How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Just curious to know how often I should be weighing myself. Every day? Once a week? Once a month? What's the best option?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends on your mindset.

I weigh every day and consider +/- 2 lbs changes up or down to be noise.

If a shift of 1 lb in the wrong direction will make you eat the fridge then once a week would be better.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    the scales are the devil.they can fluctuate 3-4 pounds through the day.i weigh every 3 weeks same time same routine on that day .good luck
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing myself weekly. Now I'm a few kilos down the weight shifts in an unpredictable fashion so if there is no loss I may weigh again in a day or two.
    Always in the morning first thing after going to the toilet.
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depends on your mindset.

I weigh every day and consider +/- 2 lbs changes up or down to be noise.

If a shift of 1 lb in the wrong direction will make you eat the fridge then once a week would be better.
    Yeh, your weight fluctuates 2-4lbs per day. I weigh myself first thing every morning and just plot the overall trend (and take measurements once a week).

Weighing once a week can be a problem too though, because you could have eaten well all week and just happen to be retaining water on the day you weigh yourself and think you're not losing.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I say weigh yourself once a month! Don't go by the scale! Go by how you feel, how your clothes are fitting you. Muscle weighs more then fat. I am 5'1 and weigh 127 pounds when i tell people that they look at my like I'm lying. They say i look like 110. I actually have gained weight by what the scale says with my fitness journey. So please put the scale away. Take it down once a month just to see. Keep eating right and working out and you will be just fine! Pinky Promise! I
  • captmel
    captmel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every 2 weeks! before I would weigh myself daily, even a few times a day sometimes. But it didn't at all help me. Weight fluctuates throughout the day. I would obsess over it. Now I just stay off the scales. If i'm on track I should be losing. Its just less for me to worry about. :)
  • Dan6000istheman
    Dan6000istheman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning at 530 am . I try to keep about the same time and same day every week
  • butters1955
    Options
    Hi, I've just started tracking my food and exercise on here. I want to get on the scales but I'm scared I will be disappointed so think I will leave it for another week. This is not my first attempt at losing weight. At one stage I was obsessed with the scales weighing as soon as I got up, after exercise, after going to the toilet so think I'm best to steer clear for a while.:ohwell:
  • butters1955
    Options
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning after my ritual
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day once a day at the same time in the morning, Monday through Friday.
    I do not weigh myself on the weekends because my routine gets a bit screwed up... later sleep, different workouts, different eating times, eating out, treats, etc.
  • Carrie210
    Carrie210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday. If I see the scale tick up even half a pound I increase my water intake and make sure I stick to calorie goals.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Everyday and I average it. I figure at 1 lb/wk I'm not going to feel the changes that quickly and for me I need the reinforcement of being able to have something physical as evidence.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning but i do not record anything until Friday Morning.... it is just a habit... I've been seening an average of 1kg to 1.5kg a week...
  • kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I say weigh yourself once a month! Don't go by the scale! Go by how you feel, how your clothes are fitting you. Muscle weighs more then fat. I am 5'1 and weigh 127 pounds when i tell people that they look at my like I'm lying. They say i look like 110. I actually have gained weight by what the scale says with my fitness journey. So please put the scale away. Take it down once a month just to see. Keep eating right and working out and you will be just fine! Pinky Promise! I

This!

I get too pinned down by numbers. I only weigh and take measurements once a month. I can generally tell by my energy level and confidence in clothing whether I'm making progress or not!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Every day. I don't get bothered by fluctuations. I find the practice to keep me mindful on a daily basis. Plus, I lost about 50 pounds 10 years ago, and kept it off. It was only when I stopped weighing in every day that pounds started creeping up. Thankfully, I caught it within 10 pounds, and have resumed the daily weigh-in. I expect to do it for the rest of my life now.

I get that some people hate weighing in regularly, but if you can make peace with the fluctuations, muscle being denser than fat, etc., I think the daily weigh-in is a great tool for me.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what works for you.

I Personally weigh myself Daily but only log my weight on Tuesdays. But you have to be able to handle the swings you have in weight.. I will weigh up to 3 pounds more one day and the next day I will do down 3# . I am so used to my swings it doesn't stress me out anymore. It did at first but I find it helpful to know my bodys natural swings.

Good Luck!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning between 5-7 am.