Study on protein in diet and longevity

Options
TomZot
TomZot Posts: 165 Member
Thought this might be interesting...

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/march2014/03172014protein.htm#.Uyd3kuRsg3Y.twitter

"Adults in the 50 to 65 group who reported a high protein intake had a 75% increase in overall mortality and were 4 times more likely to die from cancer during the following 18 years than those in the low protein group. The moderate-protein diet was associated with a 3-fold increase in cancer mortality compared to the low-protein diet.

These associations—which were adjusted for numerous factors including smoking, waist circumference, and chronic conditions—weren’t altered when the percentage of calories from fat or carbohydrate were considered. However, the associations were only found when the proteins were derived from animal, rather than plant, sources.

Conversely, in participants ages 65 and older, those who consumed high amounts of protein had a 28% lower risk of dying from any cause and a 60% lower risk of dying from cancer. These associations weren’t influenced by whether the protein was derived from animal or plant sources."

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Self reported, as suspected.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this study discussed. Please tell us more.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    OP, are you by chance a vegan and a runner?

i have a $5 bet riding on the answer.
  • dladd103
    dladd103 Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't help but suspect this this only has to do with the industrialization of our animal protein sources...Buy local and family farm raised!
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OP, are you by chance a vegan and a runner?

i have a $5 bet riding on the answer.

Not a vegan...dyed-in-the-wool carnivore. I run 20-25 miles per week.

Did you win? LOL.
  • jonnyquinlan
    Options
    There is so many aspects of this study that are scientifically flawed, I am astounded this even managed to get published. I could list them, but the main one I wish to focus on is the fact they used one day of an individual's diet to represent the following 18 years of their life, all 6570 days of it. Whats more frustrating is, typically, the media has latched onto a 'scientific' study and made headlines.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have found a strong correlation between threads like this and the amount of entertainment I derive from them...

...so in.

So very in.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I can't help but suspect this this only has to do with the industrialization of our animal protein sources...Buy local and family farm raised!

:drinker:
  • jonnyquinlan
    Options
    I have found a strong correlation between threads like this and the amount of entertainment I derive from them...

...so in.

So very in.

Its amazing how many people will believe the study! Sit back and watch ?
  • CSLoring
    CSLoring Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have read the study and found multiple flaws in it's methodology. Here is an article that explains the study far better than I can.

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/articles/a-high-protein-diet-will-kill-you?preview#_