Rest days

Options
AnJulNZ
AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
How often are rest days recommended? I know you're supposed to let your muscles recover but I'm a bit confused - some programs say rest every 3rd day, some say rest every 7th ... I've tried listening to my body but then I end up resting for a whole week.

I mainly do Jillian Michaels workouts, Zumba and walking, and I'm trying to work out a sustainable exercise program.

Do you need to have a rest day from cardio? Does a rest day mean not even going for a walk? Rest days make me feel like I'm being lazy!

Replies

• citteacat
    citteacat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this ( so I'd like to see others responses as well. ) But I've been resting after the third day.

I think a light walk should be ok, as long as you're not over doing it.
    Maybe try just stretching on off days?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this ( so I'd like to see others responses as well. ) But I've been resting after the third day.

I think a light walk should be ok, as long as you're not over doing it.
    Maybe try just stretching on off days?

Rest days can be walks, or light workouts. Mine are normally a light bodyweight routine. It all depends on your routine and the intensity of your workouts. Just listen to your body and your recovery. It's a lot harder to overtrain then what most people think.
  • jamesisaac108
    Options
    Mondays and Tuesdays are my off days. Couple of weeks off a year to recover. Kind of off anyway. Since you just started then start again. But do it very slowly. 10 or 15 minutes a day every other day. Add a minute or two every other week. And if you find yourself just not liking a particular exercise then try something new.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I have been in the fitness world for awhile now. I always change it up. I say at least have one whole day of rest. Your body will always tell you when you need rest. IF you have the energy and not sore keep working out. Your body will tell you if your over doing it trust me! If you need any other advice message me or email me at ssuperstar881@hotmail.com check out my fb page jaysways2bhealthy same instagram name too;-) Im always willing to give out my advice if it helps others! Good luck to you<3
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day Shred and straight 10 days can be too.

What I do, if I can go for straight 10 days - well and good. If I can't, I rest on the seventh day. At most, I rest for two days otherwise I will become lazy on the next coming days.