Spray Oil - how do you count it?

Options
I use spray oil to cook with and I have never counted it. But when I am grilling veggies I'll spray my small foreman grill quite often, and same when I am flipping food in the pan, and I'm thinking that this may be adding up quite a lot.
What do you think about spray oil and uncounted calories?

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    eh, i wouldn't sweat the small stuff like that... just be proud you are preparing food in a healthier way...
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use it daily for my pan when I cook my egg whites - I don't count it. That's NOT going to make me gain the weight.
  • irtata43
    irtata43 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree, I never count it and I use it quite a bit.
  • circusgal96
    circusgal96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Actually if you get the Olive Oil spray, it is actually 0 calories. I have checked the cans before buying and found that the Alberton's brand is not only less expensive, but also 0 calories, so spray away!

2667378.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It does have calories, but I never count it. Anything that has less than 5 calories is allowed to say zero calories. Notice that the serving size is a 1/3 second spray. I don't even see how that is possible, or even a serving. But a one second spray is 7 calories.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size about 1/3-second spray (.266g)
    Servings per container about 438

PAM (1-second spray) 7 calories
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't but I probably should as it does add up. I was using Pam brand EVOO spray and saw on the can that 1/5 of spray was one serving? GULP!:noway: OMG..I used to shoot out several sprays of it (I wouldn't even know how to have counted it!), I'm out of it now though and use the non aerosol type of Canola Oil in a pump. Not sure that even have checked the label yet.

Same as gum, it has 5 cals a piece in the type I chew and I might chew 1-2 pieces on some days but don't count it. Not saying a person shouldn't, I just haven't thought of it while logging my other foods.

It all does add up but for myself my main goal is not binging, maintaining my weight, getting my workouts in, etc., so for me it would definitely get compulsive if I started adding those types of things in. I'm bad about being compulsive if I'm not careful and then it becomes a 'diet mentality' for me and that's the last thing I need to get into again.:frown:

Just how I do ...:tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    It does have calories, but I never count it. Anything that has less than 5 calories is allowed to say zero calories. Notice that the serving size is a 1/3 second spray. I don't even see how that is possible, or even a serving. But a one second spray is 7 calories.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size about 1/3-second spray (.266g)
    Servings per container about 438

PAM (1-second spray) 7 calories
    That's almost laughable isn't it, a 1 second spray...my brain doesn't even comprehend that.:frown: :tongue:
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1 second spray is 7 calories? Wow! Thanks for that information!
    I may spray my food about 10 times so that can be 70 extra cals, it might be an idea for me to start counting. If I didn't use much I wouldnt, but I do! :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You have used too much if the can is empty in one use. I found that if I heat some oil in the pan/forman grill, then wipe it around with a folded paper towel I don't use as much as I would using a spray. Good non-stick pans are great!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    1 second spray is 7 calories? Wow! Thanks for that information!
    I may spray my food about 10 times so that can be 70 extra cals, it might be an idea for me to start counting. If I didn't use much I wouldnt, but I do! :)

I don't use it often, but when I do, I spray a lot. I just realized for example when I make a grilled cheese sandwich, it may just be less calories to use a teaspoon of country crock butter @ 15 calories than to use the cooking spray.

eta: I just did the math and a whole can is 1022 calories.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    If you've been fine not counting the spray before, then I say don't even bother. I use cooking oil spray and that "0-calorie" butter spray. Obviously, it does have calories, but so far, I haven't counted any of it. You body isn't quite SO mathematical. Even plus or minus 50 calories won't do much. :) The spray is still significantly less than actual oil or butter though... In my opinion at least.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    You have used too much if the can is empty in one use. I found that if I heat some oil in the pan/forman grill, then wipe it around with a folded paper towel I don't use as much as I would using a spray. Good non-stick pans are great!
    Who on earth would use the full can in one use though? That's a wee bit of coverage in a pan:laugh:

If this was in reference to my post of my can now being empty, :laugh: I had the can for over a year so it certainly wasn't a one time spray that emptied it.:noway: :tongue:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Who on earth would use the full can in one use though? That's a wee bit of coverage in a pan:laugh:

If this was in reference to my post of my can now being empty, :laugh: I had the can for over a year so it certainly wasn't a one time spray that emptied it.:noway: :tongue:

LOL! No slam here hun! I was thinking of my boyfriend and the first time he used Pam! He must have used half a can, when I found the remaining sitting on the counter when I got home, I asked what he had made...."a stir fry". Rather than put a bit of oil in the pan he thought he was being "good" using the spray.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hahaha thats funny!
    Sometimes it might be better to wipe the surface with some regular olive oil - cheaper too :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

LOL! No slam here hun! I was thinking of my boyfriend and the first time he used Pam! He must have used half a can, when I found the remaining sitting on the counter when I got home, I asked what he had made...."a stir fry". Rather than put a bit of oil in the pan he thought he was being "good" using the spray.
    OMGGG!! Too funny:laugh: :tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Hahaha thats funny!
    Sometimes it might be better to wipe the surface with some regular olive oil - cheaper too :)
    I have to agree, definitely cheaper and easier to track I'm sure!:wink: