Couch to 5K

Options
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is okay to skip rest days while doing the couch to 5k or if I should follow the plan exactly as it is written. I started the couch to 5k today and I am feeling wonderful haven't felt this good in a while and was debating on skipping the rest day tomorrow and continuing. please let me know what I should do.

I am also posting this to see if anyone wants to join me on this 10 week journey. If you are interested please just post below saying so. If you would like you can post daily to let us know what you have finished. Also you can post they day you start.

I hope that people are interested in joining me on this journey and have heard many good things about it. Thank you for your advice in advance and I hope to see other people joining me.

Below is the Program

Week 1
Day 1: 5 min walk, 2 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: 5 min walk, 2 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: 5 min walk, 3 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Week 2
Day 1: 5 min walk, 3 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 5 min walk, 4 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 5 min walk, 5 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 3
Day 1: 5 min walk, 6 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 4 min jog, 5 min walk, 4 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 5 min walk, 7 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 4
Day 1: 5 min walk, 7 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 5 min walk, 8 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 5 min walk, 9 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 5
Day 1: 5 min walk, 9 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 6 min jog, 5 min walk, 6 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 5 min walk, 10 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 7: 5 min walk, 11 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 6
Day 1: 5 min walk, 11 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 13 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 15 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 7
Day 1: 15 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 16 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 7: 17 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 8
Day 1: 17 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 3: 18 min jog, 5 min walk
Day 5: 20 min jog, 5 min walk

Week 9
Day 1: 20 min jog
Day 3: 12 min jog, 5 min walk, 12 min jog
Day 5: 24 min jog
Day 7: 25 min jog

Week 10
Day 1: 25 min jog
Day 3: 27 min jog
Day 5: 30 min jog
Day 7: Race day

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have already been running for a year, so I am responding to your question. Don't think of rest days as rest days, think of them as recovery days. Your body is recovering from the new exercise you are doing. There is a lot going on in your body, and while you feel great now, it is best to not do back to back running days yet. Your entire body is adapting to your new activity: your lungs and entire cardio system is becoming more efficient, new capillaries are forming in your legs to help with blood, fuel, and oxygen delivery, and your bones are hardening from the new heavy impacts.

If you are feeling like you are wanting to do more, I would suggest crosstraining. You can go for an hour walk, swim, or bike ride. Or you could even strength train (very good idea, fyi). Just keep it low impact.
  • zombiegirl101
    zombiegirl101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    okay thank you very much, I have never done something like this before for it was very considerate of you to explain in detail, I appreciate it.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    On recovery days can someone still do light workouts?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Don't run consecutive days, especially as a new runner. You can walk, do weight training, bike, or do another activity
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wasn't quite so structured when I did it. It sometimes took me about 10 days to complete a "week" of the program, and I believe there was 1 week I had to repeat, can't remember which one. If this happens don't worry about it, just keep going - don't quit! If I got a cold or there was bad weather I rested for a bit, but I never let more than 8 days pass in between runs. However, I did other exercise besides running b/c I crave variety (Zumba, dance, yoga, pilates, muscle workouts, kettle bell, etc.) I got shin pain at one point but stretching and wearing a compression sleeve helped. Do whatever works.
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did C25K a couple of years ago, and I felt like you do. Such a sense of accomplishment, and I wasn't feeling too sore, so I wanted to skip the recovery days. Unfortunately, they are there for a reason : (. I injured my achilles and had to stop. After I recovered I did it again and followed the rules and it went beautifully. I did do every other day instead of only 3 days a week, which sped up the time table a little. I also walked on recovery days and tha worked just fine.

Good luck! It is such a great program!
  • zombiegirl101
    zombiegirl101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for helping me out, I really hope I see results while doing this.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have already been running for a year, so I am responding to your question. Don't think of rest days as rest days, think of them as recovery days. Your body is recovering from the new exercise you are doing. There is a lot going on in your body, and while you feel great now, it is best to not do back to back running days yet. Your entire body is adapting to your new activity: your lungs and entire cardio system is becoming more efficient, new capillaries are forming in your legs to help with blood, fuel, and oxygen delivery, and your bones are hardening from the new heavy impacts.

If you are feeling like you are wanting to do more, I would suggest crosstraining. You can go for an hour walk, swim, or bike ride. Or you could even strength train (very good idea, fyi). Just keep it low impact.

So This. ^^^ I've been running over a year (started with a C25K myself). Too much running too soon can lead to injury. Many people injure themselves doing too much too soon. You don't want that. Cross train on those "rest" days (I prefer weightlifting) and listen to how your body feels. You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve. :) Keep at it!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been wondering about. I've never done a C25K and didn't know I could do other exercises.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing something low impact like swimming on your rest days.. running everyday as a new runner is the high road to injury.
  • ReedTf
    ReedTf Posts: 6
    Options
    I started this program a few weeks ago. I did not follow the program by giving myself recovery days, and got some nasty shin pains. I took a few days off and started back where I left off. I am loving this program, it keeps me from over doing it on my runs. I stopped doing it daily and started to rotate between the C25K program and a stationary bike (8 week program). My results have been wonderful and my shins are thanking me for the recovery days.

I have to admit though, I accidentally skipped a week of the program. I was supposed to do W-3 D-1 and did W-4 D-1 instead. I only realized my mistake halfway through my run when I thought to myself this jog has been going on for a long time... I managed to finish the entire program without taking a break or missing a beat ,so my last run I resumed on W-4 instead of going back for W-3 :).