JM's 30 Day Shred or Elliptical?

Options
Hi,

So, I really don't like exercise DVD"s; I prefer the gym. However, I've heard lots of amazing stories about JM's 30 Day Shred. That said, I love the elliptical because it's easier on my knees and supposedly burns more calories. Here's my question:

It looks like I could do the elliptical for longer (100rpm for 30-40 minutes) and overall burn more calories than the 30 Day Shred. Does that sound right? I mean, I used the calorie calculator, and they both give me a nice workout. But if I do Pilates on the side 20 minutes/day for five days a week, plus elliptical for 35 minutes/day, could I still get the same results as with 30DS?

Note: Either way, I am going to be watching and keeping my calories around 1500/day.

Please let me know, thank you!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Why would you work out for longer only to do less good for your body? IMO 30 Day Shred gives a better workout/results and bang for your time than Pilates and the elliptical..

It's up to you though..
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Why would you work out for longer only to do less good for your body? IMO 30 Day Shred gives a better workout/results and bang for your time than Pilates and the elliptical..

It's up to you though..
    Agreed! The elliptical may burn more calories, but the 30 Day Shred gives you a good full body workout. :)
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You would burn more calories by just doing the elliptical for longer. But the 30DS works out more of your body and tones a lot more than the elliptical would.

Why not try the 30DS, and add some extra sessions on the machines for the days you feel up to it? The dvd only takes 25-30 minutes.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Do a mixture of both! That's what I'm doing right now. Usually do 30ds then the elliptical for 15-20 minutes. It's working quite nicely for me :)
  • paula5077
    paula5077 Posts: 57
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels 6 weeks 6 pack and BeFit 30 day butt lift. (ordered off amazon, got both for under $20 w/shipping but you can see parts of videos on you tube) I love them! Plus they are a great all over work out. Works for me but then again I'd rather be home to exercise that way I can do them in the yard, the sun shining on my face while I exercise feel wonderful! And in 2 weeks time with low cal. diet, I have had awesome results! down 5 lbs and 2 inches! :)
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Alright, well it looks like 30DS is the way to go. Should I be doing other exercise with it though? I'm trying to lose 5-10 pounds in 6-8 weeks. Mainly inches, though.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My vote would be for both as well! On your off days of the 30DS, jump on the Elliptical. If you have some extra time after completing the 30DS, then hop on the Elliptical for an additional 10, 20, 30 minutes...whatever you have time for.

I have been doing the 30DS, plus the treadmill and have had great results. I am a huge fan of the 30DS!! Its an awesome workout video. Good luck!!! :smile:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Alright, well it looks like 30DS is the way to go. Should I be doing other exercise with it though? I'm trying to lose 5-10 pounds in 6-8 weeks. Mainly inches, though.

I wouldn't, especially at first. If you haven't done this type of exercising before, you're likely to be sore for a few days. And if it doesn't feel like enough of a workout, then go with heavier weights.

I'm a big fan of getting a good workout in a shorter amount of time. 30 Day Shred is about 30 minutes a day and will give you better results than 40 minutes on an elliptical (whole body and strength conditioning vs just cardio/legs) and is certainly less time than 40 elliptical plus 20 pilates. Do make sure you take at least 1 day a week as rest day ... I'd suggest 4 days on and a day of break, repeat, at least.

In the end, you're more likely to stick with something you like. However, I think you'll lose the inches better and like the results more from 30 day shred.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I did both, and it really depends on how much effort you put into the work out that really effects how much you actually burn.
  • Speakaboo
    Speakaboo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just finished 30DS and supplemented with time on the elliptical or brisk walks when the weather allowed (it's still minus a billion here, true story!)

I found the first week or so of 30DS to be BRUTAL, but then it wasn't so bad. The first few days of each level definitely hurt, but I was really impressed with myself by the end based solely on the improvement of being able to lift just the bar of my barbell (yep, zero upper body strength) to eventually 5lbs (and now even that feels easy). You can't do that with an elliptical.

Looking forward to the next challenge, and continuing to build strength.

Lost appx. 7 lbs over the month, with 30DS every day, elliptical a couple of times a week, and calorie tracking for the final 15 days (finally clued in to how important it was.)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I say do both. I do the Jillian DVDs but I also do 45 mins on an incline on my treadmill. This is the way I get my max results.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just finished 30DS and supplemented with time on the elliptical or brisk walks when the weather allowed (it's still minus a billion here, true story!)

I found the first week or so of 30DS to be BRUTAL, but then it wasn't so bad. The first few days of each level definitely hurt, but I was really impressed with myself by the end based solely on the improvement of being able to lift just the bar of my barbell (yep, zero upper body strength) to eventually 5lbs (and now even that feels easy). You can't do that with an elliptical.

Looking forward to the next challenge, and continuing to build strength.

Lost appx. 7 lbs over the month, with 30DS every day, elliptical a couple of times a week, and calorie tracking for the final 15 days (finally clued in to how important it was.)

Congrats on finishing it! Those are great results, I suggest doing the Ripped in 30 next. I honestly like that one better.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to do whichever one you enjoy the most and will stick to. Try both of them out and then pick the one you like the most or do a combination of the two :). In terms of the actual work out 30DS is probably a better body work out than the elliptical but as long as you're being active and enjoying what you do it'll be better in the long term!
  • palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm part way through Level 2 of 30 Day Shred and loving it! I have an active lifestyle anyway and am reasonably strong, though not so supple, I also have historical known knee weakness (which has not reacted to 30DS) and have had abdominal surgery which compromises how efficiently I do crunches. In my 50s I am a latecomer to fitness DVDs but I'm a total convert already. There isn't a short fix to toning but I can feel definite improvements. Next essential kit is a HRM, to really see what effect its having.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I vote for both too and work in some strength training as well. Find what works best for you and go with it! Good luck!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I reccomend both, but eat 1/2 of your exercise calories.....
  • tbgree00
    tbgree00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day shred is good and the first 10 day video is free on youtube. If you have a wii, 360, apple tv, etc you can give it a try with no skin in the game.

I started my weight loss with the 30 Day Shred, it hurt and I had to stop because of a knee injury but that wasn't related to the video. Make sure you're wearing good shoes if you try it. They use light weights in it but you can do it without weights if you're completely new or don't want to buy them until you're sure you like it.

If you want to work in a gym look into a decent weight training routine and work in some cardio. It's good for ya.