1 Month to get into shape! Suggestions??

Options
OK, admittedly I haven't been on here in months and my diet has fallen apart due to various issues. But I am no where as in shape as I was the last time I was on here. I've gained a little weight but not a big deal but I have been eating junk! (Eugh that word!) I have an upcoming 12 MILE Walk/run that I don't think I'm physically ready for. I need to cleanse my body which hopefully take less than a month but also exercise more so I'm ready for it! So what I'm basically asking is what can I do to make it a little more easier? And what exercises do you recommend for helping me on the 12 miles? Also any tips on helping me "cleanse" would be most welcome. I am so determined to do this 12 mile sponsored route! But I need to be ready for it, even if it takes a month :o)) any tips/ideas are mostly welcome! Thanks xxx

Replies

• xnancyelizabeth
    xnancyelizabeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm not asking about losing weight in a month, I mean more on a health, diet and fitness level to help me get through the 12 miles a little easier! Thank you!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You didn't get out of shape in a month and you won't get back into shape in a month.

Put any idea of a "cleanse" out of your mind. They're unnecessary and some are potentially harmful. Your liver and kidneys do that work for your body.

Nutritionally, focus on getting adequate protein, good fats, and fiber by eating a variety of meats, vegetables, dairy, fruit, grains, and legumes.

As for the run walk, what you need to do is run and walk 5 to 6 days a week and build up your endurance.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Try to C25K program, free app on your phone. It's a plan that slowly increases the speed and duration of your running.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Start running/walking again, eat less crappy food.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    the only thing that will get you read for a 12 mile walk/run is to get out there and do the miles. Put in the commitment, the effort and the training and in 1 month you will be a helluva lot better off than you are now. I don't know what to say about a "cleanse" though - I have no idea what that means!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've never found the type of foods I eat particularly change my performance at sports, providing I meet macros, get a selection of micronutrients etc.
    in preparation for exercise on Saturday, on Friday I was eating loads of white bread, sweets, ice cream and so on.

Getting out and walking/running is going to be the best bet.
    12 miles is a fair bit to run, but should be fine to get used to for a walk in a month, I'd say - in training I'd be putting in as much running as you can (making sure you don't go all out and injure yourself), so you know what you're capable of on the day.

I started running again at the start of the year after not having done much for over 6 months and had done an 11 miler after a month. Yesterday's was considerably longer and I walked al the uphill bits, but tried to take it a bit easy and accepted that towards the end I was going to feel more tired.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    asks about getting in shape in too short a time frame. check.
    asks about trying to do an event they haven't prepared for. check.
    mentions a cleanse. check.

edBQBeJ.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Start several months ago.
  • Mugiwarah
    Mugiwarah Posts: 40
    Options
    Yeah; Forget it
  • xnancyelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you to those who comment useful and helpful comments (workout ninja / geebusuk and the person who posted about the running app).. And to those who just trollf forums, post unsupportive and negative comments...what are you even doing on here.... Thought this site was for support, motivation and friendly advice. People like you always make others feel even more crap about themselves and unmotivated. You never know who's behind a screen and what kind of battles they are fighting, think before you speak and don't be so rude.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who comment useful and helpful comments (workout ninja / geebusuk and the person who posted about the running app).. And to those who just trollf forums, post unsupportive and negative comments...what are you even doing on here.... Thought this site was for support, motivation and friendly advice. People like you always make others feel even more crap about themselves and unmotivated. You never know who's behind a screen and what kind of battles they are fighting, think before you speak and don't be so rude.

Now, i'm sorry I attempted to be helpful.
  • xnancyelizabeth
    Options
    SunofaBeach forgot to mention you were also one of the more useful comments lol. Sorry. :)
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your $$ on a cleanse, just clean up your diet a bit and your body will take care of that for you.

As for the run, start doing run/walk intervals and gradually build up your mileage.

Good luck!
  • xnancyelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you, yes I most certainly won't be buying any cleansing products I was more referring to a natural cleanse, organic, fibre, etc etc. thanks :-) and the build up on each run sounds good too and do-able!
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Maybe you can jog a mile and then walk a mile, slowly increase. I find it helps me prepare for long distance if I had at least walked the distance several times before!

Drink lots of water, eat protein, get adequate sleep :)

Don't be hard on yourself - you can't perfect yourself in a month but you can surely improve! Progress is progress, best of luck! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You don't need a cleanse, just start fresh now. Cleanses are bunk.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Named as being helpful, damn, must sort my act out :P.

Anyway, yes, definitely agree on the above - the concept of a "cleanse" has no decent backing and seems to have just been developed to sell snake oil.

Your body gets rid of any toxins as you consume. If you want an idea of how long it typically takes, get really drunk :).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    to get in the best shape possible given a short time frame, and that you're totally unprepared?

Since you can't go back in a time machine.....
    Start now. This second. Go out and start logging miles. Walk. Run a little, Walk again. Don't injure yourself.
    Clean up your diet. Eat enough to fuel the miles you're going to put in.

Do your best.

Good luck.