How many times should you do strength training in a week?

I understand from NROL that anything beyond 3 times a week is counterproductive. Yet I see many websites such as bodybuilding.com where people split their workout into 6 days and have achieved great results too.

I am new to lifting so I just want to know which one is the better approach to lifting or is this a preference thing. I could split workout into 3 full body workout days or 6 days split with each day working on different muscle groups.

Oh well ... please advice! Thank you!!

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    NROL says that with regard to its program because each workout is a full body workout.

I do 3 days of lifting, and cardio on my 'off' days, because my lifting days focus on compound lifts that work my whole body.

If you split your lifting up into certain muscle groups per day, you can lift more often during the week. You should not lift two days in a row of the same muscle groups.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 715 Member
    I do 2 or 3 days of strength training a week -- I take Group Power at the YMCA -- and then run or do other cardio 2 or 3 days a week. It is also important to take rest or easy exercise days every 3 or 4 days so your muscles can recover.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    I should work each muscle group every three to five days because that time frame seems to be my recovery window. Also, my body just doesn't acknowledge the existence of a seven day week.
  • ValerieMcGaha
    ValerieMcGaha Posts: 12 Member
    What is NROL?

Also, does anyone know of any websites (or books) that help you come up with a strength training plan using the machines at the gym? Keep in mind I have a sensitive back (probably need to strengthen my core first), so I have to be careful. Medically there is nothing wrong with my back other than some bulging discs (age and posture). I am mainly exercising to not have back pain. Can't afford a personal trainer right now, so that's why I am asking for suggestions.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    NROL = New Rules of Lifting

There's a basic one and one specifically for women. I believe they're mostly geared for the gym, but you could modify for home if necessary. I've not followed them, but I have heard good things.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    NROL says that with regard to its program because each workout is a full body workout.

I do 3 days of lifting, and cardio on my 'off' days, because my lifting days focus on compound lifts that work my whole body.

If you split your lifting up into certain muscle groups per day, you can lift more often during the week. You should not lift two days in a row of the same muscle groups.

This!
    I do 3 compound days with 4 days rest and have inc strength and gains.
  • I do strength training 4 days a week. I do two workouts twice each, one for my triceps and shoulders(along with some lower body like squats and lunges), and one for my back and biceps(also with lower body). I do some kind of 10 minute ab routine 6 days a week, HIIT on my elliptical about 5 days a week, and pilates mat every single morning for 30-50 minutes. I love pilates and it gives me a great start to my day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

This!
    I do 3 compound days with 4 days rest and have inc strength and gains.
    Bingo.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    I'm on the Chalean Extreme program, so I have 3 circuits of weight training a week and cardio the other days, and even though I still have a lot of weight to lose, I am already seeing results with this program. Its great!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I do 3 days a week... but I also do NROL. :bigsmile: Follow the book, it won't lead you astray. And to the poster who said you have to go to the gym - not true. With a bit of searching on Craigslist and your local classifieds, you can get all the equipment you need at home - like I did. :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Most people new to lifting find that 3x a week is plenty and get good strength gains from that. It's usually when people become more advanced that they sometimes split the routine up, I personally don't like 6 days a week as I want at least 2 rest days, but it works for some people.

I started on 3 days a week with a full body routine. Now I do 4 days a week, upper/lower split.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    What is NROL?

Also, does anyone know of any websites (or books) that help you come up with a strength training plan using the machines at the gym? Keep in mind I have a sensitive back (probably need to strengthen my core first), so I have to be careful. Medically there is nothing wrong with my back other than some bulging discs (age and posture). I am mainly exercising to not have back pain. Can't afford a personal trainer right now, so that's why I am asking for suggestions.

Check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Abs - for men and women who want a strong core and pain free back, by Lou Schuler. Another great book in the New Rules series.

But, it's not going to have you use machines at the gym. Still, give it a read and see what you think.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    I do 3 days a week... but I also do NROL. :bigsmile: Follow the book, it won't lead you astray. And to the poster who said you have to go to the gym - not true. With a bit of searching on Craigslist and your local classifieds, you can get all the equipment you need at home - like I did. :)

It's a bit more difficult when you live in a tiny 1 br apt with little storage space :( Trying to find something that i can do with adjustable heavy dumbbells - anyone have any ideas? I'm sure the stuff in NROLFW can be modified, no?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Usually 3, sometimes 4 if I'm in the mood and the gym is quiet.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    I do 3-4ish right now and I'm cutting. Every 2nd day. (cardio on days in between).

I've done 5 or 6 with a day or two rest, different body part each day,

as well as upper/lower/rest (two day split).

For the most part I'm a fan of 4 or 5 days, working your rest days to fit into your weekly schedule. If you're sore somewhere, work another region. If I miss more then 3 days in a week, I'll double up one workout so I still get in 5. It allows for lots of flexibility.
  • I am not so sure about the answers that say no more than three times a week. I know that I am asking about strength training as opposed to body building. Big Beyond Belief says that working out multiple times per day is ok. The old Eastern Block worked out up to 12 times a day. Just check the Olympic records to see who set the lifting records.
    Knowing that it is hard to believe that when strength training you should only work out once a day three times a week?