pole dancing as exercise

Options
carrysa
carrysa Posts: 119 Member
Hello all, I am currently 142 pounds at 5'5". I would love to lose 20 more pounds or honestly really I'd love to just tone up. I have a gut unfortunately and i have had one since high school. I always get discouraged when I can't seem to lose it. I just lost close to 20 pounds so I feel like I need to up my workouts to lose my belly. I always do some sort of exercising monday through friday the first 30 of my lunch break at work. Then I try and do stuff for at least 30 minutes after work but that doesn't always happen. I have been eating low carbs and that seems to work for me cuz im not as hungry throughout the day etc. I am starting pole dancing lessons today and I'll be doing it at least once a week along with exercising on my lunch break. Has anyone done pole dancing and did you actually tone up any? did you lose weight?....I always hear how much everyone loves it but I don't know how the results will be. Should I be practicing it more than once a week even tho i do other exercises throughout the week...some advice would be awesome.

Replies

• carrysa
    Options
    bump
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not sure what toning is, but you can lose weight via calorie deficit, and the pudge will come off where ever it decides to. Carb intake doesn't matter. Pole dancing, or any other kind of exercise, will improve fitness and make a calorie deficit more achievable, but you can lose weight with just a deficit - it's that easy. Perhaps opening your diary will help you get more specific advice.
  • carrysa
    Options
    thanks i have it opened now. Is it possible to lose the pooch by summer?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is great exercise if one is consistent with it. I don't think once a week will make a big enough impact for you though (unless you're like practicing it every other day).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is fun- but don't expect results from it.

Like has been mentioned calorie deficit is the most important factor.
  • Louisecockburn
    Louisecockburn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been pole dancing for 5 years, and a part time pole-dance instructor for 3.

I started off very overweight and shy with zero upper body strength, and now I can hold myself upside down by my ankle! I would absolutely recommend it - not only for the benefits that you will get in terms of strength building, increased flexibility and tone - but also in terms of it being (in my experience of seeing women starting from scratch) a very confidence building, friendly and addictive pastime.
    At 35, I am stronger and more flexible now than I was when I was 18 - but this comes with work: I stretch every session, and I also go to the gym, and eat a diet of non-processed, whole foods and decent quality meats and fish (most of the time!) and try to avoid sugars (my kryptonite).

In terms of exercise benefits, when I have trained for myself and when I have used a heart rate monitor, (obviously I train at a more advanced level than a beginner...!) two hours of pole-dancing has clocked up over 900kcals for me.

Obviously, any exercise isn't the final word on weight loss - your genetics, body type and - most of all - your nutrition, will account for a large part of that. With a good diet (open to interpretation, I know - but personally I would say good quality animal/fish proteins, lots of different types veggies and some starches to support training) you can completely transform your body!

Good luck - you will love it! Welcome to the Pole-dom!
  • carrysa
    Options
    thanks for the advice!!...I'm just so tired of not being fat...but not being skinny lol. My stomach is really what is a self confidence downer lol. But yes i eat a lot of meat and veggies. I only drink water. Although on saturday nights i do a little drinking. My friend has been doing pole for forever and she loves it. I guess I need to invest in buying one so I can practice everyday but like I said I do at least 30 min of exercise on my lunch break. so I'm hoping every little bit helps.
  • nashelsky
    nashelsky Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello! Pole is a great workout. I've been doing it about 3 times per week for 5 months. I feel stronger than I've ever felt with any other exercise. I do believe I'm toning up (can definitely see some more muscle definition), but my clothes still fit the same and the number on the scale hasn't budged. Weight is probably due to building some muscle. I am also more flexible than I have ever been, but that has been a slooow process.

The thing that I love the most about pole is that you can SEE your progress. For example: on day 1 you might try out a move and not get anywhere close to getting it, but then on day 4 you might nail it! The confidence boost in achieving those milestones is out of this world.

I'd recommend pairing it with a good cardio program (at least 3 days per week of cardio). This is something I need to start doing, so I can get the calorie deficit to show my abs under the layer of flab. ;) "

Lastly, I'd wait to get a pole for home until you really decide you like the sport. If you get a pole, make sure it is HIGH QUALITY (like an xpole or platinum pole). These are super pricey, but there is no price tag for safety! And some of the 100 - 200 dollar poles are pretty unsafe. Also make sure you follow all instructions for installation.

Okay, I hope that helps! Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions!
  • carrysa
    Options
    thanks!!!...I really feeel like im going to enjoy it. It looks like a lot of fun if I'll stick to it which is my problem...I hardly ever stick to an exercise regimen. That's my downfall. But since last monday or tuesday ive been doing 20 to 30 min of exercises during lunch break which consists of every other day ill walk and jog then the other days ill do stuff like burpees lunges jump squats tricep dips jog in place jump rope in place push ups all 10-15 reps of 2 sets each...and this makes me really sweat and get out of breath etc. I just want to get in shape so bad lol
  • Sarah_828
    Sarah_828 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to do a mix of pole dancing and floor/chair dancing twice a week. It really helped me burn fat and build muscle. It improved my strength, flexibility, and my confidence! As has been echoed before, eating right is going to be a big part of your journey. But I think it's a great type of exercise, would never have given it up if I still lived in the area.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    .I'm just so tired of not being fat...but not being skinny lol.

start lfiting.

do the pole- but I would actually start lifting- that will solve this problem in a matter of 6-12 months.
  • carrysa
    Options
    Well I eat low carbs. I know there is controversy with this, but it works for me. I want to do a lifestyle of low carb not a diet. although i do have a day every now and then where I'll eat carbs. I try and stay on point though. I eat a lot of meat and veggies. A little bit of dairy like cheese and cottage cheese. And i do eat ranch or ceasar dressing mayo etc since its low carb..im human i need taste lol or i know myself and i wont stick to it. But this is what works for me I think everyone is diffrerent, but I'm hoping with my eating habits and exercise ill lose weight by summer.
  • carrysa
    Options
    bump
  • carrysa
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • hml888
    hml888 Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome to pole world!

I've been pole dancing since 2004, for me, I've gained muscle mass, become stronger and more flexible. Sadly I still have my gut and rolls too. The only places where I have toned up is my shoulders, back and chest area. It's not as intensive where cardio is concerned but it really depends what you do, if it is a lot of routine you can work up a lot of sweat. I'm very much someone who practices strength and deadlifts on pole so I don't do a lot of cardio. I do two hour classes once a week and home practice everyday for another 2/3 hours.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Pole was my introduction to the world of aerial arts. It's a decent workout, and according to my body media, burns about the same as a weight session (~240 calories per hour for me). However, it is lat/back/ab/hip flexor heavy. Pole got me enough strength to attempt aerial silks, which I love. I've recently come back to pole after a year hiatus, and now that I'm stronger, like it a hell of a lot more.

It does very little for your lower body though, so I definitely recommend some sort of weight training to balance the upper body workout. I started a heavy lifting program for my lower half in Sept 2013 and couldn't be happier. But pole is a blast, and I know for me, just lifting weight five days a week would be too boring. Pole, and silks, and lyra, and trapeze, etc., are all ways to have fun while working out.

They're also sports that encourage you to workout even more because you need to be strong to even do the tricks. It's a win-win in my book.
  • yayjenny
    yayjenny Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello!! I've been doing pole dance and aerial hoop (Lyra) for nine months now, and it definitely will give you results as the ladies above who have instructed and taken classes can attest to.

This year I made a resolution to myself to get into the best shape of my life so far. I'm 27, have always been petite at 4'11 but curvy from the hips down. I've never been consistent with exercise, not since high school. I don't eat very strictly, but introducing coconut oil into my diet has boosted my metabolism.

Pole dance is the one activity that keeps me coming back and motivates me to train. Even without changing my diet, I've seen my stomach go from persistently soft and rounded to "hey, I think I can feel the muscle behind the softness" until I woke up one day and realized, I was getting abs for the first time in my life. I have sweet guns. My legs are toned and more muscular than just curves too, surprisingly enough. I do aim to start running this summer as well to really trim down.

Pole = triceps, traps, and abs,oh my!

That said, I take classes every chance I get. I'm addicted. I don't have a pole at home yet, but I go to the studio at least 3 times a week, sometimes more and sometimes I book private time so I have a pole to myself and can train the full hour, versus classes where your hour is broken into guided warmup, conditioning, tricks, and a freestyle or choreo round, sometimes sharing so we only really get about 30mins on the pole.

It hurts. It's tough. But it's a fun challenge for yourself amongst a very supportive group of peers, and totally worth it if you fall in love with it like I have. I started to try and get fit, and now not only do I feel strong, I feel like a dancer. Me, the girl who chose to read books instead of taking ballet! It's very rewarding.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with pretty much everything all the other pole dancing ladies have mentioned. Pole dancing is an incredible workout and you will gain so much more than just strength and a toned body. It's very hard work, but you will come to be so proud of your bruises - we call the "pole kisses" :-) I've been pole dancing for about a year now, and have lost about 17 lbs, but I've also gained a lot of strength and have toned up pretty much my entire upper body - I'm sure my legs have become more muscly as well, but I've always had a super curvy bottom end so I don't really notice that.

12c45980-8ba4-4dd4-a928-433bf127dc9e_zps70a16218.jpg

This is a progress photo from when I first started pole until recently. I didn't want to take a photo showing y stomach at that time, but it was pretty fluffy and shapeless. Now I have a nice defined core and I'm starting to show abs :-)

Happy Poling!!
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    .I'm just so tired of not being fat...but not being skinny lol.

start lifting.

do the pole- but I would actually start lifting- that will solve this problem in a matter of 6-12 months.

I agree with this :) I do both pole and lifting (plus some cardio and yoga), and I find they complement each other nicely. I was amazed at how much stronger I got from pole class, and it motivated me to lift heavy at the gym (so I would continue to get stronger for pole). Between the two I have quite a bit more definition and strength than ever before.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with pretty much everything all the other pole dancing ladies have mentioned. Pole dancing is an incredible workout and you will gain so much more than just strength and a toned body. It's very hard work, but you will come to be so proud of your bruises - we call the "pole kisses" :-) I've been pole dancing for about a year now, and have lost about 17 lbs, but I've also gained a lot of strength and have toned up pretty much my entire upper body - I'm sure my legs have become more muscly as well, but I've always had a super curvy bottom end so I don't really notice that.

12c45980-8ba4-4dd4-a928-433bf127dc9e_zps70a16218.jpg

This is a progress photo from when I first started pole until recently. I didn't want to take a photo showing y stomach at that time, but it was pretty fluffy and shapeless. Now I have a nice defined core and I'm starting to show abs :-)

Happy Poling!!

Awesome! I am a former poler and current lifter and poling did things for my body in a holistic way I couldn't get from lifting. If you can do both do. If you can't do both, pole. I only quit because I can't find a place to pole and home won't work.

I lost a couple pants sizes. One girl at my former studio of practice lost 60 pounds!