First 5K

Options
Hi, new to the boards here. I signed up for my first 5K the first weekend in May. I started my weight loss program Jan 1, and have lost 20 lbs since then. I started running mid-February after getting my Achilles' Tendonitis taken care of. Today I ran outside for the first time, beautiful day here in MA, and it was brutal. It was, by far, my worst workout yet. I had to stop running for a week due to some knee bursitis and after running on the treadmill yesterday (first run in a week) it felt fine, a bit sore, but fine. Today, after running outside, my legs are killing me! The knee is sore and so are my shins and ankles. Is it normal to struggle with the first outside run? I do live in a hilly area, so that is waaaay different than the treadmill too. I just want to be ready for the 5K. Any thoughts and/or advice will be welcomed.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks or pavement are going to feel a lot different than the treadmill. I'd also highly recommend making sure your shoes are good ones, you might want to get fitted or try on tons of different pairs that compliment your foot type.
  • kennedyt11
    kennedyt11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jen! I've done the shoe fitting and made sure to get good ones...I guess I just need to get used to the pavement.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The first few times I ran on pavement and even grass I thought I was going to die I was in so much pain afterwards lol. However, I can tell you happily it will get better. I was also told by my trainer that it helps to make sure when your run your lower legs are behind your knees, it kinda looks funny and took a bit to get use to, but it really helps the knees. Good luck and keep at it!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You're always going to have some aches and pains. If you've got a good fitted pair of shoes, that helps. If you've been running on a treadmill since you've started, then the road was probably a little shock to the body. I loathe the treadmill myself and only use it when it's too icy outside. If you can, avoid the sidewalks as they are a lot harder on the joints than the asphalt of the road.

You can do exercises to strengthen certain things. Try writing the alphabet with your toes a couple of times a day. That should help the muscles in your lower legs. Strengthen your core, your abductors and adductors too (think Jane Fonda).

It never hurts to ice your legs after you run. Invest in some compression sleeves for the legs, too. Make sure you stretch after, not before. Try some dynamic warmups before you run instead. I'm not sure where you are in MA, but if you have a local running shop, they may offer a class on the proper running form and give you good tips.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Pavement will take a while to get used to, better than running on the sidewalks however. Have you been running with an incline? If not, go for at the very least a 1% incline on the treadmill to help simulate road running. Keep the workouts short in terms of distance and gradually build up to the distance, add no more than 10% where distance is concerned so roughly 500 metres every week. So if you started with 2K on the first week, next go up to 2.5 and so on. Remember to warm-up properly with dynamic stretches and a few minutes of a warm-up walk (since you're new to running) and again a few minutes cool-down walk (I'd say 3-5 minutes for warm-up and cool-down each) and do some static stretching post-workout.

You say your area is hilly? Try to find some flatter terrain for at least one run per week so you're not doing hills every workout. What technique have you been using for hills? Wht's your form like?
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There has been some good advice already given in this thread, so no need in repeating all of it.

The shin splints could be a result of over striding. Try taking shorter strides.

This was covered by another, but it is important. Incorporate strength training into regimen to help alleviate any muscle imbalances you may have, as well as possibly weak hips. These conditions can lead to injuries.

Make sure you are doing slow increases, and doing true slow runs. Not doing this can result in overuse injuries. I've had these twice and they're not so fun.

I have found the transition to outside running, from inside track/treadmill running a challenge when I have done so (I normally run inside in extreme heat/cold.). Usually it goes away and feels easier after the first couple of runs.

Enjoy yourself and run your own race. The first race should be about finishing the race, the others are yardsticks for you to see your progress through your hard work and effort.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sticking my nose in here because I have my eye on a 5K in June. Haven't run outside at all yet, too cold here so far. Just getting back into exercise and eating in a reasonable calorie zone after a few months AWOL, and managed 16 minutes today, at 4.3mph. slow, but my goal is endurance, and speed will come later.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk/run method.
  • gameshowfan91
    Options
    I also did a 5K run in May (2013), and I had fun. I got a shirt and a colored life saber. I think I was around 200 lbs at time. My time was around 21:30.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You might be pushing yourself to go too far or too fast. Your first few runs should be gradual building up. Also, as soon as you get home put an ice pack on the knees for 10 minutes. It works wonders.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Running outside vs the treadmill I have notice are two different things. You will honestly just have to get used to running outside.

Besides that... Good luck on your first 5k and have a blast!!!
  • kennedyt11
    kennedyt11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been following Couch to 5K, so I've been gradually building things up. I'm really looking forward to running the 5K in May, its a goal of mine to do this and it's one week prior to my 35th birthday, so I'll be able to say I did it before I turned 35 too. I feel better today, still sore, but better. Taking today off, doing some yoga instead. I'll run again tomorrow, but it'll be back inside because its supposed to be 3 degrees tomorrow morning/evening. I know I need to strengthen my core and that will help with a lot of the issues I'm having. Does anyone know of any exercises I can do at home to work on this? With 2 kids, it's difficult to find time to get to the gym as much as I'd like.
  • dmca08
    dmca08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't claim to be any type of expert on running but when I started I used to get really sore calves to the point where I couldn't run for a couple of weeks till they settled down. About 6 months ago I started wearing knee high compression socks when running and I've not had a problem since.
  • dpwaltman03
    dpwaltman03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all, --congrats. You are taking some key steps.

in answer to the ? about the first run outside making you sore.. Yes! It always does, but do not be discouraged.
    Also, just get into the routine and the soreness will go away faster each time. Even a nice slow paced jog each day will get your blood flowing and help you feel good.

Also - I saw some comments above about shoes... Good shoes is KEY!

you can expect it to be a better challenge now that you are running instead of being propelled by the gerbil wheel (treadmill), which will make you more sore at first, but is by FAR better for what you are trying to do.