Tell me all about beer

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bass- although I don't like it- it could probably work as well.

some of the Sam's beers are darker- but you'd have to know what you were looking for.

Guiness is definitely the go to though- no questions there!
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh.....I use Killians Irish Red in my Corned Beef (it's "American Irish" and easy to find)

I don't know where you live but you can try some of these....

http://nj1015.com/top-10-most-popular-irish-beers/
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Bass- although I don't like it- it could probably work as well.

some of the Sam's beers are darker- but you'd have to know what you were looking for.

Guiness is definitely the go to though- no questions there!

Bass would be good too.
  • bb_lose_weight
    bb_lose_weight Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Guinness is never a bad starting point.

This
    Also Newcastle Brown Ale works for cooking IMHO

Hadn't thought of that. Yeah, brown ales could work really well in that dish also.

I generally use New Castle Brown Ale for cooking ... esp in Chili
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Link to recipe please :bigsmile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Defining beers by their hues isn't a sure-fire way to find something you like or want to cook with. I could present you with three beers that are both the same shade of dark brown and they could taste very different (ex: Black IPA, Porter and Abbey Dubbel). The writer of the recipe is probably not terribly familiar with beer, either, and assumed stout = all dark beer. I've seen stout called for for most Irish-American recipes, and in general, stouts can be used in a variety of foods (baked goods, especially!).

For corned beef, stout in the recipe makes sense. In the future, you can at least assume dark beer will generally mean "maltier," or made with more malts. Roasted malts vs. other forms of malts can alter flavor, but for cooking purposes, a dry stout is probably best. So Arrogant *kitten* wouldn't be the BEST bet for the flavor profile the recipe's probably looking for (though it's probably still delicious). Guinness is probably a safe bet.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    These days dark beer is more likely to mean stouts or porters, so look for that on the label. You could even go for a dunkel, which is a dark Germanlager, or a schwarzbier, which is another dark German lager but it has a slightly aniseed hint to it.

It really depends what recipe it's going into.

Most good beers will tell you what the flavour is on the label, so go for one that complements your dish.

Stout, as it happens, is a fantastic addition to any chilli.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beer drinker. At all.

+1
    tagged for education
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Beer but switched to liquor cause of the calories in it....one or two is okay but when you drink 8-10 lol
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    <
    Cooler full of yuengling we won playing *kitten* lol
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Dark beers are usually classified as Stouts or Porters
    Ales and Lagers are usually IPA's and various endless other kinds.

Ales are top fermentation yeasts, which means the yeast sits at the top and allows much darker of a beer to be created and allows a much deeper flavor.

Lagers are bottom fermentation yeasts wherein the yeast settles to the bottle and has much more subtle and lighter flavors.

Stouts are 9/10 classified as Ales and have 5 or so major categories: Irish Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal, Foreign, and Imperials. Imperials tend to be the darkest of the bunch but different vendors make them differently.

But as a good guide I'll paste this:

This goes from Lightest to Darkest
    Pale lager, Witbier, Pilsener, Berliner Weisse - these will be lighter and almost equivalent to a coor's light
    Maibock, Blonde Ale
    Weissbier
    American Pale Ale, India Pale Ale - this is usually hoppier than normal and has a slightly darker / golden color to it
    English Bitter, ESB (my personal favorite, it's very caramel like in color and has a wide variety of flavors, if I had to say it was similar to anything else i would say a mix between a yuengling and an ipa)
    Biere de Garde, Double IPA (slightly darker and deeper than a yuengling or esb)
    Dark lager, Vienna lager, Marzen, Amber Ale
    Brown Ale, Bock, Dunkel, Dunkelweizen (the most widely found brown ale I can vouch for is Newcastle Brown - almost light a hazelnut caramel color)

Here is where the darker beers come along:
    Irish Dry Stout, Doppelbock, Porter
    Stout
    Foreign Stout, Baltic Porter
    Imperial Stout

Most of the time stouts and porters taste slightly more chocolatey (cocoa ish) than other beers but are more often packed with antioxidants and flavor. Also, most of the time the darker the beer the less carbonated they are. Which is why Guinness has the carbonation ball thing in it to keep the beer tasting fresh. This also explains why these darker beers taste much better at room temperature or slightly warmer than a normal beer - because you can taste the subtle flavors much more and the carbonation won't be affected.

Also By Country:
    BELGIUM
    Abbey Beers:
    Belgian Browns:
    Golden/Blonde:
    Lambics:
    Red Beers:
    Saisons:
    Trappist Beers:
    White (Wit) Bier:
    GERMANY
    Alt Bier:
    Beliner Weisse:
    Dunkel-weizens:
    Hefe-weizen:
    Bocks:
    ENGLAND
    Barley Wine:
    Bitters English:
    Ordinary bitter:
    Special bitter:
    ESB (Extra Special Bitter):
    English Browns:
    India Pale Ale (IPA):
    Pale Ales:
    Porters:
    Oatmeal Stouts:
    Sweet Stouts (or Cream Stouts):
    Strong Ales:
    SCOTLAND
    Scotch Ale:
    Scottish Ales:
    Scottish Light Ales:
    Scottish Heavy Ales:
    Scottish Export Ales:
    IRELAND
    Dry stouts:
    FRANCE
    Bier de Garde:
    VARYING COUNTRIES
    Foreign-style Stout:
    Imperial Stouts:
    Winter Warmers:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    <
    Cooler full of yuengling we won playing *kitten* lol

... Did you read beyond the title?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
  • marionmmm
    marionmmm Posts: 61
    Options
    Did someone say beer? mmmmmmm glorious glorious beer...wait, sorry, I got distracted....
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Dark beers are usually classified as Stouts or Porters
    Ales and Lagers are usually IPA's and various endless other kinds.

Ales are top fermentation yeasts, which means the yeast sits at the top and allows much darker of a beer to be created and allows a much deeper flavor.

Lagers are bottom fermentation yeasts wherein the yeast settles to the bottle and has much more subtle and lighter flavors.

Stouts are 9/10 classified as Ales and have 5 or so major categories: Irish Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal, Foreign, and Imperials. Imperials tend to be the darkest of the bunch but different vendors make them differently.

Um, no.

The strain of yeast used has no affect on the final color of the beer. Color comes from the Lovibond of the grains used, and their ratios. Dark grains also tend to impart some flavor to the beer - like roasty or chocolatey - but that's not guaranteed either. Carafa III has little of the roasty bitterness, but adds a deep black colour. It is often used for Black IPAs where you want the color but not the flavor.

The more subtle light flavor of a lager comes in part from the yeast (lager yeasts tend to be "neutral") but primarily from the grist, which will have a high % of (usually) pilsner malt, which has a low lovibond rating. Also, lagers tend to be more subtly hopped. Again though, not guaranteed: Black American Lagers are not light, and a Munich Helles can be quite roasty and complex.

Some ale yeasts - e.g. typical English ale yeasts, like Ringwood - can be quite fruity (produce esters); but some - e.g. American yeast 1056 - are "cleaner", letting the hops come through more.
    Most of the time stouts and porters taste slightly more chocolatey (cocoa ish) than other beers but are more often packed with antioxidants and flavor. Also, most of the time the darker the beer the less carbonated they are. Which is why Guinness has the carbonation ball thing in it to keep the beer tasting fresh. This also explains why these darker beers taste much better at room temperature or slightly warmer than a normal beer - because you can taste the subtle flavors much more and the carbonation won't be affected.

Again, not strictly correct...

The widget in a can of Guinness is actually nitrogen, not carbon dioxide. English beers are served with low carbonation as that is the style, not because of the color. But yes, serving warmer (55 F) is better to allow the aromas (esters, hops, grain) to better develop. Light American Lagers taste crap at this temp (or any temp for that matter) because they have no hops, aroma (other than some "corn" from DMS) or flavor to speak of.