What, if any, events are you signed up for?

Options
I am 4 weeks into getting up every morning and going to the gym to work out. I currently have 2 events I have signed up that I need to train for.

One if the Gladiator Rock and Run. Its a tamer version of Tough Mudder :p. I did it last year and barely made it through. I had to skip over a lot of the obstacles. This year I want to conquer! I want to feel good, not miserable. I want to be able to the rope climb, the wall climb, ect.

I am also signed up for a Bicycle ride. My husband and I try to do 2 every year. We both wussed out on Napa this past summer and I wussed out on Solvang. Well Napa is just a few months away and I want to conquer that course too! I did it with no training and I would have been crying for the last 15 of the 68 miles we rode but I sweat so much I had no tears. It was beyond horrible.

So what events are you doing? What gives you motivation to do that extra rep, or do another 15mins on a cardio machine?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for the Shamrock Shuffle on March 30th, an 8k race, and I got a season pass for Warrior Dash. I plan to race 3 of those, possibly twice each. They're a 5k mud run. It looks like your Gladiator Rock and Run is pretty similar. I failed Tough Mudder pretty bad last year, and have the scars to show for it. I'll do that again when I've reached my goal weight and gotten some practice on the monkey bars. I'm also considering which half marathon will be my first. I'm thinking about this Michelob ULTRA 13.1 Marathon. It looks like this is their first year in Chicago, and the website could use a little love. I'd have sent them money already if I had confirmation that I'd get a shirt with that schizo name on it...

Next year is the year of the marathon. I think I want to plan a trip to Alaska around their Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great goals there!

I've signed up for my first 10k on 30th March - it's also the Staffordshire County Championships and there's a strong possibility that I may have the distinction of coming last. But I'll be on the start line and I'll get over the finish line, no matter how long it takes me!

After that, I just want to keep running and keep getting better at it... But I'll definitely be entering some more events to help keep me focused :happy:
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    Oakland running festival's 5k....my goal is to run most of it, taking as few walk breaks as possible, hopefully I can finish it under 40 mins
  • jest1970
    jest1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a half marathon on April 12th and another on May 25th in VT. I am trying to get myself out of the mindset that since I am training and running long distances I can eat whatever I want. My husband is out of town for 11 days so I am going to use this time to get back on track with the healthy eating and drinking more water.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on March 8. I will be running in another one April 19th. Hopefully the weather will get better soon and I can train more outdoors. Good luck on your training and events
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting meet in June.

Physique competition pending.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Half marathon in May & a 34 mile hiking challenge in June
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    North Olympic Discovery Half Marathon on June 1st
    Ragnar Trail Relay - Appalachians in mid-June
    Underwear Affair 10k in Vancouver on July 5th
    Warrior Dash in Oregon in early September
    Gorgeous Relay - Columbia River Gorge - September 21st
  • ecograndma
    Options
    Bike Around the Buttes
    40 mile bike ride
    Sutter, CA
    April 12th
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    15k trail run on 4/5
    Spartan Sprint on 4/26
    Ragnar Trail Appalachians on 6/13
    Summit Lake Sprint Duathlon on 7/27
    Go Girl Duathlon on 8/24
    Ragnar FLK 2015 next February

And whatever other 5k/10ks I find that appeal to me. Having things to work towards/look forward to keeps me on track. Plus, all my friends do this stuff with me. Instead of going out to bars, we go to a race. It's fun :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Two powerlifing meets:

April: APA California RAW Championships

July: USAPL RAW Nationals

I don't really need the extra motivation as I love lifting. Just doing my best (and hopefully better than the last time) is motivation enough.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I signed up for Color Me Rad 5K in July. My first ever. Can't wait :smile:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have 3 different races that I am signed up for (or will be soon):

April 19th - 5k Bunny Run
    May 3rd - Coleman Camo 5k
    November 2nd - 5 Alarm 5k (this one is open to anyone, but there are special categories for police, fire, and ems workers and I want to grab one of those po-po prizes for myself, lol)

I have lots of scheduling issues due to being a third shift police officer who changes days off monthly, but at least these 3 races work out for me. Next year I would like to try 10k and then the year after possibly half marathon. Not sure that I want to go to marathon, though. I love running, but not into the looooooong races right now.
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I try to sign up for a race a month, gives me a goal and something to work for

March- Fun run 5K at kids school
    April- 5 K Electric Run (glow lights)
    May- Sundown 10K (race begins at 11pm) ekkkk
    June- Lion dash- 5k with 10 obstacles

looking forward to them all!
  • kwilmington
    Options
    wow most of you guys have signed up for a lot! It's great motivation to work towards something

We have those color and black light runs here. Might have to sign up for one of those as well.