Had a calorie deficit but no weight loss.

Options
i see these topics all the time and wonder what people are missing. how are they counting all their calories staying in their range and not losing weight? they must be missing something? until it happened to me this week. i thought i had it down to a science knew why i had a gain, knew why i had a loss. every.single.week.

I'm 5'4" 228 pounds. I'm eating on average 1300/day. ive been losing every week. except for this week. i gained a 1/2 pound. I'm not upset over a 1/2 pound. I'm just confused on what i did wrong that i did not lose. and i dont want to repeat it in my next week!

i totalled my calories for the entire week and I had 9164 calories for the week, 7 full days.

my husband says b/c i ate too much bread yesterday (it was in my calorie targets). ive always had the philosophy as long as a i have a deficit i should lose and i do..except for this week!!

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. Your weight will fluctuate, depending on hormonal changes, water retention ...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. The math can be right, but you don't lose. You could be retaining water, or any number of other things. You may not see a scale change for 2-3 weeks, then a 3 pound loss, everyone is different, every week may be different.
  • SamBlease1973
    Options
    It could be just a touch of water retention. Bread can cause bloating sometimes (does with me anyway). You'll probably find it will have come off again next weigh day, plus some more.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary then we can take a look at what might be causing this, but honestly, I wouldn't worry. Half a pound isn't a lot, and if you really are logging everything accurately, it's probably water weight. Did you work out a lot this week? Did you eat salty foods? Was it your TOM? There are lots of factors that can contribute to a temporary weight gain, but so long as the overall direction is down, you'll be fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry either and your husband is wrong...go figure right.

It could be a whole host of things, water retention, ToM, ovulation, and extra workout last week.

Remember weight loss is not linear and you could step on the scale tomorrow (I wouldn't tho) and be down 1lb...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a whole week? really?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it!! As if your 100% sure that you are eating at a deficit, then it's not going to be a real"gain" . It's most likely normal fluctuations. Weight loss is not linear, so it's not possible to predict Assn exact number for a loss weekly, and so on. I'm sure it will all Even out :-)
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you've only gained half a pound, it'll come off. Even though I've gone through Menopause, I always gain at the end of each month. This morning, I was up 1-1/2 lbs. but I know it's because we've been trying out new vegetarian meals with rice and lots of fiber (my husband's heart doc told him to stop eating all meat). Good luck!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ok thanks all
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Doesn't 1300 seem a little low for someone your weight? People talk about eating too little and it leading to slowing of metabolism? I wonder if this is possible, and if it may have happened to you. I have a feeling it has more to do with water retention, but I would still look into the number of calories you eat. Just seems so low and might be an issue when you lose 30 lbs and need to adjust calories in order to lose more.
  • GaryRZ2020
    GaryRZ2020 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last week. I was retaining water. I took my doctor perscribed diuretics and the next day I weighed my self again and I had lost 7 pounds of water. So don't worry.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is there a particular medical reason why a 228lb, 34-year old is only eating an avg of 1300 cals a day...potentially with exercise included? Just wondering as by all TDEE calculators that seems pretty low. No, I'm NOT saying you're in "starvation mode" or anything crazy. I just noticed your stats and the cals seemed low so I calculated them on three different sites. Avg BMR seems to be about 1700, with TDEE for no exercise at all being 2000, up to 2300/2400 for 4xs a week exercise.
  • beamer0821
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is there a particular medical reason why a 228lb, 34-year old is only eating an avg of 1300 cals a day...potentially with exercise included? Just wondering as by all TDEE calculators that seems pretty low. No, I'm NOT saying you're in "starvation mode" or anything crazy. I just noticed your stats and the cals seemed low so I calculated them on three different sites. Avg BMR seems to be about 1700, with TDEE for no exercise at all being 2000, up to 2300/2400 for 4xs a week exercise.

im not exercising.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    - Water retention masking any loss (could be from sodium or workout)
    - ate more than they thought (should weigh solids and measure liquids)
    - burned less than they thought they did (inaccuracies with calories burned calculators and devices)
    - Hormonal issue (thyroid issues)
    - lower than estimated BMR (could be hormonal or just have less lean muscle than the calculators estimate)
  • alleta2012
    Options
    I always have a window of 3-4 days per month where I can do as much math as I want, but I still don't lose, even gain a pound back. I've noticed that it's always exactly at the same point in my cycle, I turn into a raging emotional mess around the same time, so, I guess this sort of thing can be hormonal, too? (Oh, to be a boy, sometimes...)
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

im not exercising.
    It's still pretty low according to calculators (using your age, weight, height). I know these aren't exact amounts for you, but as another poster above pointed out...where will you go when you have to readjust goals due to weight loss? The more you lose, the fewer calsories your body needs, so in theory the fewer you are supposed to eat. Just something for you to think about.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry either and your husband is wrong...go figure right.

It could be a whole host of things, water retention, ToM, ovulation, and extra workout last week.

Remember weight loss is not linear and you could step on the scale tomorrow (I wouldn't tho) and be down 1lb...
    Husbands are always wrong, I've learned that through trial and error.:bigsmile:
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's not always true. Unfortunately our bodies aren't a math problem. Cals in/out is super important, but many other things determine fat loss. And for me, it's never linear. I'll lose nothing for a long time, then a few lbs at once. Especially as I get closer to my goal.
  • beamer0821
    Options
    - ate more than they thought (should weigh solids and measure liquids)

i do think about this. i eyeball meat (but i dont eat alot of mean anyways) and i dont weigh anything just measure cups and spoons. but I've been reading how horribly inaccurate measuring cups and spoons can be...
    however i do make sure they are level scoops not heaping scoops when i use measuring cups and spoons
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about a week. Every week I look at the numbers, what is my deficit based on my logging and then how much did I actually lose. Some weeks I lose less than the deficit would predict (last week was one of those) other weeks I lose more than the deficit predicted. However over time the math really does work. Over the last 77 days, the loss predicted based on the deficits and my actual loss differ by less than 1lb.

Remember, this is a marathon and not a sprint.