exercise and monthly cycle

Options
Is it better to exercise while during the week of my cycle or should i just take a break that week?. I started working out intensely last week and this was supposed to be week 2. It started and was lighter then usual and I didn't have the normal pain. I figured it was because I am now losing the weight. I lost 4 pounds since I started a month ago. I just got intense last week on an elliptical. Should I still exercise or take a break?. i feel like I should take a break and just watch what I eat.

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    most people benefit from working out during it as it eases up on a lot of the symptoms. the only people who really don't/shouldn't are those with severe health problems and they honest to goodness can't do it
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you're in pain - don't workout.
    If you're fine - why not?

Personally, I don't care if it's TOM or not, I just care how I feel. As long as everything is fine, I go workout. :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Don't stop working out just because of TOM.....you will actually feel better by working out.
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/period-workout#.

This article basically says that your metabolism is more like a man's during your period week and the week after because your body is working harder to prepare itself for possible pregnancy. I also personally like working out during this time because I feel I push myself harder and the stretching and warming up my body helps with the cramps as well as the excessive water drinking I do when I run :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Continue your workout plan unless you have debilitating symptoms with TOM
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Workout during is a huge plus. I always have less pain when I am working out. Sometimes I think the pain is too great to even move but I force myself to do and never have regretted it yet.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Supposedly mild exercise can help alleviate cramping. Maybe try your usual routine, and if it's too much, dial it back some?
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My TOM started Sunday, tired, achy, crampy. I did Zumba for about 45 minutes at beginner and did feel better. Kind of broke me out of that lethargic feeling.

I think everyone's different though so do what is best for you.
  • akarras823
    Options
    I definitely notice a drop in energy levels the week before, but during, it's really helpful to workout - helps cramps diminish.
  • ElizaKat001
    ElizaKat001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always work out during my TOM! It makes me feel so much less fatigued and sluggish. That being said, I tend to do more cardio than normal during that week. I get pretty bad muscle aches, and lifting doesn't help!
  • Sarah_828
    Sarah_828 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that experiences the opposite. If I workout at the beginning of my TOM it makes my cramps worse! I usually take a couple of days off but then jump right back in. It all depends on what feels right for you.
  • BHeineman93
    Options
    thank you all. I think Iw ill try it first and then see how I feel about it. Im sure we all feel gross as it is. I hate making it worse. Brings me back to those high school gym class days when i had gym everyday and was forced to participate in gym while on my period
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out my first period was a breeze, light, no cramping - I erroneously thought, great exercise will make my periods much easier to deal with. The following month - I honestly thought and hoped I would just pass out from the pain. Since then I have become proactive and when I get up in the morning during that TOM I pop some Advil and hit the gym - working out still makes that time easier for me in general despite the cramps - which sad to say for me have not gotten any better.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why not? Pop some pain killers if needed and carry on.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should matter whether you're on your period or not. I find that right before my period and in the beginning of my cycle during my period I am more likely to be in pain. I still exercise and it still helps, but I can't do the intensity that I normally do. I would still exercise during your period--- having ligher rather than heavier periods are nice and exercise can help with heavy periods. Now if you're too fatigued or feeling sick, then that is when you take a day off. Or if your legs are about to go out on you, but a little more pain here and there is tolerable.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Do you still go to work during your period? Take care of your kids? Maintain your household? Walk the dog? Or whatever your daily life generally entails?
    If yes, then still exercise.
    this. Besided it helps alleviate pain and that is what tampax sport was invented for