Need maybe advice on upping calories

Options
So i've spent all weekend reading info about TDEE/BMR/deficits...I get it and it makes sense so i'm going to give it a try...however...
i had 1200 set on mfp for the last 3wks and found it hard to meet that most days last week. i wasn't lacking in energy or anything.

based on all the tdee info, i should really be eating around 1800...i'm at 905 right now and am NOT hungry...i probably won't eat dinner until 8ish (it's almost 5 right now) since i don't see being hungry at all until then.

is this too big of a jump in cals? i have derby practice 2x a week, which burns anywhere from 1000-1200 each time and i started the couch to 5k program today. i'm 5'10 and 169, 29yo. i've lost a little over 4lbs in about 1.5months. i know that is steady, but after all the research i feel i may be wrecking something by not eating enough...

any guidance maybe? and if i really should jump to 1700, how in the world can i do that w/o feeling like i'm going to burst at the seams?

Replies

• CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods. Eat some good natural fats. Use some olive oil. Put butter on your toast. The list goes on.......
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eat a spoonful of peanut butter :P A handful of nuts. There are a lot of calorie dense foods that are easy to add to your diet. Stop using "fat free" alternatives to things, sprinkle cheese on stuff, etc.

You don't have to up it all the way at once. Maybe eat an extra 100-200 every week until you get to 1800.
  • anamaule
    anamaule Posts: 5
    Options
    good call on both...i guess things like that slipped my mind when it's been so beaten in that 1200 is the way to go to lose weight!! though i like flavor so i've never been a big fat-free/sugar-free kind of gal lol
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    IMO, you are not eating enough. 900 calories is really not enough if your calories burned on exercise are accurate. I'd either consult your physician or keep reading and researching. Most sources would put your 900 as too low. I would increase calories slowly and see what happens. I personally wouldn't jump all at once - I would go up slowly increasing slowing every week.

Eating too few calories just starts a vicious cycle of having to constantly lower your calorie intake. Not a good thing!
  • anamaule
    anamaule Posts: 5
    Options
    I know it's too low, but i just can't imagine fitting in a whole lot more until later...dinner will put me around 1300 or a little more...it just felt like whoa, 1700 and i've been munching all day, how could i up it that much....
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't know a single derby girl who will perform well in the long run on 1200 calories. You need fuel to perform and keep building your muscles. Period.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I don't know a single derby girl who will perform well in the long run on 1200 calories. You need fuel to perform and keep building your muscles. Period.
    This. Also, the ticker on your page says you only have 10 pounds left to lose. Why in the world did MFP only give you 1200 calories? I'm guessing you told it you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, right? That's way, way too agressive if you only need to lose 10 pounds! Here are some general guidelines for target rates of weight loss:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal