Wheat Belly

Options
Just wondering if anyone has read this book or started eating wheat free? Would love some ideas for recipes, advice, thoughts, etc.....

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of different advice about this.

MY OPINION: nothing wrong with wheat/gluten if you're not allergic to it. HOWEVER, the less processed your carbs, the better for your overall health. I eat 100% whole grains almost every day. A sensible caloric deficits is how to lose weight consistently without tears.
  • Lauriesongs
    Lauriesongs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the diet, but because my son has Celiac disease, I cook mostly gluten free for our family. It's not realy that hard to do wheat free - you just have to think a little more! I can give you a lot of tips and recipe ideas. Send me a friend request if you'd like.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book but I have been gluten free (so wheat free) since last June. Best advice I have would be to get comfortable in the kitchen replacing store bought items with homemade. Most store bought wheat free/ gluten free items taste horrible and are made with horrible ingredients and not worth their price at all. http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/gluten-free-recipes/ is the site I found most of my initial recipes on until I got comfortable fiddling with my own and her flour mix is a great starter.

I found the first month to be the hardest getting over my apparent addiction to things like toast/ sandwiches since I personally didn't want to find anything to replace them, I just wanted to stop having so many risen bread products period. Now though its second nature and I love knowing more of what's in my food as well as avoiding the nasty side effects I had previously.

I also should add that I am not celiac or diagnosed gluten intolerant I just took a 30 day challenge to see if it would help get rid of what seemed to be permanent bloating and digestive issues after my 3rd pregnancy and stuck with it after. Now not only are my organs in great working order, I feel way more energetic, I sleep so much better and I've only had 1 migraine since. I didn't do it for weight loss, and if that is your only goal in cutting such a large food group out I would recommend just cutting down instead, but I will say it definitely helps with eating healthier.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book but I have been gluten free (so wheat free) since last June. Best advice I have would be to get comfortable in the kitchen replacing store bought items with homemade. Most store bought wheat free/ gluten free items taste horrible and are made with horrible ingredients and not worth their price at all. http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/gluten-free-recipes/ is the site I found most of my initial recipes on until I got comfortable fiddling with my own and her flour mix is a great starter.

I found the first month to be the hardest getting over my apparent addiction to things like toast/ sandwiches since I personally didn't want to find anything to replace them, I just wanted to stop having so many risen bread products period. Now though its second nature and I love knowing more of what's in my food as well as avoiding the nasty side effects I had previously.

I also should add that I am not celiac or diagnosed gluten intolerant I just took a 30 day challenge to see if it would help get rid of what seemed to be permanent bloating and digestive issues after my 3rd pregnancy and stuck with it after. Now not only are my organs in great working order, I feel way more energetic, I sleep so much better and I've only had 1 migraine since. I didn't do it for weight loss, and if that is your only goal in cutting such a large food group out I would recommend just cutting down instead, but I will say it definitely helps with eating healthier.

Thanks so much for the advice/thoughts. I appreciate it.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the advice/thoughts. I appreciate it.

No problem. If you have any other questions feel free to message me or add me. :)