Looking for older moms with young kids

Options
Lohavio
Lohavio Posts: 12 Member
Hi,
Anyone out there every get the, "is this your grandbaby?" It how about trying to lose pregnancy weight while thinking about hormonal problems? I'm looking to add to my friends list with some people the kids the dream of little kids for the "advanced maternal age" set.

My doctor recently fixed my cyclical / monthly depression with hormones more she is trying to figure out my fatigue. She recently put me on a restrictive anti-inflammatory diet the makes me think constant fatigue isn't so bad. But while she's got me doing that I knew I needed to capitalize on the moment and get serious about losing weight.

The diet is ketogenic and free of most allergens. I'm having a hard time eating 1200 a day because who can really eat that many veggies a day? And the cooking! It's bad first I make the toddlers food, then the boys food, them my husbands food, then I sit down to build the strength to cook mine.

Thanks,
Mel

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was 40 when my youngest son was born. He's 12 now, so I don't know if you'd count him as a young kid now, but I have been concerned about people thinking I'm his grandma - part of my motivation to get the weight off!

Your diet sounds so difficult. Can't your family eat the same things? Seems like you'll have another kind of fatigue just trying to fix all those separate meals!
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't think I'm old enough yet for "grandbaby" comments, but I am 38 with my first child, a 15 month old son. It's definitely hard to find the energy for working full-time, taking care of my son, keeping house, AND trying to get in the "Insanity" workouts. The older I get, the more my body complains. Most of the time I just want to lie down and nap. I've lost most of the baby weight now, but trying to get back into pre-baby shape again.

I was thinking about your issues with having to cook so many different meals each day. I'm wondering if you could do batch cooking? It might work even just for your own meals to start. That's where you cook a huge batch of something in advance, like soup or chili or meatloaf or whatever, but in a huge quantity, then portion it out and freeze it. If you take a couple of hours over the weekend to make several batches of different foods, during the week you can just take a single portion out of the freezer and heat it up.

As far as eating loads of veggies goes - I'm a vegetarian, and the key is variety, and spices. And also beans. Beans and legumes are your best friend. They're filling, satisfying in a meat-like way (umami maybe?), filled with protein and fiber, and versatile. Vegetarian refried beans are my favorite, but also hummus is freaking awesome. Seven-bean veg chili - holy moly, and Indian food, pretty much all of it. I'm not sure exactly which foods you have to steer clear of - I eat a specific diet as well which is free of wheat products, citrus fruits, and a handful of specific other foods (my son has food allergies and I am still breastfeeding him). I'm assuming you don't eat dairy, eggs, or soy? Do you eat meats or are those off-limits? Just wondering as perhaps I can suggest some more appealing healthy allergen-free meals.
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Bumping due to spam in the topic.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be looking for ways to incorporate similar foods and to get your family to support those goals. Eating is difficult when you have multiple sensitivities. I don't tolerate wheat and have been struggling to get it out of my diet completely, but it's difficult so I understand. I can tell you I feel better without them!

Be patient with the process, it can take a long time to start to feel like "yourself" again, but preparing separate meals for everyone in the home is not going to be functional long term. My hubs is very supportive and he eats what I eat and if he wants something else, he makes it himself.
  • Lohavio
    Lohavio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be looking for ways to incorporate similar foods and to get your family to support those goals. Eating is difficult when you have multiple sensitivities. I don't tolerate wheat and have been struggling to get it out of my diet completely, but it's difficult so I understand. I can tell you I feel better without them!

Be patient with the process, it can take a long time to start to feel like "yourself" again, but preparing separate meals for everyone in the home is not going to be functional long term. My hubs is very supportive and he eats what I eat and if he wants something else, he makes it himself.

It looks like our daughter is beginning to tolerate wheat. Do you think she will just have different symptoms as she gets older or is she really growing out of it? We'd love to make life that much easier and cheaper if we could switch her over to wheat, I just worry that it's just causing a problem we can't see. Seems like you are one of those people on the edge of wheat sensitivity.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm not as good with the sensitivities but I could certainly be a grandparent at my age.

I'm 48 and they are 4.5 and 6.6

I"m working out and changing eating to be around as long as possible for t hem.
  • daffyfroz
    daffyfroz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One exercise I can do with my hyperactive son is let him ride his bike ahead of me and I walk/jog (sometimes) behind. I don't even try to keep up with him anymore!. Can you incorporate some of your exercise with your kids too? Another way of looking at exercise is it is time just for you, something all mums need and often neglect. Schedule it into your day somehow and make it a top priority.

I'm 39 and have a 6 and a 4 year old. I feel like my body is 55+ some days due to the injuries I received in an accident 18 months ago. I do exercise now more to increase my energy levels and mental health.
  • trish3693
    trish3693 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 44 & my son is 4. We planned him down to the month I wanted to have him. I have three grown children in there 20s. People say I'm either brave or crazy starting all over again. But I am having a blast! Feel free to add me.
  • Mom1stof3
    Options
    :Hello. I'm 41 stay at home mom of 6 year old twin boys and a 3 year old daughter. I'm just joining this forum because it's time to take off the baby weight. I would like to be part of this support group. I know it's going to take some time but I'm ready to take off this weight.#onedayatatime
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 48 with 2 boys ages 7 and almost 10. Feel free to add me. :flowerforyou: