Does MFP auto-adjust your calories/etc as you lose weight?

Options
Just started a few weeks ago, but had a stray thought.

I'm wondering if MFP auto-adjusts your allowed calories (like the Weight Watchers app does with "Points") as you lose more and more weight?

Wayne

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No, you have to do it yourself using the 'weigh in' or 'check in' link. And change your goals every 5 lbs or something, because it doesn't automatically adjust to your new weight either.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It does not happen automatically. But MFP asks you if you would like to recalculate your calories as you lose. I get the reminder after about a 10 pound loss.

Good Luck
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    After losing a certain amount of weight my calorie burn did change by itself. I had to put my weight loss in the weigh in section. I don't burn as many calories now as I did doing the same thing when I started
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I do check in weekly (on Monday mornings before work just to maintain "same time, same day, same clothes, etc), but haven't reached any sort of recalculation point yet.

Just to be clear, I was asking about the initial starting number of calories you get every day (that I'm guessing was generated by MFP based on height/weight), NOT whether that number changes based on added exercise or other input numbers during the day..

Weight Watchers automatically changes your "daily points allowed" every 5-10 pounds. I was just curious how it worked with MFP. Sounds like the same but optional.

Wayne
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    After losing a certain amount of weight my calorie burn did change by itself. I had to put my weight loss in the weigh in section. I don't burn as many calories now as I did doing the same thing when I started

Yes, the calorie burn estimates go off your weight as it is in the system right then. :smile:

Anytime you change anything about your goal, for example I change my goal from "maintain my weight" to "Lose half a lb per week" pretty often, and my calorie goal changes then. Otherwise, MFP will ask you after a ten lb loss like someone else mentioned. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    MFP is customizable to the extreme, but if you change things, it sometimes reverts to default settings. So you have to keep an eye on it. If you set custom goals for protein, carbs, etc. or if you are calculating your own intake and deficit levels instead of letting MFP do it, make sure to check all of them after you change anything. Even entering a different weight has reverted my settings to defaults in the past.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, yes, it does ask you after every 10 pounds lost, if you want to re-calibrate your goals. Something else I noticed the other day about exercise calories, not that I believe MFP accurately estimates it, but every time I work out, doing the same thing, for the same amount of time, at the same intensity, it lowers my calories burned by 1 calorie each time.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, yes, it does ask you after every 10 pounds lost, if you want to re-calibrate your goals. Something else I noticed the other day about exercise calories, not that I believe MFP accurately estimates it, but every time I work out, doing the same thing, for the same amount of time, at the same intensity, it lowers my calories burned by 1 calorie each time.

You mean MFP lowers your energy expenditure for these exercises when you update your weight? That makes sense, since you do use less energy for many activities as you get lighter. Though 1 calorie is a pretty small difference, considering the margin of error in estimating energy expenditure from exercise.
  • technicalman
    technicalman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've received that calories prompt as well. didn't notice how often it comes up, but it does happen.