using a trampoline for weight loss?

Options
Hi I just bought my three year old a 14 foot trampoline for the garden. I used to have one when I was about 14 living at home and remember that when I first got it I lost over two stone within a few months by accident because I was on it so much. I looked up how it compares and I saw a lot of good things about trampolining. I was thinking of using it for half an hour per night? I can still do many of the things I used to on there and I went on it today (which I had been craving to do lol) and I was exhausted!!
What do you all think ?

:)

Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi I just bought my three year old a 14 foot trampoline for the garden. I used to have one when I was about 14 living at home and remember that when I first got it I lost over two stone within a few months by accident because I was on it so much. I looked up how it compares and I saw a lot of good things about trampolining. I was thinking of using it for half an hour per night? I can still do many of the things I used to on there and I went on it today (which I had been craving to do lol) and I was exhausted!!
    What do you all think ?

Thanks

Post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I remember a similar trampoline we got for our kids years ago. What a workout! I say it is fun and it will burn calories, so if you enjoy it, why not! (Just be carelful you don't hurt yourself trying something really outragous until you have been practicing for a while.) Enjoy!
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Post hoc ergo propter hoc
    [/quote]

What are you talking about?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about?

It's Latin. "after this, therefore because of this." Basically, it's something people use to prove a logical fallacy.

But just ignore that. The more exercise you do, the better you'll probably feel.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Oh god, not this again
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Jumping on a trampoline will raise your heart rate, so you will definitely burn calories. But it's not like you're going to burn 1000 calories a day using it. Just get out there and have some fun with your child. Maybe use a heart rate monitor if you plan to log exercise calories so you don't overestimate.
  • doittoloseitonweebly
    Options
    Fun! Anything that mixes up your exercise routine and makes it enjoyable is a win in my book.
    My 5 year old daughter recently started getting into jump roping. Now we do it together - its a nice workout, and makes me feel like a kid again.
  • Hannahp1402
    Options
    thanks to anyone helpful :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great whole body resistance training as body tenses every muscle on every jump.

Start reading up on different landings and you can target muscle groups better too.

As such HRM is likely to be inflated calorie burn since the elevated HR isn't from exertion but rather just tensing. Which sure can tire you out, like endurance lifting of light weights.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    check out the 'urban rebounder'
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If it helps get you moving, then sure thing, go on it and play!

I wouldn't necessarily say a trampoline is going to solve your weight loss problems.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The more fun something is the more likely you will do it. Enjoy and have fun. It also gets you off the couch and away from the snacks.
  • Hannahp1402
    Options
    Thanks all :)

Just to clarify I do insanity three times a week , walk 4 miles on a Saturday and 4 miles on a Sunday and this was just something I thought I could do aswell. I would like to do more exercise and appreciate that even though a trampoline may not be fantastic I want to enjoy it aswell.

Hannah

P.S I woke up today with a sore legs and stomach so it did something to do me...........
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about the benefits of trampolining but it must work to core to a certain level and if it gets the blood pumping that's gotta be a good thing - I would suggest making it fun.

Plus its a good exercise for all the family.

292399_bb1f2a9ee1dfd703fc55fe3a63fc7bc5_large.jpg
  • Hannahp1402
    Options
    Ha ha I remember doing that to my dog when I was younger - feel bad about it now though lol :)
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I say it gets you moving, go for it. It may not burn a ton of calories, but some is better than none. Have fun!!
  • Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The trampoline is great for your lymphatic system. It is an entire body experience. I have lost a couple inches this way. It will strengthen your core, hips, thighs, calves and butt. At least it did for me. It is supposed to strengthen your bones as well. Trampolines get a bad rap from "true life style athletes". I am just a fat woman who has actually used one. Either way, they are fun.
  • shihadeh124
    Options
    I just started jumping on my trampoline playing with my son and I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.. we jump for about an hour every day and im still losing weight.. that's a win for me :)
  • micamoco
    micamoco Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a mini trampoline that I will jog on and I think it's a great workout. It is low resistance, which also helps.