Deaf Runner - Feedback welcomed

Options
Hello there! I'm a deaf runner, and have cochlear implants, and hear quite well with them. I'm currently prepping for a half-marathon, which means doing frequent long distance runs. I have taken to running on a bike path near my home. It's an active bike path, with lots of bikers, pedestrians and pets. I always make sure to run on the outer right side so people can easily pass me. However, I'm wondering if I should do things more pro-actively, like where "Deaf" on the back of my shirt so that those shouting "On your left" from behind me know that I may not hear them. Would love to know your thoughts! Thanks so much!

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    So many people have headphones in that I just assume a lot of people don't hear me announcing (as a cyclist). That being said, I don't think its really necessary. Have fun doing your half.

Then again, its not a bad idea.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would maybe if you're running in an area with cars, but bikes I wouldn't worry so much about.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Most of the people that I see on the paths are using earbuds/headphones I mainly ignore them and give them a wide berth... I wouldn't worry about wearing a flag or sign or anything like that.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think that may be a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. If you run anywhere near roads with cars, than i would definitely get that shirt.

What i was going to say has been said several times. As a cyclist, i always assume that a runner or slower cyclist doesn't see me, and i usually slow down and pass with caution. Many wear headphones, and don't hear the "on your left!".
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot and mostly on bike paths or multi-use trails as they are sometimes called because I guess they can be used for more than cycling. ;-)

I assume runners won't hear me anyway and as long as you stick to the right side you're golden. It's the people that run down the middle or walk 3 abreast or walk their dogs with no leash or small children that dart to and fro that drive me insane. Crazy I tell you!!!

Good luck with the half.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It sounds like you already are doing all the right things, and yes, it may not be totally necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to have a sign if it avoids a collision.

Good luck a d congratulations!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Mark04hc
    Mark04hc Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your thoughts! I will keep on, keepin' on! :-)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My guide and I encounter a fair number of people with headphones/earbuds in so I'd go with what the cyclists have said above. However if you're planning to go on really crowded streets and in big races as well I'd get it printed on a shirt - preferably a highly visible one at that. Ask around locally and a print shop may be able to put some lettering on your shirt for cheaper than getting a shirt specially done.

My run club and I have recently gotten some singlets doen by New Balance that say either Guide or Visually Impaired on them as our other shirts and us running almost side by side with a tether between us clearly wasn't doing as good of a job as we would have liked
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was at a marathon this past weekend (I was not running it) and noticed some runners with bright orange "Deaf" or "Blind" signs attached to their backs. Since the signs were all the same, I imagine they were probably provided at the event, but it may not be such a bad idea if you're running in a high-traffic area.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm Deaf as well, so that's actually a question I wonder - especially when I'm at the races!

As for running around out there, I usually try to wear headphones, people see those and generally give me a wide berth.