lifters: how long until I lose some inches?

Options
I've only been doing stronglifts for about 3 weeks but I was wondering if I should be noticing any changes yet? My measurements have not.changed one bit :( how long did it take any of you?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My progress has been very slow. I've been lifing for about 3 months or so and haven't lost that many inches. Take pics, they'll show a world of difference.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How's your diet?

And different people are different.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Some days I do and some days I eat at mainTenance
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Any time I have done Stronglifts, the weight/inches came off slowly but surely. Stick with it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    way longer than three weeks. there is no definitive way to answer your question; there are about a gazillion variables involved here.

despite clever marketing and what not, people do not obtain that fitness body in 30 days or 90 days or whatever. I would also add that simply lifting weights doesn't mean you'll lose anything...losing inches and weight is largely about your diet. the exercise you do is largely for fitness.

ETA, if you're doing a re-comp and pretty much eating to maintenance, it's very slow. In the past 10 months I've maintained my weight and have lost about an inch to 1.5 inches. It's slow...like way longer the a few weeks.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really notice any physical changes that quickley. Initial adaptation to strength training is almost all neuro-muscular rather than hypertrophy. The initial adaptation period can go for a long time. So any changes that you would see would occur only if you were dieting. In that case you might lose 3 to 5 lbs of actual fat weight in the time frame you are talking about.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat to grow. Up your protein intake to a reasonable level and lift heavier, but a controlled heavy. Achrya is right though, different people are different. Also, Rome wasn't built in a day so don't be discouraged by not seeing rapid gains
  • Achrya
    Options

Are you doing a form of IF or something of that manner?
  • jardimgirl
    Options

Y

Yes
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    About 6 months for me, however, after 6 months the inches just FELL off me. It's a great motivator to work even HARDER!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for close to two months, while eating at a very minimal deficit. I do not think I have lost any inches yet, nor much weight. But, I do feel like things are tighter. My overall mass is unchanged, but things jiggle much less. It is still though a very slow process and I bet the majority of people in my life have not noticed a physical difference yet.
  • Achrya
    Options

Y

Yes

But you're maintaining a deficit over all? Because while you gain eat at maintenance and see results that's a process generally regarded as very...time consuming. (I'm not knocking recomps btw, just stating that they tend to take a 'longer' amount of time.)

Basically, as everyone else said, your diet will have the most to do with loss of inches.
  • jardimgirl
    Options

Y

Yes

But you're maintaining a deficit over all? Because while you gain eat at maintenance and see results that's a process generally regarded as very...time consuming. (I'm not knocking recomps btw, just stating that they tend to take a 'longer' amount of time.)

Basically, as everyone else said, your diet will have the most to do with loss of inches.

So should I stick with a small deficit? I'm at a good weight imo but if I lose more its ok ( I'm 5'0 and weigh 116 lbs)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Everyone's journey with lifting is so different. My first month I lost a ton of inches and poundage and people kept commenting..and now I've plateaued even at a deficit. Just stick with it, keep eating clean (at whatever calories, maintenance or deficit), and it'll happen.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    I hoped that I would've seen at leat a little change :( guess I'll stick with it a little while more
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Really stick with it for at least 6 months before judging. It really can take a while. Its not a quick fix type of thing.