Best Beef Cuts for Crockpot?

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
What are the best affordable cuts of beef for a crockpot? Looking for something thats not super fatty but not super lean either. Any recomendations welcome. Extra points for recipes as well!

London broil?

Tri Tip? (generally i only grill these)

Thanks

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Options
    or is it not worth it and i should just stick to grilling steaks?
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use brisket in my slow cooker. The cheaper cuts of meat become really tender.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I will typically use some kind of roast; whatever is on sale. I just season it and throw it in the crock pot with beef broth, onions, potatoes, and carrots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    brisket and chuck are my go to for slow cooker...they're the only ones I do in the slow cooker. A top round (London Broil) or tri-tip would just dry out I would think...plus, both of those are best served medium rare to medium IMHO.

You need something with a decent amount of fat for a slow cooker or you just get really dried out beef. Also, I personally prefer just grilling a nice steak...or broiling a well marinated top round to medium rare.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Stewing beef and roast are my go-to's for the slow cooker.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    We had a blade roast a couple of weeks ago in the crockpot and it was delicious. I usually buy the roasts that are on sale at the time or the cheapest ones. No matter what type, they are so tender from the crockpot after slow cooking all day. My recipe is pretty basic:

Roast, potatoes and carrots. Sometimes I throw in a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix. Be sure to use the crockpot bags, they make cleanup super easy!
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I almost always use chuck. In fact, I used some yesterday for beef stew.

Anything tough/fatty will benefit from a long, slow braise. And usually it's the cheapest, too!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, lean cuts and slow cooking do not play well together.

Short ribs and brisket do well and neither is particularly pricey.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am partial to cross-rib roasts. They have the best flavor and not too much fat/gristle.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Roasts are good. Brisket is good. I'd add ribs/tips to this list as well.

Not to get too scientific or gross, but cuts of meat (from any critter) that have a lot of connective tissue are great candidates for the Crockpot's low and slow methods of cooking (simmering, braising, etc.) Long exposure to low(er) heat helps breakdown connective tissue to make juicy, succulent meats. I always try to go with the lowest/longest setting when possible.

And to quote one of my heroes, "Your patience will be rewarded."
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @OP: I get half a beef (side of beef) every year from a farmer I know and the best cuts imho for the crockpot are chuck roasts, but mine have tended to be fatty and in desperate need of trimming before cooking. Sirloin tip roasts are also good, and they generally come to me quite a bit leaner, but sirloin is better in steaks or ground up into steakburgers, imo. Some good roasts come from the round, too. The tougher cuts, like the chuck, round, etc, tend to be cheaper in the grocery store for that very reason. Those cuts are best for slow cooking because with slow cooking you're going to end up with all your beef tasting the same, so why waste a tender cut that would taste better as a steak when you can get the same great taste and tenderness out of a slow-cooked (and cheaper) roast, you know? My rule of thumb is if it's a cut they make into hamburger, its good in the crockpot. Your mileage may vary.

Also, don't know your location, but my beef half this year was $1000 and some change, and I ended up with 350 pounds of beef. Steaks, roasts, burger, everything, processed and frozen for $2.85 a pound. It's worth looking into if you like your beef that much. You don't even need to know a farmer if you have a packing plant local to you. Packing plants routinely sell bulk beef and pork butchered to your specs. Hope this helps you!
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    I think im gonna have to go with this recipe. Sounds awesome to me...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/barbacoa-beef.html
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Chuck roast
  • robinerikson
    Options
    Beef Brisket... ^_^

And that Barbacoa Beef recipe you shared with us is fantastic. I love Chipotle. :D
  • crsgoblue
    crsgoblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have two favorite beef cuts for the crock pot, chuck and brisket. I tried rump roast but I think that the only use for it is to be ground into lean hamburger. Top round and sirloin lend themselves to fast cooking methods so they don't get near my crock pot.

Here is my favorite, very easy, crock pot BBQ Beef recipe:

3 lb,+ Brisket
    salt, pepper, garlic salt and/or seasoned salt
    1 onion
    1/2 bottle BBQ sauce
    Liquid Smoke

Spray inside of crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
    Slice onion and put into the bottom of the crock pot.

Trim excess fat from the brisket, season roast, then brown it in a skillet or use your grill for extra flavor and minimal clean up. If you're grilling to brown it, you don't have to be as careful with the trim but, if you're using a skillet, trim off as much as you can.
    Transfer the browned brisket to the crock post and pour on your favored sauce and a little (goes a long way) Liquid Smoke.

Set heat to high and come back in 6 hours.

Serve with crusty bread rolls and coleslaw made with Walden Farms coleslaw (excellent flavor and zero calories) Dressing.
    If you need to cut the calories even more, use saltine crackers instead of crusty bread rolls.

I count this as 60 calories per oz of beef.

My favorite chuck roast recipe:

Here is my favorite, very easy, Beef Pot Roast crock pot recipe:

3 lb,+ chuck roast
    salt, pepper, garlic salt and/or seasoned salt
    1 onion
    2 stalks celery (optional)
    4 medium potatoes
    1 bag, 1lb, baby cut carrots
    2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 cup of water

Spray inside of crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
    Slice onion and celery then, put them into the bottom of the crock pot.

Trim off excess fat. (Chuck tends to have big chunks of fat outside the muscles and nice marbling inside the muscle. The marbling is your friend and will give a great flavor but, the outside fat is just fat, It doesn't look or taste good and this is the stuff you want to get rid of.

Season the trimmed roast, then brown it in a skillet or use your grill for extra flavor and minimal clean up.
    Transfer the browned roast to the crock post and add the potatoes, carrots and enough liquid to almost cover the meat.

Set heat to high and come back in 6 hours.

I count this as 60 calories per oz of beef plus, the potatoes and carrots. One very nice thing is that you don't have to add any calories for the vegetables unless you add some butter when you eat them. This gives you a little flexibility so you don't go over your daily number.

Variations:

Use beer or cheap red wine instead of water. The cooking juices (we refer to this a pot liquor) is incredible!

Let me know how it turns out!
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options

cwolfman13:

brisket and chuck are my go to for slow cooker...they're the only ones I do in the slow cooker. A top round (London Broil) or tri-tip would just dry out I would think...plus, both of those are best served medium rare to medium IMHO.

You need something with a decent amount of fat for a slow cooker or you just get really dried out beef. Also, I personally prefer just grilling a nice steak...or broiling a well marinated top round to medium rare.

I agree.

I did make the mistake of using trip tip in the crock once. It didn't dry out, it just disintegrated into a mushy texture. Not at all appetizing. Tis a shameful thing to do to wonderful cut of meat.
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas :)