calories

Options
Question, may be a dumb one but I want to make sure I am doing this right! I am eating 1200cal/day which I find is going good so far. My fitbit and Map My Walk are all synced into my fitness pal so when I exercise, I see I gain back calories after depleting some. Am I only supposed to consume the 1200/day or consume what I gain back from exercise as well? Thank you for any and all advice!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First of all, why are you eating 1,200 calories?

As far as eating back calories that are burned through exercise, yes, you should be eating them back. Some people eat back half, some people eat back all the calories, however MFP often over estimates calorie burns.
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit too. I usually eat back at least some of them, because I earned them, so I'll enjoy them. I set MFP and FitBit to the same sedentary level and allow the fitbit to add calories if I've exercised enough.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates what you need to lose weight WITHOUT exercise. When you do exercise, you need more fuel for that.
  • jasprague79
    jasprague79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1200cal/day is what I need to consume to hit my goal. And thank you both, certainly helps me out.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    1200cal/day is what I need to consume to hit my goal. And thank you both, certainly helps me out.

MFP sets your goal based on how many pounds per week you tell it you want to lose. But to a minimum of 1200. It is possible to set an inappropriate and too aggressive goal. 2 pounds per week is only for people who are very obese. According to your ticker, you are 10 pounds from goal. Half a pound a week is appropriate.
  • jasprague79
    jasprague79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    10 lbs lost is my first goal, I really need to lose about 35-40 lbs so I am starting with small goals and want to lose 2lbs/week. Thank you for your advice too!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    10 lbs lost is my first goal, I really need to lose about 35-40 lbs so I am starting with small goals and want to lose 2lbs/week. Thank you for your advice too!

1 pound a week then is healthy for 40 pounds. Until you get down to 10-15 pounds to lose, then half a pound a week.