not fair

Options
ok so the great news is that my husband joined. Well i set up his profile for him and stuff and he is allowed close to 3000 calories a day. ok well he is always so busy and playing video games and i don't know if he really eats that much but he still keeps gaining weight. i don't get it. am i missing something?!

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    um - not to be presumptuous - but is he bigger/taller than you?

edited to clarify:
    note that this applies to your exercise burn too. i know i don't exercise as much as other people on this site, but i literally burn less also b/c i'm smaller. (i'm 5'-0" tall!!)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what you'e asking. Are you asking is MFP is giving him too many calories, which is resulting in weight gain?
  • jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    Options
    oh not really asking anything, just saying. yes he is taller much taller and bigger. i know he's a guy and should have more calories to eat but im just saying he doesn't really eat that much but he's still gaining weight. how would he lose weight??
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Men need more than women (it's not a sexist thing, it's just reality). My fiance is a couple inches taller than me & we weigh about the same (now since I lost weight :tongue: ), but he's allowed over 2000 calories without exercise & all he has to do to lose 5 lbs is stop drinking soda & eating too much mac & cheese or pasta & workout for maybe 20mins 3x p/wk.. For me to lose 5 lbs, I have to drop to 1200 cals + exercise at least 500 calories EVERYday, if I go even 1 calorie over 1200 I'm done!

Keep in mind, portions & WHAT you eat may be the culprit (like the quick thing of fries from Wendy's on the way home, many hundreds of calories and not much nutrition!): most restaurant portions are for 2, yet they serve you the entire thing one shot. Fast food placed are 800+ calories for a sandwich, fries & soda: b-fast from McDonalds is well over 500 calories; soda's, juices, beer, a little bit of chocolate, ice cream, etc: it add ups to a lot more than some realize.

I think it's great that your hubby joined (my fiance mite actually fully join as well since he's seen the results I've been getting & he doesn't want me to weigh too much less than him since I'll start stealing his jeans that I can now fit into :laugh: ); give him the support he needs & think of this as a fun activity the 1 of you can do together. If anything, the competetivness may actually strengthen an already strong bond between the two of you :smile:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    3,000 calories does seem like a lot if he's trying to lose weight.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Edited: I just thought of something - maybe he should adjust his Activity Level - maybe it's the difference between Sedentary and Light.

On another note, check to make sure he's eating enought <=== the body hangs onto everything if you don't eat enough.
    This creates a frustrating cycle b/c when people plateau they often exercise even more and eat even less - and the scale gets stuck...

Good Luck! :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals a day to lose, I will eat 2000 to maintain. I work inside and behind a computer most day, I do walk 3-4 times a week. 3000 to me is way too much
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    ...depending on his stats, he might be eating too little for weight loss. some people get stuck when they eat below their CURRENT needs - their body hangs onto everything. <== sorry i don't have more info, but any calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but sometimes people get 'stuck' and then think they need to eat even less and exercise more - when in reality they need to eat more.

^ this is a fairly unpopular view on this site, as it leads to slower weight loss, but if he gets stuck, maybe look into it... :flowerforyou:
    I agree, too few cals can stall a weight loss or cause a gain simply because your body is confused when it will get to eat next it hangs onto the weight. Eating less processed foods will make a huge difference as well, getting in PLENTY of water and moving our bodies is what will take the weight off! Might have him look over his food diary, bump his cals he eats up if he's not eating enough and share with him on how important it is to get plenty of water down each day.

Wishing you both well and welcome to MFP:flowerforyou:

ahh and getting enough sleep is by far just as important as water intake, excercise and healthy food choices!:drinker:
  • jbuck3
    Options
    Thats kinda what I was wondering when I do that how many calories needed to live it's like 2300, The program gives me around 2200 for the day with no exercise. So I may start reducing from that.