Core strengthening / Lower back pain

Options
Hello MFP,

I have pain in my lower back for about 4 weeks, and have been told by my doctor that I have strained a muscle in my lower back, she has advised me to continue being active and to focus on strengthening my core. Her advice was to buy a gym ball and focus on exercises such as the plank. I was hoping some of you would have some further advice on what exercises I can do to strengthen my core?

Many thanks!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've found that deadlifts have been the most helpful in strengthening my back, esp. lower.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    front planks, side planks, 1 arm planks, glute bridges, gym ball pikes, gym ball jack knifes, standing russian twists. Also, if you have access to a weight room I would highly recommend compound lifts.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Did your doc say strain or sprain? A strain is an injury to muscle or tendon. A sprain is an injury to a ligament.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a different POV here. If your back is currently injured - rest, don't try to strengthen it. You'll likely make it worse.

That said, once you're healed, the core exercises listed above are good. I'd recommend - if you start deadlifts - to go veeeeeery light, to begin.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The Plank move (and its variations) is probably the best one you could do. You could also deadlift but that's risky with a back injury. Hyperextensions are the next safest thing to a deadlift if you can't do deadlifts yet
  • janeybabe2610
    janeybabe2610 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lower back pain too and since starting exercises It does help it depending on the injury, but my physio says to def do back strengthening exercises like lying on your back and lowering your legs at different single or both play around with it and its great for your lower abdominals. also on your hands and knees lift opposite arm and leg for about 20-30 secs.
  • doover3
    doover3 Posts: 25
    Options
    Did your doc say strain or sprain? A strain is an injury to muscle or tendon. A sprain is an injury to a ligament.

Ah yes, strain, sorry for the confusion!
  • doover3
    Options
    I'm taking a different POV here. If your back is currently injured - rest, don't try to strengthen it. You'll likely make it worse.

That said, once you're healed, the core exercises listed above are good. I'd recommend - if you start deadlifts - to go veeeeeery light, to begin.

It's actually resting that is causing more pain, I feel a lot better when I am moving and walking. Doc said to keep up activity, but listen to my body and not push harder than necessary until fully heeled. Thanks for the advice.
  • doover3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, I will start with the plank and variations, and some ball exercises. Will look into weights/deadlifts when I'm all healed, I currently don't have access to any weights but will definitely consider my options.

Thanks again!
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did the same in November last year ...

Mine was caused by anterior pelvis twist (sticking your bum out) - probably started during pregancies (kids are 10 and 7 yrs old now), so over time the muscle is gradually weakened,

So for me, it was re-aligning my pelvis (still have to remind myself to tuck my bum in and under (try to remove lumbar hollow) ...and lots of lower back strengthening moves.

Here were some of the exercises
    - bridge, but with lifting one foot off the ground. (Lay on back, knees bent, feet on floor. left bum lower back and middle back off the floor)

- half side plank (held for about 10secs) (on knees)

This is a great site with lots of useful exercises that I tried
    http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/ata-blog/2013/03/lumbar-strain/
  • klwasinger
    Options
    I've been doing Pilates and Kettle Bell workouts at home. They are AWESOME core strengtheners.
  • donlou33
    donlou33 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi!

I've got a long standing back problem (vertebrae, discs and sciatic nerve) Like you, I find it helps to keep moving and I won't give up exercising.
    I have found planking to be most helpful. I'm currently doing my own version of plank challenge. Day 1 I managed 30 seconds before collapsing to the floor :) Today is day 14 and I just managed 1 minute 20 secs. I allow myself to move forward 5/10 seconds each time I do it (4/5 times weekly) If I feel anything in my spine I stop and warm up a little more.

Included in the warm up - lots of stretches and hip rotations.
    The cat vomit, as I like to call it :) feels good for stretching your back out gently > hands and knee's on the floor - first relax by exhaling - without moving position squeeze/suck your tummy inwards as if trying to make your tummy button touch your spine - your back will arch/stretch a little- hold a few seconds - now breath out as you go back to start position -slowly repeat lots.

Hip arches - I start on both legs the change to one leg raised.

I do leg extensions too - on hands and knees and slowly swing my knee up under my chest then extend it all the way out.

I have also found kettlebells brilliant for strengthening my core and back muscles.

Hope you feel better soon.