Eating Before Bed

Options
I stuff myself silly before I go to bed. Is this unhealthy? Scientific articles to support your answer would be nice :)

Replies

• InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned that you gain weight as you eat before you go to sleep then it is a myth. It's always important what you eat, no matter if you eat it in the morning or evening.
    The other thing you should think of here. Generally the sleep is a reserved time for our organism to rest, recover, "recharge the batteries".
    If you eat just before sleep you interrupt this process as your body has still some work to do - digest the food. Therefore the quality of your sleep is worse and may have an impact (e.g. greater appetite, the feeling of weariness after you wake up).
    But a healthy and light snack like fruits shouldn't cause it.
    Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics wrote a great article about this but I cannot find it now. But you can check their opinion under this link:
    www.sharecare.com/health/eating-habits-nutrition/is-eating-before-bed-bad
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ditto InFitRealm - as lings as it does not affect the quality of your sleep. I could dredge up scientific articles but essentially it is an overall calorie deficit that impacts weight loss. There are many conflicting articles on 3 meals a day vs 6 etc.... You will leave more confused that you started - in the end you will do what works best for you to maintain the calorie deficit you require for weight loss.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    i look to gain weight
  • InFitRealm
    Options
    No matter if you want to gain or lose weight, the same rule applies. It's about the quality of your sleep.
    Generally it's not consider as healthy behaviour due to this. It's better to eat your last meal about 2-3 hours before you go to sleep. The time of course depends on what kind of meal you plan to eat.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also develop acid reflux. The digestive system doesn't work right horizontally and acid can back up the esophagus. Eat a bit earlier to allow gravity time to help digestion.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No matter if you want to gain or lose weight, the same rule applies. It's about the quality of your sleep.
    Generally it's not consider as healthy behaviour due to this. It's better to eat your last meal about 2-3 hours before you go to sleep. The time of course depends on what kind of meal you plan to eat.

Why? As long as you are meeting your calorie goals and it isn't affecting your sleep there shouldn't be any reason that you can't do this.
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your movement helps the stomach/intestines do their work of moving food through the digestive tract. When you sleep, you aren't moving, and the food doesn't move through as smoothly. That's why heartburn is a risk. Doing this is likely to cause you harm long term.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Your movement helps the stomach/intestines do their work of moving food through the digestive tract. When you sleep, you aren't moving, and the food doesn't move through as smoothly. That's why heartburn is a risk. Doing this is likely to cause you harm long term.

This is one of the silliest things I have ever heard... complete nonsense.
  • CBWoodz
    CBWoodz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps somewhat: First-off I think with the advent of the internet we can all find all the scientific research results we want to support any position we'd like to take. This answer is from personal experience: I am a deck & fencing contractor - which means I'm a carpenter, mostly - living & working in the greater Toronto area. My main working season is summer. Summer's around here can get really, really humid. I'm talking 32 degrees Celsius feeling like 42 with the humidity index. { That's approximately 64 F feeling like 114 Fahrenheit for my American friends} To begin with Carpentry alone is VERY physical work that burns thousands upon thousands of calories per work day. I am at a calorie deficit every single day that I return from work. Despite my daily caloric deficit I have managed to gain weight every year for the last ten years of my life. I've come to the conclusion that the only reasonable explanation for this is that I ate practically all of my calories in the evening / late evening anywhere within 1 to 4 hours before going to sleep. I do know I should eat little meals throughout the day, but basically I can't eat when it's that hot out. I also "forget" to stop working to eat; and... I hate feeling full when I'm performing these intensely physical tasks. So I basically don't eat all day & graze all evening. Therefore I believe it's a serious mistake to eat too much - of anything - too close to bedtime. Again - this is just my personal experience - it's not science.
  • InFitRealm
    Options
    As I wrote it's a general statement. Of course each individual may react differently. Similar refers to diet, exercising, etc.
    If it doesn't do any harm then by all means you can eat just before going to bed. But generally it's better to time your meal 2 hours before you go to sleep.
    Just some nutrition habits have their effect not only on our weight or body. And eating at night is one of them. I agree that doesn't have to be related to every person though.
    Everybody has to develop what suits them best.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Despite my daily caloric deficit I have managed to gain weight every year for the last ten years of my life. I've come to the conclusion that the only reasonable explanation for this is that I ate practically all of my calories in the evening / late evening anywhere within 1 to 4 hours before going to sleep.

Have you tracked your daily/weekly calories?
  • helenrosec
    Options
    You can also develop acid reflux. The digestive system doesn't work right horizontally and acid can back up the esophagus. Eat a bit earlier to allow gravity time to help digestion.

Agreed. I like to eat a snack later at night, but have to make sure it's a few hours before going to bed as I sometimes get bad indigestion.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of ice cream IN bed watching some netflix then- put it down and roll over and go to sleep.

It's fine. just don't eat over your calories and you'll be fine.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To begin with Carpentry alone is VERY physical work that burns thousands upon thousands of calories per work day. I am at a calorie deficit every single day that I return from work. Despite my daily caloric deficit I have managed to gain weight every year for the last ten years of my life.

Most likely the carpentry doesn't use up as many calories as you think it does. Generally the longer you practice something the more energy efficient you become. That combined with ageing (which lowers your daily calorie expenditure) can mean that your total daily burn is lower than you think it to be.

With regards to eating before bed, I followed a course on coursera from the vanderbilt university about nutrition. In there a nutrition professor who focusses on fitness and food mostly presented some research results which basically said that for weight it hardly matters when you eat, but if you eat most of your food late on the day (not necessarily before bed) you'll have a higher amount of body fat than when you eat more spread out over the day.
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When controlled studies have been done to keep amount and type of calories consistent and only change the time of day they're consumed, it has been shown that eating later in the day makes no difference. It's what you eat, not when you eat, that matters. The notion that late-night calories are more readily converted to fat is bogus.

Having said that, there are a few caveats to watch out for:

- As already mentioned, eating right before bed can disrupt quality of sleep.
    - People who tend to eat more at night are statistically more likely to make poor food choices (eg, choosing convenient junk over preparing a balanced meal).
    - People who snack at night tend to eat more calories overall (since they're most likely not skipping meals earlier in the day, the late night calories are more likely to be excess).

But if you keep those points in mind and stick to your overall plan for calories/macros, and still feel that having some of your calories in the evening works for you, go for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of ice cream IN bed watching some netflix then- put it down and roll over and go to sleep.

this person is trying to gain weight however, they just need to eat a surplus of calories.....I would encourage healthy cals of course.

Bananas!

eat over - or under. doesn't matter.

But it doesn't matter. If you want to have a snack before bed have it. Healthy smelthy- especially go for ice cream if you are trying to gain and haven't got calories in for the day!!! Ice cream is the best!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I stuff myself silly before I go to bed. Is this unhealthy? Scientific articles to support your answer would be nice :)

I think the problem is stuffing yourself silly - at any time of day. that means you dont have control over your eating and you are not eating enough during the day to keep from starving.

eat when you are hungry, and stop when full. to do that, you have to eat slower so that you dont stuff yourself before your body is able to tell it its full (like 20 minutes after eating if my memory is right)
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    When controlled studies have been done to keep amount and type of calories consistent and only change the time of day they're consumed, it has been shown that eating later in the day makes no difference. It's what you eat, not when you eat, that matters. The notion that late-night calories are more readily converted to fat is bogus.

Having said that, there are a few caveats to watch out for:

- As already mentioned, eating right before bed can disrupt quality of sleep.
    - People who tend to eat more at night are statistically more likely to make poor food choices (eg, choosing convenient junk over preparing a balanced meal).
    - People who snack at night tend to eat more calories overall (since they're most likely not skipping meals earlier in the day, the late night calories are more likely to be excess).

But if you keep those points in mind and stick to your overall plan for calories/macros, and still feel that having some of your calories in the evening works for you, go for it.

I find that eating before bed doesn't disrupt the quality of sleep (I feel that it might contribute to me having to sleep more though).

I always try to eat healthy.

I stay up late at night to hit my macros, so I can't really go over, and if I did, it wouldn't matter since I am 146 lbs.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    My mom says that if I stuff myself silly before bed, I won't see any gains.

Totally bogus, I told her. Else why am I gaining steadily?

She also told me that during sleep, your body is meant to rest, and not meant to be working hard trying to digest all that food. But if I'm sleeping OK, then what's the harm? What do you guys think about this?
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I'm the same as JoRocka- except I like frozen yogurt. I get more of it :tongue: