Sizes now not the same as a decade ago

Options
callas444
callas444 Posts: 261 Member
I have a (walk-in!) closet full of clothes that haven't fit me for over a decade. (Can anyone relate?) My biggest size was 30/32 (5x) in current sizing. I'm now a perfect 20 (woot!) when I try on clothes at current stores. I have found, however, that the clothes in my closet from 10-12 years ago that are size 22 or 24 fit me well. The sizes aren't the same!

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes! When I was "smaller" I used to always wear a 10 or mostly a 12. Now I'm at a 10 or sometimes an 8! I heard that sizes have crept up a bit, so that women won't feel bad buying bigger sizes.
  • Prizelezz
    Options
    I don't know much about women's clothing, but men's clothing it definitely feels like the opposite. They have this new thing called athletic fit. So an XL fits like a L or a Med.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes!They have changed. A lot of places use "vanity sizing" which is basically make a size 6 into a size 2. Or a size 14 into a 10 or 12. But also sizes vary from store to store, so one woman might wear a 10 in most places, but may need to go up to a 12 or down to a 6 or 8 at other places. For me, I can vary from a 0 to a 4 depending on the place.

I was born in the late 80s, but I know people my mom's age saying how sizes have changed since the 70s/80s/90s. I know sizing was different 20-30 years ago; where the current size 6 was more like an 8 or 10 back then.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh yup, it's called "vanity sizing". Supposed to make women feel better about being bigger or needing bigger sizes. Usually, the more mass market companies (like Mossimo for Target) are most guilty of this. High end clothing lines and boutiques tend to do the opposite with their sizes.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I agree. I weigh the same as I did in jr. high. Back then, I wore an 8 in jeans. Today I wear a 4, sometimes a 2.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Forty years ago I wore Small sized clothes. At the moment I weigh 60 lbs more - but I'm wearing size Medium. If I ever lose all this weight I'm a bit worried about what size I'll have to buy.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I buy unisex, which is a term used mainly for jeans, and my measurements where 32', 31' My measurement at the moment are 38', 31' which is the equivalent to a size 18, or 16 on the rear occasion. In Europe, I'm a size 44.