trouble squatting without going over toes

Options
I never used to have pain in my knees, or trouble squatting, but I took off over a year while pregnant and when my son was a little baby, and now my knees are killing me. I pay close attention and try not to go over my toes, but then I can't get very deep in a squat or lunge. My quads need more of a workout, but no matter how I position myself, my knees go forward too much. I need tips on how to keep from doing this while also getting deeper into my movement. I don't go all the way past my toes very often, I'll stop right away if I am, but I'm not above my heel, either. Sort of in the middle of my foot.

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without a video, as it could be a ton of different things. Why wide are your feet spread apart?
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll try to take a video after my son goes to sleep. I do different types, depending on the exercise (I'm doing the 30 day shred and various beach body cardio and resistance training routines) so sometimes the feet are together, sometimes hip width, sometimes a bit wider, sometimes a lot wider, like sumo. I have the most trouble when the feet are together, or if I'm doing side lunges.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if you squat with your feet close together then your knees going over your toes is acceptable. thats how i squat. if i widen my stance then i get a slight pain in my outter left knee. dont worry about your knees over toes unless it becomes a problem.

here is an excellent explaination of this.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHc323QwFE
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have to be hyper aware of my back, make sure it's straight and my head is up. My back will round if my head is down and then I have bad form. I also make sure my feet are shoulder width apart and go slow.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Can you ask a trainer to give you some advice on form? In-person will better be able to see your needs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sara and I run a group where you can post your lifting videos if you would like a form critique. Having said that, knees going over the toes is not necessarily a bad thing in all circumstances.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1146855-form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wall sits to see what your doing? just a suggestion for support
  • thursdaystgiles
    thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers
    Sara and I run a group where you can post your lifting videos if you would like a form critique. Having said that, knees going over the toes is not necessarily a bad thing in all circumstances.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1146855-form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

That's great. I'll try to get one tonight. I wouldn't be worried except my knees have started hurting. I don't think any of the other moves would cause that pain.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Same problem, gotta just keep working at it. My trainer says, "chest out, back arched, drive at the knees, butt out, drive the heels into the ground not on the toes" and just keep working at it. Eventually it comes and you get it and you get deeper and lower "into the hole" which is the low squat position. LOL all this gym jargon!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The thing I tell myself every time I do squats is "*kitten* to the grass!" - get that butt as close to the ground as possible to avoid pressure on the knees:smile:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I had knee problems after my children were born too.

Turns out that weight gain and a muscular imbalance (in the muscles that support the knees...hamstrings, quads, etc) due to decreased activity (and wacked out center of gravity lol) was my problem.

The more I squat (lunge, step) the more stable my knees become and the less they hurt.

But that is just my experience......

Good luck :)

(also...in for reading of future advice/comments)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The bar should remain over the middle part of your foot.

Squat.jpg