I'm gonna need some support.. Quitting Smoking

Options
OK I'm throwing it out there. I picked up smoking again a couple of months ago.. today I'm quitting AGAIN. I'm so sick of them I could puke. I'm going cold turkey. I plan to spend my time on here and a couple of quit smoking websites for a few days. I need support!

Replies

• elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I finally quit smoking in Dec 2007 by taking Champix/Chantix. But, before that I quit a couple of times by cold turkey. For some people, it worked. I have a friend who did.

Mind over matter.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I quit January 19, cold turkey. I never got depressed, but I did paint the entire ground floor of my house to keep busy and I gained 5 pounds from sugar and Doritos. I'm holding onto smoke free and now I'm trying to loose the 5 pounds plus the other 4 holiday pounds. I would be happy to cheer you on. I'm not going to lie, there are some weird side effects from quitting. Although I was a lite smoker I did it for a long time.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good for you... stick with it.. YOU CAN DO IT!

I gave up a year ago and it is the best thing I have done, I can now run, I smell better, have fresher breath and more money.

I went cold turkey, it is not easy but I think most other methods using a substitue just prolong the process of getting of the nicotine. Try not to eat too much, it is not easy as you will feel more hungry, use sugar free mints. You will put on a bit of weight as smoking speeds up your metabolism, but it is manageable if you are sensible, plus you will have more energy to exercise.

Best of luck to you :smile:
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I quit over two years back after stopping and starting over and over again - hopefully some of this advice might help you too;

1 - Remember that you're addicted to nothing else but the nicotine. Everything else is just carbon monoxide and tar. There's nothing else in cigarettes that you're addicted to, not even the habit of taking a few minutes at a time in isolation to smoke. Nor is it the physical hand movements of putting that cigarette to your mouth and inhaling. It might seem like that is the case sometime, but trust me it's not. All that's happening is your brain is associating the good feeling it gets when you give it nicotine - and it's actively allowing you to make up more and more excuses to smoke.

2 - You have two different types of nicotine craving. The first is the continuous, weak craving that makes you want to always give the body more nicotine. These can be easily managed by willpower alone. The other craving - the occasional strong urge for nicotine that comes when your mood changes - is the one that's more tricky to overcome. It can still be controlled if your willpower is strong enough, but you should take precautions...

3 - Buy a nicotine substitute to use in emergencies, such as nicotine lozenges or a spray. You don't have to use it, but it's comforting to know that it's there just in case. Going cold turkey is admirable, but what are you going to do when the cravings become overwhelming and you have nothing to overcome them? It's better to have something that could give you a shot of nicotine in the short term than buying another pack of smokes in a fit of panic and finding that, a week down the line, you're back to normal smoking habits without noticing it. Lozenges and sprays are also designed to release nicotine at a safer and more controlled level compared to a cigarette, so becoming addicted and dependant on these is less likely than with cigarettes.

4 - Not all nicotine substitutes are the same. Don't bother with patches or gum as an emergency substitute. Patches and gum are generally designed to deliver a continuous amount of nicotine into your system, and that can result in further nicotine dependency. Only the lozenges and sprays are really designed for those occasional strong cravings.

5 - You've quit smoking, you aren't trying to quit. You already have quit. The next time someone offers you a cigarette, you can tell them that you don't smoke. Don't tell them that you're in the middle of quitting or that you used to smoke. All that matters is that you have quit smoking.

6 - Tell as many people as you can that you've quit smoking, and keep them updated on your progress. Never try and handle the cravings on your own without any support, because if you leave yourself alone with your own mind - that is making any excuse it can to get you to give it nicotine - then you're going to be fighting a losing battle.

7 - According to NHS research, if you can quit before the age of 35 you're likely to live a full life. On average, every year after 35 that you smoke reduces your life expectancy by 3 months. I know that sometimes rational arguments regarding health risks, the cost of smoking, fitness etc are just words that go over a smoker's head, because rational arguments don't make much sense to someone who is doing something irrational such as smoking, but if there's one benefit that should be important to you it should be this; it's never too late to feel the health benefits by quitting smoking. 4 out of every 5 lung cancer deaths are attributed to smoking, and quitting today CAN reduce your own risk to the same as a non-smoker within just a few months. Quit today so that you can live longer tomorrow.

8 - Going to a party, or somewhere else where you know it's going to be difficult to control your cravings? Prepare for it, and think about how you're NOT going to smoke that night. Tell the people you are with to watch out for you, and spend as much time with the non smokers if you can. If not, bring that nicotine substitute with you, and whenever you have a craving you'll use that instead of smoking,

9 - Get an smartphone app that counts your progress, such as Smoke Free. All you do is input how much you used to smoke, how much a pack costs, and when you quit, and it shows by way of a ticker how much you've saved, how many cigarettes you've avoided, as well as comparing your blood pressure, oxygen levels, circulation, taste and smell, risk of heart attack etc to that of a non-smoker. It seems like such a simple thing, but being able to see, in black and white, your progress whenever you want can be a great help.

10 - Here's a few milestones that you can achieve when you quit....

[20 minutes] Your heart rate and blood pressure return to normal
    [8 hours] Nicotine and carbon monoxide start to leave your body and oxygen levels return to normal.
    [24 hours] Your lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
    [48 hours] Nicotine has been eliminated from your body and your sense of smell and taste both improve.
    [2 - 12 weeks] Exercise becomes easier and your breathing improves.
    [3 - 9 months] Any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems are reduced as your lungs repair.
    [1 year] Your risk of coronary heart disease is now half that of a smoker.

And finally...

11 - That's how many extra days a year I have gained in the short term from just quitting. I used to smoke about 13 a day, outside and away from friends and family. I added it up; that's about 45 minutes of the day that I lost. 11 days of my year were wasted, but not anymore.

I'd say "Good Luck!" but that would be wrong. So, I'm going to say "Well Done!" Well done for now being a non smoker!
    Sorry for the long post, but hopefully you skimmed over it and found something that might help you. :bigsmile:
  • Super_Amy
    Options
    Nice post
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow what great replies! I will be looking over this post when I need a little reminder of what I'm doing. I don't smoke, I like that ;) Congratulations to all the quitters out there this is FREAKING TOUGH.. at times. Most of the time it's pretty ok. 4 hours in... and counting.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking 8 years ago today. My work paid for Nicorette gum to help me quit. I put on a significant amout of weight afterward. It took 7 years to decide that now that I can breathe, it was time to lose the weight I put on. Losing weight was just as tough as quitting smoking. Just take it one day at a time and soon it will be years since you quit too.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm focused on not gaining weight during my quit. I think that will help significantly. My quitting smoking doesn't mean I get to eat anything I want. I'm going to recommit to tracking my food every day. I'm ok with stalling out on my weight loss for a few weeks.. really hope not to gain though.
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    to cloney87....well done! I'm going to pass that on to my friends who are "thinking" about quitting...... I've always been a non-smoker so I cannot imagine having to quit such an addiction. You obviously put a lot of thought into it and you sound like a wonderful support person to have!
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The one key factor is to decide that you are done with smoking and it sounds like you are. After you've made this decision, you've got to decide on a technique. When I quit, I just did it. I quit cold turkey decades ago. If you wanna use gum, nicotine patches or gum, hypnosis or what have you, that's your choice. But, it's only your choice after you make the decision.
  • wardbri09
    wardbri09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to quit!! It is such a hard thing to do trust me. I was a smoker for 10+ years and would quit and start up again just about every 6 months. I finally made the commitment to quit after realizing it was taking my life away. I had to mentally prepare myself for when I was going to quit. I chose a quit date (Jan. 19, 2014) and I started with the patches. I only used them for 5 days and exchanged them for exercise so I wouldn't go back to smoking. It's still hard to fight that craving (my husband is a smoker) but I'm determined to reach my own personal goals. You have a lot of people on here to support you. YOU CAN DO THIS :)
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    Every time you crave a cig, simply beat off. It's the remedy for everything including a broken hand.
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently quite smoking as well (January 18th, 2014) I dropped the Tobacco Cigarettes and went to the electric ones instead. For me with all the stress in my house from kids and work it is what is working for me... I still have the nicotine when i need it but not all the other crap and so far I have not gained any weight because of it... which was one of my concerns... eventually I plan to wean myself off the electrics too but in the mean time I can breathe allot easier, I can tell when people around me smoke, and think to myself "yikes did i smell that bad when I smoked"

If you set your mind to it you CAN do this.... The trick I find is one day at a time, and find some other outlet for the things that make you want to smoke weather it is boredom, stress or what ever your triggers are.. Something that helped me was I took a dry erase maker and wrote myself a note on my bathroom mirror that i see every day. I also reward myself every so often for not smoking by putting a few dollars away that i saved and getting me a little something,.. That is how I got my FitBit , and hair cut.. :-)

Good Luck! !!!
  • kipsy3
    kipsy3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Read 'Easy way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr. You can find it online, just google it!

I'm on day 7 now smokefree and it's been really easy :)
  • BillyJan1992
    BillyJan1992 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well how old were you when you started??? If I were you just chew nicotine gum. I have smoked only twice in my life and that was enough for me. you can do it I have faith and confidence in you
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I will second Kipsy's suggestion of The Easy Way.
    I smoked for over 20 years, around a pack a day for the past 3 or 4. I had tried everything, and failed. On February 4th, I finished the book, smoked my last cigarette and haven't looked back.

I STILL cannot believe how easy it was. Of all the things out there, a BOOK is what made the difference.

I do get the occasional urge, but it only lasts about 20 seconds, and is easily managed.

Buying this book was the best $14 I've ever spent, hands down.
  • Super_Amy
    Options
    Hi, I recently quite smoking as well (January 18th, 2014) I dropped the Tobacco Cigarettes and went to the electric ones instead. For me with all the stress in my house from kids and work it is what is working for me... I still have the nicotine when i need it but not all the other crap and so far I have not gained any weight because of it... which was one of my concerns... eventually I plan to wean myself off the electrics too but in the mean time I can breathe allot easier, I can tell when people around me smoke, and think to myself "yikes did i smell that bad when I smoked"

If you set your mind to it you CAN do this.... The trick I find is one day at a time, and find some other outlet for the things that make you want to smoke weather it is boredom, stress or what ever your triggers are.. Something that helped me was I took a dry erase maker and wrote myself a note on my bathroom mirror that i see every day. I also reward myself every so often for not smoking by putting a few dollars away that i saved and getting me a little something,.. That is how I got my FitBit , and hair cut.. :-)

Good Luck! !!!

We share a quite date! I don't know why that is cool, but it is. Way to go, us! I dropped it cold turkey. Not that I'm magic or anything because I had failed before.
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I quit on May 30th 2011 on my 26th bday. There will be days when it gets tough but stick with it I promise it gets better