Heart rate monitor - Do I need one?

Options
So I'm seeing a lot of people using those Polar FT4 HRMs in a couple of fitness groups I'm in on Facebook. I was looking into getting one, but then I realized I don't even know a. how to use one, or b. how it will help with my fitness/weight loss!

If someone could explain to me the benefits of these things and how they're used, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if you use one, what kind do you prefer? They come with a hefty price tag!

Replies

• mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you do for exercise. If you only do yoga and lift weights then it likely will not be of much use. If you do any cardio then it can be useful. The more fit you become the harder you have to work to elevate your heartrate where you will receive much benefit. Different activities will have different heartrate maximums that you can achieve. Such as running is probably higher than cycling. To use the monitor first you need to test and find your threshold, that is what you can hold for an hour. Then you gear your workouts to be near that. Or in the case of intervals over that level for a set time then rest for the interval, rinse and repeat. Does this make any sense?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have one. I can't even tell you the last time I used it. I use the TDEE method rather than the MFP method so I don't have to add in my exercise calories.

Only useful if you're only doing cardio - with a constant elevated heart rate. Not accurate for weight lifting and such. Also not for all day use - you need a FitBit or similar for that.
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RCX3, and I wouldn't be without it. I have noted the difference between my HRM and the generic calories built in to the cardio machines in my gym - and depending on intensity, on occasion, the cardio machines indicate that I have lost almost double to what I actually have (I don't maintain my hands on the sensors at all times, so it can't correctly regulate my calories).

I also incorporate cardio into my strength sessions to keep the heart rate up a bit, so use it for this aswell.

I think they're brilliant - for curiousity sake, if nothing else! It's been great seeing that I have to work out longer/harder for the same amount of calories as my fitness has improved and my weight has dropped.

If you are unsure, go for the base model and see if you like it. They're very straight forward to use, and again, did I mention, I love mine!
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and I doubt that I will buy one. I think MFP give you all the tools you need for free so unless you are going to look into this competitively or your are one of those people where the numbers have to be spot on, I wouldn't sweat it. I use Runtastic for walks (also free and linked with MFP). I allow for a bit of inflation on exercise calories and so I leave a little in the kitty on my diary each day. You don't need to spend money to use common sense. :happy:
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In all fairness I base my exercise calorie expenditure on what my Garmin HRM tells me. The values are often less than half of what MFP says I would burn from the same activity. There are several reasonable reasons why this would be true however all fitness apps that guess calories are no closer than a W-A-G. HRM is much closer and yet likely also inflated.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4, I find MFP overestimates exercise calories and generic TDEE isn't accurate enough for me really. I also find it a great motivator. I did just over an hours work out today and burned nearly 700 calories, MFP probably would have told me it was 1200 or something haha!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    HRMs and Fitbits are tracking tools, nothing more. If they are the right tool for you depends on what you do and what data you're looking to track. None of them track calories ... they just use more data points to calculate an estimated burn ... some report net calories (exercise only) while others report gross calories (exercise plus TDEE during the time you work out) and knowing which the device provides is critical when using it in conjunction with MFP.

Before spending any money, think about what you do (or plan to) and what information you want to track from that activity. From there, you can make an informed choice if a device is right for you.