Too old

Options
speeno
speeno Posts: 55 Member
Hi all,
well what started off as losing a bit of fat so I could get back into my leathers for the summer has re-ignited my interest in weights and getting back in to shape,
I'm 49 and far too old to be worrying about my weight....or thats what I thought, I used to lift weights/bodybuild for many years when I was younger, but gave up over a decade ago and I slowly gained weight over the years.
Just after xmas I decided to lose a few pounds so the leathers would fit better in the summer, I started eating healthier...then I stumbled upon myfitnesspal app, it is excellent and helped me lose a couple of pounds and see exactly what I'm eating and what my body needs, but now all this healthy eating has re-ingnited my interest in weights and getting in shape....so here I am....lifting half what I could ten years ago but getting stronger and leaner every day...oh.. and having fun along the way : )

Replies

• Christophe2Fit
    Christophe2Fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Man

Never too old, you won't lose as fast as younger folks, you will put them to shame. I had a buddy at work who was like that.

This guy is 60
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/old-bodybuilder-on-reddit_n_2725632.html
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ha, wish I was as OLD as you.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    We dont slow down because we're old, we get old because we slow down. Lift away you geezer. :laugh:
  • speeno
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, can't believe it's taken me over ten years to start caring about my health again : )
    ChristopherMio.....that guy on reddit looks awesome... :noway:
    GeorgeL583... it was tongue in cheek ...:wink:
    oct1timoco... I think you are correct...:happy:
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    I didn't get serious until just before I turned 40. Age is just a number. Good luck on your new journey!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was over 50 before starting getting myself back into shape so you are ahead of the game!

Training and recovery is harder when you are older but that's no excuse, just have to try a bit harder and be a bit smarter.
  • speeno
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys, i've lost 13 pounds in six weeks and am getting stronger but got a good way to go yet, it is harder than I remember :laugh: but it's a project and I'm enjoying it :smile:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'd love to pack my hind end into some leather pants again, or at least be able to say I can...

Cheers!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Im 46. As a woman who was active and let herself go, i also thought i wouldnt be able to bounce back. but i am. and you know its easier for men to get back in shape. so keep it up. I also want to lose weight to give my bike shocks a break. haha. 750 nighthawk here.
  • speeno
    Options
    Rockmama72, mine still fit but were extremely tight...to tight for a man of my age to be seen wearing ...lol

ValGogo...yeah I guess my bike will appreciate the lighter load too : )
  • kwilmington
    Options
    <---fellow rider here!

Getting in and out of leathers is a work out in itself! My husband has a track day lined up in July and he is trying to lose a few pounds as well. Funny a lot of people dont realize how much work it actually takes to ride a full day in the sun.

Good luck!
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    On biking: Summer IS coming
    On too old: WTF?
    On leathers: Can't wait to get mine out and ride!
    On weight loss: CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    no such thing as too old!! If you used to workout you have muscle memory, lucky guy. You'll bounce back in no time. New and improved!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking this step!
  • MzNurse6870
    MzNurse6870 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Never to old! Too start anything. Just step by step until you reach your healthy goal
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its never too late. Over fifty and this year got into the best shape I have ever been since high school. I hated running and now love it. Just started weights (Nautilus) two weeks ago to start building some upper body strength. Don't want to get hurt so I go slow into everything now. Had to donate all my pants, suits and shirts so if you get back into it you may end up needing new leathers anyway.
  • ELM70CA
    ELM70CA Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 43, close to 44.

50 isn't that old!?!?! lol :)

It is never to late to look and feel your best, at 50 -60 etc....
  • speeno
    Options
    I'm loving all the reply's...thanks guys...everything still going to plan, dropped another kg this week :happy:
    also nice to see a few fellow riders out there :bigsmile: