Women Who Lift Heavy- How did you start?

Options
savemama
savemama Posts: 105 Member
I have been wanting to lift heavy for SO LONG but keep getting held back by the finances involved (buying equipment, hiring trainer etc...)

So I'm curious- for women who had success at lifting heavy- How did you START?

Obviously over time your momentum builds, your investment builds, etc... But I'm wanting some practical direction for a starting place?

Because right now I have myself convinced that I need to hold off until I can afford some training (still not gonna happen for a while). Is that really true? Be honest!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman, but I think I can help.

Assuming you have a gym membership, pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W), or read Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe. Then, start either StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or NROL4W. If you're not sure about form, record it and bring it here for critique. The Eat, Train, Progress group is good, and you'll get some good feedback on your form, as well as other help, should you need it.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1.) Have a gym membership.
    2.) Learn proper form for lifting. (If you can't afford a trainer, watch videos at bodybuilding dot com, they're very informative and you can pull them up on your mobile device for reference. Practice form with light or no weight, then build from there when you can see you're doing it right. Two things to remember: focus on the muscle group you're supposed to be working, and in almost every lift KEEP YOUR ABS TIGHT. Those stabilizing muscles are essential to good form in almost every lift.)
    3.) Practice.
    4.) Increase your lifting every week or two weeks, even if it's just by adding a rep, or a 2.5lb plate. Every little bit helps.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Assuming you have a gym membership, pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W), or read Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe. Then, start either StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or NROL4W. If you're not sure about form, record it and bring it here for critique. The Eat, Train, Progress group is good, and you'll get some good feedback on your form, as well as other help, should you need it.
    +1
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I kind of jumped right in, practicing a lot of things in my room before I ventured to the gym. I learned by watching others first. I wasn't afraid to ask experienced lifters for help either. There are always nice people willing to help. :)

A good way to start is to buy a book like New Rules of Lifting, Strong Curves, etc. They will teach you how to do the lifts and give you programs to get you going.

I personally think trainers are expensive and unnecessary.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

This. Also, you can go into a trainer at the gym for just a session or two to have them check form if you're feeling unsure about the lifts rather than spend money on having a trainer more frequently. I know the trainers at my gym will gladly give a few free pointers if I ask them to, but I'm not sure that's the case at every gym.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I went and picked up New Rules of Lifting for Women and just started :) It is what you have to do. You can wait and get training if you want, but it is deffinitely not nesessary.

I agree with TR0berts, get form corrections here if that is what you need :) I personally do not work out with anyone and that is how I like it. I don't have to wait for someone or get distracted talking :P

If you have a gym membership, the gym is typically the best place with NROLFW. Otherwise stronglifts requires the LEAST amount of equipment :) I LOVE lifting heavy and it is definately worth it :D

Good luck to you in your continued fitness goals!!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, I started two weeks ago and love it! I was lucky that a friend gave me some weights and a barbell but I've already outgrown those so having to fork out for an Olympic set. It's work the investment though as I've really enjoyed it so far, my clothes fit better already and I love feeling I'm getting stronger.

I downloaded the app and work from that and there are videos on YouTube showing you each move so you can get your form right.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What does 'life heavy' mean? I do the open bench press, all free weights pretty much, etc. Is that what you mean, or do you mean competition lifting?

The trainers at my gym do mostly body weight exercises for strengthening and toning with their clients and steer clear of the open weights. Lifting is almost meditation time that you don't necessarily want to do with someone who is not inside your body telling you what is too heavy or too light. And no offense guys, you give the girls you are working out with weights that are too heavy for them and especially for moms, you don't understand that we don't want to have a rest day when we can't move our entire upper body - we have to lift the kids. I am very strong and I see guys all the time bringing their girlfriends in who look like they've never worked out a day in their life and they're handing them WAY more than I lift and barking at them that their form is off. Those girls appear once and never again.

Once you get some basics down you don't really want a trainer around, just some good music. You and I have other personal things in common based on your profile so you if you want to connect on the side just send me a friend request.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Step 1: read about it (I'm doing SL5x5 so I read the whole thing plus all the threads on it)

Step 2: Go to gym and have someone show you how to do the lifts

Step 3: do the lifts.

I pondered it and thought about it for a month before I said screw it, and went!!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Push your car up and down the street for a week or two and see if you like it. I am not kidding.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all above posters - like Nike say, just do it :bigsmile:

I read through NRoLfW actually after I'd started - but it's a handy read. I'd recommend though that when you go to the gym for the induction session to ask the person showing you around (who is usually a PT - round here anyway) to show you the free weights section and proper form on some of the main compound moves. They're always happy to spot you anyway, so it's not a big ask!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    -Got a gym membership.
    -Picked a program (Stronglifts 5x5's last year, this year I switched to All Pro's SBR)
    -Watched videos and practiced proper form without weights
    -Went to the gym and just started
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers! :)

I do have a gym membership- haven't been a while.... But I have it!

Only thing- my experience has NOT been that the people at the gym are "happy to spot" or "happy to give pointers".. I've actually only experienced high pressure sales from the "trainers" around the gym- and I question if they even know how to train a woman to lift honestly.

But I will for sure check out all those books/videos mentioned. Those are great pointers! THanks! :)
  • Billie09
    Billie09 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started by taking a Les Mills body pump class. It taught me correct form and gave me the confidence to do free weights. I also have the new rules of lifting for women. Taking the weights class has been the best thing ever, it has changed my body shape faster than anything. Good luck.
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    New Rules of lifting for women was where i started. it was a perfect way to go. they go thru a lot of the forms of the lifts, along with ways to make them harder if they are too easy, and the best modifications, etc. I liked it so much i finished NR of Abs as well, and im now working on New Rules Supercharged for the 2nd time.

i also do a lot of YouTube research. if you ever wonder if your form is right or wrong, there IS a video to show you proper form. watch them. learn from them. and ask questions. we all started somewhere and we love to talk about it. :D
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started adding weights to my exercise programme in January and have noticed a significant difference in my shape even in this short period. I do several lifts including dead lift, sumo lift, clean press, military lift and bench press. Technique i gained from watching recommended youtube clips and then took myself to gym. I just asked one of the trainers for some tips re the lifts and played with the weights until i found the weight that would allow me to do the repitition for 5 x 5 strong lift. Trainers are usually keen to offer advice and that is part of your gym membership. i wish you good luck with it and hope you find like me that it is a totally different workout to spending an hour at gym doing treadmill etc. To be honest the muscles that hurt the most weren't my upper body though they did ache at first but the killers were my quads and gluts lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get a gym
    get a program
    get reading
    make a plan (or use one provided to you)
    go lift.
    be fabulous
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I started off by taking a body pump class. It wasn't enough (I personally felt like I was just flinging light weights around) so I started using the Chalean Extreme program and learned proper form etc.

Then I got a hold of other heavy lifting dvd programs (Cathe Friedrich's Slow & Heavy series, Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Strength Challenge, Supreme 90 Day System etc.) and bought New Rules of Lifting for Women which helped to take me to another level.

Watching different people on Youtube doing various moves also helped me as well.

Good luck!!!
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just jumped into it with NROLFW. That worked well for me. If you're very unsure, a trainer might not be a bad idea for a couple sessions just to get you accustomed to the gym and equipment. Right now I'm working my way through Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass. Look it up- its a downloadable manual full of different training programs and it has links to videos so you know how to properly do the lifts. Nia's workouts are very easy and simple.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!