How many calories do you eat a day?

Options
I have 80 pounds to lose and I have been on a 1200 calorie diet. My husband has 100 to lose and he is on a 2700. Are these amounts right?

Replies

• ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tbh I trust MFP it has done me no wrong so far still losing weight as is it will recheck calories every 10 lbs tho so no worries as you get smaller so do your calories
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Generally what the poster above said. But it's hard to give any advice without more information... what are your stats? activity level?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There is no way for us to know. How much do you weigh, how tall are you, how old are you, what is your activity level... I would just put your data into the MFP diary settings and set it to lose 1 pound a week and eat whatever it says to eat. It's pretty accurate. When I did that it gave me 1400 calories which just wasn't enough for me so I eat about 1600. I just can't do 1400 that's way too little. I don't know how people do it. I lose less than 1 pound a week but I don't care, I'm still losing.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1200-1500 a day. It's recommended that I eat 1900 a day to maintain my weight.

1200 fills me up nicely if I choose wise foods.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    44 yrs old, 5'2, 1800-2100 calories a day.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Around 1800. I'm trying to maintain more than anything else,
    but if I lose a pound or so no biggie.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 - sometimes I am over and sometimes I am under :)
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Right now MFP has me on 2190 a day but i've been either right at or under. A few days i've been under 1800. Just depends on what i eat that day. I'm losing weight so i trust it.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MFP puts me at 1,210 but I tend to stick around 1,400 or so. If I want more, I'll exercise. Done me no wrong so far. *touch wood!*
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Only about 1600-1700. Still dealing with car accident injuries. 5'2, 100 pounds. I eat more when I can workout. :) * not trying to lose weight. :)
  • sara_qayoom
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories a day, and that keeps me filled up for the rest of the day :)
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories a day.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There's no answer without knowing your weight, ideally you work out whatever your calories would be to keep you at the weight you're currently at, then reduce it by 500 calories for healthy sustainable weightloss, once the weightloss stalls then and only the reduce it again by 500, cutting your calories drastically straight away just introduces problems if you want to stay healthy then you need to doit right and take your time and then keep a constant healthy lifestyle
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Why is this in Recipes?
  • tarz4brez
    tarz4brez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm meant to be eating 1200 calories but some time only manage to eat 700 calories I'm obese started at 91 kg (200 pounds) 160 cm and since joining mfp 2 weeks ago I have lost 5 kg (10 pounds)
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    37 yr old, 5ft 2, 142lbs. I eat 1500-1900 a day, :)
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I generally follow what MFP suggests, which is 1320 at the moment. However, I do the 5:2 diet, so to compensate I'm happy to consume around 1500 on non-fast days. I also tend to eat back at least some of my exercise calories so that I don't net lower than about 1300.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests 1200 for me, but I ignored that and changed the settings to 1500. I just can't function on less than 1500 most days. But I got to that number by trial and error. I read everything, I ate different amounts and weighed myself twice a day (I'm not advocating this, it can be dangerous, I just did it to see how my body reacted to different foods).

How long have you been on 1200? Are you feeling deprived? What is your height, weight, age? Are you exercising? All of these things can affect your weight loss.

I like the advice most people give of finding what your maintenance calories are, then reducing it by 500. I think that's an excellent starting point.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Why is this in Recipes?

maybe OP is looking for the recipe for success.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight doing around 1200 for over a year, started maintaining on 1650 + exercise calories
    now I've decided to lose another 10lbs so I'm trying to lose slowly by netting 1400-1500, some days I might net lower than that though depending on exercise