Couch to 5K apps

Options
I'm looking into doing a C25K program. I was curious to see if anyone has an app for an android phone they would recommend. I would prefer a free one since I never added a payment card to my google play account. I would like something that is easy to use with visual reference on the screen since I'm doing this on a treadmill and would like to listen to my mp3 player at the same time.

Replies

• redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I really like the Zombies, Run! C25K app, but it isn't free... I think it's $1.99? I don't think there's anything visual on the screen, but you're listening to and part of a story, so that's pretty engaging. And while you're running it's synced to your playlists.

Sorry, that's the only app I've tried, so I can't say anything about other ones.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    C25K Free by Zen Labs.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also use the zombies run c25k (and the full zombies run for when I'm done the c25k). It is not visual (well not until after you sync it to the website). It integrated with certain (not all and no streaming) music programs so you set up a music list and it will cut in with both story and instructions as you go -overlaying with the music so I find that I never need to look at the phone while running which is my preference.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper (free), which also has some free training plans available (5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon).
  • Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    On the fantastic NHS Choices website there is a series of free podcats which you can download to your phone or i-pod and it instructs you when to run and walk, and plays you music, with the aim being to run 5k in 9 weeks. There are also many strength and flex exercises with videos to show you how and a podcst to get you going.
    I don't think there's an app but there is a wealth of other stuff and it has helped me enormously. It isn't run by super-fit beautiful people who make you feel inadequate (;-) ) but instead an ordinary young lady called Laura talks you through everything and gives you encouragement.
    I hated running only a couple of months ago but now I'm loving my 5 k and I highly recommend it.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    On the fantastic NHS Choices website there is a series of free podcats which you can download to your phone or i-pod and it instructs you when to run and walk, with the aim being to run 5k in 9 weeks. There are also many strength and flex exercises with videos to show you how and a podcst to get you going.
    I don't think there's an app but there is a wealth of other stuff and it has helped me enormously. It isn't run by super-fit beautiful people who make you feel inadequate (;-) ) but instead an ordinary young lady called Laura talks you through everything and gives you encouragement.
    I hated running only a couple of months ago but now I'm loving my 5 k and I highly recommend it.

think ill have to hve a look at that! ;)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper (free), which also has some free training plans available (5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon).

You can also program it with the C25K program each week/WO so you can use that as well.. and then use it after you "graduate".
  • AUGirl79
    AUGirl79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    C25K Free by Zen Labs
    I have this app but I can't seem to get it to link to MFP. Can you link them?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I really like the Zombies, Run! C25K app, but it isn't free... I think it's $1.99? I don't think there's anything visual on the screen, but you're listening to and part of a story, so that's pretty engaging. And while you're running it's synced to your playlists.

Sorry, that's the only app I've tried, so I can't say anything about other ones.

Do you know if it works with spotify?
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    C25K Free by Zen Labs.

This is the best... and it's free :smile:
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Do you know if it works with spotify?

No, you can't use a streaming music source - it has to be a playlist saved on your phone. That was the most annoying part for me, since I don't store music on my phone... but I threw together a playlist and put it on the default music player that I have on my Android and it's worked great.