555
    Options
    I'm 5'7" SW was 230 CW 176 and I eat 1650 for a 1lb loss a week. I walk 5-6 days a week averaging between 1500-1800 cals burned. I eat back those cals when I'm hungry, if I'm not I try to net between 1400-1500 or else I feel like poo.

Wow that's great results. Yeah, really hoping I can get it upto 1600 and have a steady loss. Although right now, even 1400 feels like luxury;-) might try 1600 in a couple of weeks.
  • slk_5555
    Options

S

Hi there, I am 5'6 and 135lbs, I eat 1650 plus my exercise calories (all of them) and I lose about a pound every couple of weeks.

Weight loss is not linear and especially if you started a new activity, this would cause your body to retain some water and mask any fat loss you may have achieved. With 1400 I guess you are eating at the lower edge of what you should be, so if your logging is accurate, you should be losing. It may come off in the next couple of weeks all at once, you wouldn't be the first one to suddenly see a 5lb loss only to stall for another few weeks.

Give your body the time to adjust. Each time you increase your calories, your glycogen stores get bigger (unless you are eating no carbs) and they hold on to some more water as well. So there is this to take into account as well.

I'm not saying any of the above is 100% the explanation to what is happening, just trying to make a point that there could be a number of things going on and doesn't have to mean that you are not successful. In my opinion you could eat a bit more and still lose, but it's about what is comfortable to you.

I think you could be right. I've been eating at 1200 for do long that I don't want to increase too quick & scare myself with a weight gain. Hopefully I can increase it again to 1600 soon.
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been slow on the weight loss but I measure every two weeks. My last measure day I had only lost 1 pound but lost 3" on my waist and 2 inches off bust and backside. If you were out of shape, your probably gaining some muscle. Also you mentioned smoothies when discussing what u drink. Smoothies often have enough calories to be a full meal or a large snack. Good luck
  • slk_5555
    Options
    I have been slow on the weight loss but I measure every two weeks. My last measure day I had only lost 1 pound but lost 3" on my waist and 2 inches off bust and backside. If you were out of shape, your probably gaining some muscle. Also you mentioned smoothies when discussing what u drink. Smoothies often have enough calories to be a full meal or a large snack. Good luck

Yeah, I should probably start measuring to keep me motivated. I certainly feel slimmer in the last 4 weeks.

For the smoothies, i make them myself & track all ingredients - some are green and virtuous and some include banana & cocoa and are delicious. I take one to work to sip thought the morning, stops me snacking & gets some good nutrients into the system. Most of mine come in at 200 cals. I use the nutri bullet which means I don't just get the juice, but the fibre too.