Does saving calories on weekdays for weekends work?

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This can lead to binging for some. What matters is your overall weekly intake. That being said, it's counterproductive to have massive caloric swings from day to day. For example 1500 and then 3000, 1500, repeat.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Recently I find myself doing the opposite. I often end up in work situations eating with colleagues -- especially on Thursday and Friday -- and I have to reduce on the weekend to stay on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are ultimately in a net deficit position, why would it matter? Purely from an energy standpoint, it doesn't. My biggest issue with this is people who do heavy exercise and then save up those calories rather than providing the body the nutrients it needs to recover and repair. The harder you're training, the more you are breaking down your body thus requiring more energy and nutrients for recovery and repair.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to be under a little every day because I typically want to eat more the three days before my periods, and I allow it, so this discourages me from over eating the rest of the month. It's working for me so far, and planning it that way prevents me from feeling guilty that time of the month when I'm already feeling emotionally low from low hormones : )
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Try it for four weeks and see how it goes for you. Technically it will work but it's a mental thing for most people and if your brain is telling you it's not working, well, then it won't work.

Personally I count calories based on a weekly total (Fri-Thu). When not training for a race, I typically don't work out on weekends and do save calories from weekdays (though weighing on Fridays it's more like catching up during the weekdays) but I still set a daily limit for Sat/Sun. When training though my long run day is Sunday and I pretty much stick to daily counting with Friday being more of my binge day for the week. Never had a problem either way.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This can lead to binging for some. What matters is your overall weekly intake. That being said, it's counterproductive to have massive caloric swings from day to day. For example 1500 and then 3000, 1500, repeat.

Counterproductive to what? If what matters is overall weekly intake, how are big swings a problem as long as you're running a weekly or overall deficit/maintenance/surplus, depending on goals?

I can see that this might be an issue if your goal is muscle building, but for those whose goal is simply maintenance and a sane, comfortable lifestyle, it can work quite well. I know - I've been maintaining for 18+ months using a deficit week/surplus weekend plan, and that's how I lost weight too (3-4 days of surplus a month). I lost like clockwork, never hitting a "plateau" and I don't think calorie cycling hurt me a bit.
  • uptomoonandback
    uptomoonandback Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also eat at a deficit during the week. I have MFP set to 1/2 loss, that allows me to go over 1750 during the week (80% of which happens during the weeknd). This allows me to not be so rigid. I know if I ate to the total 1570 that it gives me each day come the weekend, I would need to stay at that also and with the meals we eat going out after church, that wouldn't work.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I eat really well Mon-Fri.

On Fri / Saturday / Sunday I eat a little bit less restrictive. Usually breakfast & lunch are my normal lunches but for dinner I'll have a few more calories or a scoop or two of ice cream. A treat. Been losing since January 1st doing it this way.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do this to an extent but I have to be careful with how much of a deficit I create during the week. If I don't keep to at least close to 2000/day during the week then I start to get really hungry and the weekend ends up worse. So it's a minor deficit during the week to allow for what I know will be over on the weekend. That being said, I will often end up decently over on the weekend especially if both days involve social situations. That usually ends up to averaging a bit over what I think is maintenance but then that balances out with the weeks with fewer social obligations so it's more like a monthly balance. :) I just feel too restricted on the weekends if I try to keep to a constant calorie limit and that doesn't work for me.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I just feel too restricted on the weekends if I try to keep to a constant calorie limit and that doesn't work for me.

Exactly how I feel. There is no way I would have been successful losing what I have, and maintaining the loss for a year and a half, if I tracked calories every day and restricted at social events. I'd go nuts.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me --- I try to stay within my calorie goal every day. We usually make dinner at home on the weekdays and eat out a bunch on the weekends. If I'm planning to eat more -- I'll just make sure I get in some exercise to cover for the overage. It works for me. :bigsmile:
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I actually do 6:1 so that I can save those calories for the weekends. I hate watching what I eat EVERY single day.

Last week I didn't do 6:1---that plus some vacation time = me going slightly over for the week. Not the end of the world---I've only gone slightly over my calories for the week twice since I started MFP in July 2013. And sometimes if I eat less than I thought from M-F, I will overcompensate on both days. I can't afford to lose any more weight.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It worked a treat for me during weight loss and occassionally I'll use it as an emergency measure in maintenance if I have a big event coming up, but normally with a big workout I'm able to create a big enough calorie bank within the day.

So long as you don't exceed your weekly calorie allowwance you should be fine.
  • rwglick
    rwglick Posts: 5
    Options
    It has worked for me for the past year and 4 months. I have yet to have a "week" were I was not in a deficit. Soooo looking forward to total maintenance mode where I plan to roll over 500 to 1000 a day to use on the weekends then if I don't need them I'll cut a workout or not roll over as much the following week. I agree with what others have said if I didn't have a "reward" of getting to eat something good at least once a week I don't know that I could have stuck with it. Good luck.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do that. It's a practice I got into when I was doing weight watchers back in the day. As long as you don't go super crazy with the extra weekend calories you should be fine.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all your point of view on this issue! I guess I can now try doing that as well! I
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do that. At first it was unintentionally, but then I thought "if this works for me why not?", I was feeling so guilty for going over my calories at the weekends, especially on friday/saturday.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This is what I did (without really thinking about it) when I successfully maintained years ago. Now I'm with a trainer for heavy lifting, and he prefers that I be consistent across days and also within a day, meaning he'd prefer that I spread my calories out over a day rather than eat any one large meal. He said that it's not the end of the world to bank calories for a big dinner--that the body will get what it needs when it needs it--but everything will be more efficient with consistency.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is what I did (without really thinking about it) when I successfully maintained years ago. Now I'm with a trainer for heavy lifting, and he prefers that I be consistent across days and also within a day, meaning he'd prefer that I spread my calories out over a day rather than eat any one large meal. He said that it's not the end of the world to bank calories for a big dinner--that the body will get what it needs when it needs it--but everything will be more efficient with consistency.

What are the benefits of maintaining consistency?