Zumba at 286 pounds

Options
Aloha! I am at the beginning of my journey with 136-150 pounds to go. I weigh 286 and don't move very fast. Has anyone been really large and at the start gotten into Zumba? How did that go for you? Thanks for any replies. :happy:

Replies

• blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am around 240ish pounds. I have started a Zumba gold class in February. I recommend zumba gold or beginners zumba as some call it because the moves are modified and it's easier on the joints, back, etc. Good luck on your journey!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Zumba is so much fun. When I started, I stayed in the back, didn't use my arms. I focused on my footwork and having fun. I now lift weights, run, take strength training classes. Zumba is the perfect exercise to help you lose weight.
  • jackies_42
    jackies_42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Zumba Gold, an easier version and there were definitely people at your weight. It's a fun fitness workout as you are dancing to great music and having a blast. You don't have to be thin, zumba is for anyone.
  • barkerchan30
    Options
    I started at 272 pounds and did zumba for four months straight. Lost about 30 pounds I think. You will have to switch up the exercise after that though.
  • Raseac11
    Raseac11 Posts: 41
    Options
    Aloha! I am not that large, but recently started Zumba (I totally stink at it.) once/week and Boot Camp once/week. Because I work 2 jobs, this is all I can manage at this time, but I would really like to be going to boot camp 2-3 times/week.

In Zumba, there are ladies of all sizes, some rather large. Just go at your own rate and you will be fine. Anything they do, you can modify to make it easier, just keep moving and keep sweating. I have no talent for dance, but Zumba is a lot of fun. Some of the people in there are really good, but others are not. Everyone in there is busy doing their own thing, so I don't feel like I stand out with my badness! Give it a try!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I was 215-220 when I started doing Zumba. Another girl in my classes was about 300 lbs. and has now lost 150 lbs in the past 2-3 years. So yea go for it! Maybe stand in back until you more comfortable.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am 233 pounds at the moment and have been doing zumba for a week or so, I have found it great fun! I'm not as bouncy as the instructor (I do it with the xbox kinect) but I burn plenty of calories when doing it. Managed an hour today!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    A good Zumba instructor will demo low impact modifications for beginners. Don't go all out jumping around until you know your body can take it. So long as you keep moving and have fun, you should be good.

Also don't overestimate the calories you burn. The mfp calculator says I burn ~800/hour, but for me it's more like 400 at the medium impact I do. Don't want to eat back more exercise calories than you earn!
  • Sialana
    Sialana Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow! So many replies so quickly! Thank you everyone!