Candy bars

Options
Every so often, at work, I get exhausted, and then I want nothing more than candy to wake me up. I end up eating several like 5 to 6 candy bars. and I've also been doing this at home too. Especially after a nap. It seems the tiredness is a coorelation with the binging. I try to get adequate sleep. Last night I want to bed at 6:00, but woke up starving because I do work out (if Runkeeper is slightly accurate with calories, I burned about 1700 this week).
Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to having a more healthy diet? I don't want to consider cheat meals, because it's like the chocolate is a freaking drug to me, it tastes good no matter how full I feel.
FYI: I do running/rollerblading/hiking as my cardio, and i'm implementing strength training.
I weigh'd 127, 5'4" this morning, and I'm trying to essentially reduce body fat but obviously the sugar is not going to help.

Please, your help is appreciated.

Replies

• Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is it the chocolate that you are craving? My health coach told me that if I crave chocolate, to eat a piece of chocolate and wait fifteen minutes.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's good advice! I wonder if this would be an accurate way of describing g it but i get exhausted and I feel sugar is a pick me up. Then I crave it and give in
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you exhausted because you are bored, not getting enough sleep, lacking protein or something else? I'm no expert but I'd try to figure out what is going on that you are so tired
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Consider adding more foods to your diet that will give you long-lasting energy, like whole grains, healthy fats and proteins. Make sure you build a balanced food plan with fruits and veggies that will include lots of different nutrients. Get rid of the notion that sugar will keep you awake; you will then crash and need more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would see a doctor about this, seriously. That is a LOT of candy especially for someone as small as you are, and I don't think that sounds very normal or healthy that you feel like you "need" that when you are tired. I say that completely straightforward not like being snarky...my husband is also on MFP and when I read this to him he had the same reaction. Just kind of surprised no one has alluded to that yet.

Have you had issues with binge eating? I am not really familiar with that but 5-6 candy bars is a very large amount of calories and sugar as you're aware.

Best of luck to you with this!!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Consider adding more foods to your diet that will give you long-lasting energy, like whole grains, healthy fats and proteins. Make sure you build a balanced food plan with fruits and veggies that will include lots of different nutrients. Get rid of the notion that sugar will keep you awake; you will then crash and need more.
    This. Sugar makes your blood glucose spike then crash, then you crave more. Also, consider having your HgA1C tested by your MD. Hypoglycemic induced sugar cravings can lead to bad juju.
  • jadisfeigns
    Options
    Thank you all, you're right. It's pretty bad. I could look into testing. I know hypothyroid managing with meds. I may need
    More protein. Thoughout the week I can definitely get good meals. If I work on this knowingly, I can make things better right? I'm not damaged for good am I?
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not damaged. Chocolate is my pick me up too. If I'm stressed or feeling down I will comfort eat and reach for the chocolate.

I use sheer willpower not to reach for a second candy bar. That's what this weightloss journey has been for me ... A test of willpower everyday. Get more sleep, try some multi vitamins, go for a walk to boost your energy levels and remember your goals!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How about a chocolate protein bar or protein shake? It will fill you up more and it will help your chocolate craving.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Why don't you get some granola bars? I really like Clif Mojo bars- you get the same chew, nuts, and chocolate as you would in candy but these bars, in particular, are made with brown rice syrup, coconut oil, almond butter, etc so they're more nutritious, have more fiber, protein, won't mess with your blood sugar. All that good stuff. They're mostly organic, too. Still get to enjoy the convinience and satisfaction of an individually plastic wrapped bar as you would with candy, too. Haha
  • aliceinweightlossland
    Options
    I love Quest protein bars. I'm not that big on candy bars, but sometimes it feels like I'm "cheating" when I eat one. They're great when I'm on the run, or when I feel my metabolism revving up and I need to feed it NOW. Plus, I'm full for WAY longer than I would be with a nutritionally empty candy bar.

I've found that being prepared by having something on hand for those moments is the best prevention.
  • jadisfeigns
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much everyone for those suggestions. It is really helpful. and you know, the protein bars are such a perfect way to get that plus the protein that will fill me up. I did kinda get rid of the bad stuff in my house, plus I've been thinking, if I really want it, I'll go to the store to get it. I feel so much beter now. Thank you!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Is it the chocolate that you are craving? My health coach told me that if I crave chocolate, to eat a piece of chocolate and wait fifteen minutes.

Man alive if I did this that piece of chocolate would be three feet wide, just one piece right....
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would see a doctor about this, seriously. That is a LOT of candy especially for someone as small as you are, and I don't think that sounds very normal or healthy that you feel like you "need" that when you are tired. I say that completely straightforward not like being snarky...my husband is also on MFP and when I read this to him he had the same reaction. Just kind of surprised no one has alluded to that yet.

Have you had issues with binge eating? I am not really familiar with that but 5-6 candy bars is a very large amount of calories and sugar as you're aware.

Best of luck to you with this!!

Not sure I agree with this, if everyday you eat that much then yes maybe you have a major issue but we all have moments when we just go go go at things that are close to hand.

I do love a bit of chocolate and yeah I'll have a few bits but just make sure I get my runs in. If you want to talk chocolate just holla lol.
  • TJFreeman
    TJFreeman Posts: 96
    Options
    I am a doctor diagnosed sugar addict, and what led me to seek this diagnosis is the exact behavior you described in your original post. A sugar addiction, according to my doctor, can be as powerful as, or more powerful than, a cocaine or heroine addiction. I never in a million years thought I would be classified in the same category. I am currently following a 7 step program in a book called Potatoes Not Prozac by Kathleen DesMaisons. It has literally changed my life, and I no longer crave or binge on sugar. I highly recommend that anyone with a sugar issue, no matter how big or small, read it. Best of luck to you.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate as well. I eat Zone Perfect bars, which are delicious! My current favorite is Dark chocolate almond. They taste like chocolate-covered granola bars.

Also, for a long time, I would leave my cash at home. That way I couldn't buy anything from the vending machine at work, and would be forced to eat any snacks that I brought from home.