Does cooking with a cast iron skillet add calories?

Options
I know this sounds kind of stupid but please hear me out before giving me a snarky answer. A good skillet's seasoned with oil that was baked into it and retained through repeated use. Wouldn't it add calories to the foods you cook with it? Thanks.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is the oil being added every time? If no then forget it. It's virtually zero.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It does not sound stupid, it sounds like what happens when counting calories becomes OCD :) Relax. Even if you treat with oil once a week, it will be virtually zero.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds kind of stupid but please hear me out before giving me a snarky answer. A good skillet's seasoned with oil that was baked into it and retained through repeated use. Wouldn't it add calories to the foods you cook with it? Thanks.

Don't know the answer. That said, if it does, it probably is not enough to be a factor.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I condition my pans, I put in a tiny bit of oil and spread it all over with a paper towel til it's nearly dry then bake it and repeat til I'm satisfied with the coating. The oil just adds a natural nonstick coating to the pan, it won't get into your food.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Should not add calories but it will add iron (really) which can be a bonus for some folks.
  • mrsl90
    mrsl90 Posts: 31
    Options
    I don't think it will I only condition mine once a week or so with the tiniest bit of rapeseed oil. I don't count it as it's less than1/4 teaspoon
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Assuming your skillet is properly seasoned (aka not sticky with oil, just lightly shiny) there's no way it adds a significant amount. Think of it like those "1 calorie a spray" things, it's the barest possible coating of oil to keep things from sticking. I wouldn't worry about it.