High Protein/Low Carb Diet

deannarey13
deannarey13 Posts: 452
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I am taking my dieting to a different level beginning tomorrow. Thing is, I am unsure exactly what I should/shouldn't eat. I am going on a cruise in 5 weeks and I have asked my personal trainer how to lose these last pesky 5 pounds and break my plateau. She told me that for a short period of time she would recommend the High Protein/No-Low Carb approach. This is not something I plan on doing long term, but until my vacation.

I know that I can eat meats and veggies, but I can't live on just these! Help!!!

What kinds of foods should I be eating and which ones should I avoid?

Also, does anyone know how many carbs this means I should try to limit myself to? Anyone doing the Akins or South Beach? How many do you consume?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    cheese and pickles are also low carb/carb free :)

try looking at atkins protein shakes. They are low sugar, high protein.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 320 Member
    Black beans and brown rice are staples! I love to combine the two and add some chopped turkey breast (roast it yourself, to save on the sodium)! YUM! :)
  • Black beans and brown rice are staples! I love to combine the two and add some chopped turkey breast (roast it yourself, to save on the sodium)! YUM! :)

Now this is where I get confused. I hear that beans and rice where high carb. No?
  • I have (and still do )use Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortillas as a substitute for breads and to kinda mix up my menu a bit. They have a total of 7 carbs per tortilla (only 3 net impact carbs) and only 60 calories.I have used them to make burritos,rollups, tacos, and even pizza!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Black beans and brown rice are carbs, but they are better carbs than say white bread, white rice or sugar. They have more fiber and protein, so they are a really good choice to grab for your carbs.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I am taking my dieting to a different level beginning tomorrow. Thing is, I am unsure exactly what I should/shouldn't eat. I am going on a cruise in 5 weeks and I have asked my personal trainer how to lose these last pesky 5 pounds and break my plateau. She told me that for a short period of time she would recommend the High Protein/No-Low Carb approach. This is not something I plan on doing long term, but until my vacation.

I know that I can eat meats and veggies, but I can't live on just these! Help!!!

What kinds of foods should I be eating and which ones should I avoid?

Also, does anyone know how many carbs this means I should try to limit myself to? Anyone doing the Akins or South Beach? How many do you consume?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry but you don't do low carb for a short period of time. This is why low carb gets a bad rap of "not working".

Atkins and South Beach are plans that are meant to be done as a lifestyle transition for life of eating clean, whole foods.
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    I have a couple of friends that had their doctors prescribe this for a while. It was extremely expensive because you basically eat all fresh veggies, salad, cheese and meat. Milk was fine I think too. They always had lots of platters of lunch meat, salami, cheeses, and veggies around. Dip too. They had to really curb bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and all the other less expensive staples that more easily fill you up. I would bet protein shakes would do the trick too.
  • http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

Scroll down to the advanced recipe finder. Click dietary needs and choose low carb.

I love this recipe site! I especially enjoy the desserts!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 320 Member
    Black beans and brown rice are staples! I love to combine the two and add some chopped turkey breast (roast it yourself, to save on the sodium)! YUM! :)

Now this is where I get confused. I hear that beans and rice where high carb. No?

Oh....Sorry....I was just thinking about my own protein intake.....I don't follow a low-carb diet, and missed that part! =\
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    If you want to spend a few bucks ($40 to be exact), you might consider Lyle McDonalds book, The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. Look it up on www.bodyrecomposition.com. I not a big fan of either low-carb or the kind of weight loss timetable you are looking at, but, if that's the way you want to go for now, I would trust Lyle more than any trainer. Just an opinion.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I have a couple of friends that had their doctors prescribe this for a while. It was extremely expensive because you basically eat all fresh veggies, salad, cheese and meat. Milk was fine I think too. They always had lots of platters of lunch meat, salami, cheeses, and veggies around. Dip too. They had to really curb bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and all the other less expensive staples that more easily fill you up. I would bet protein shakes would do the trick too.

I spend less money on my grocery bill since eating fresh veggies, salads, farm raised meats and raw nuts and dairy............

The only way there plan was more expensive then the way they were eating is because of the lunch meat, salami, cheeses and such.

To me that is not the way the low carb way of eating was intended to be.
This discussion has been closed.