Swimming! Im doing it wrong!!

Options
So I decided to hit the pool last night as I ran a race on Sunday and wanted a break from running. Ive always found swimming easily, plodding up and down the length of a pool doing breaststroke. Anyway, last night I decided I would try swimming the way I see fast swimmers swim! So I bought a pair of goggles at the reception and I was lucky enough to get a whole lane to myself!

So I started swimming up and down - I was averaging 40-50 seconds a length (much faster than breaststroke!) but I was absolutely knackered! I also got cramp 3 times (yes I ate before I went, lesson learned). So after about an hour, the lifeguard came up to me and politely told me that I was doing it wrong and that I must learn to control my breathing so Im not so out of breath at the end of the length. Well I spent the next 10 minutes trying that which resulted in me swallowing some water and almost choking!!

Does anyone have any hints and tips on how I become a better swimmer. I would eventually like to do a triathalon and swimming is a big part of that! Im more than happy to put the time in, i just need the technique - help!

Replies

• mattyoung1990
    mattyoung1990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As you said, swimming is entirely down to technique and any inadequacies in your stroke will really hamper your times & energy levels! I like the SwimSmooth website as I feel it lays everything out in a very simple way and helps you really get to grip with the swimming mechanics. It's full of information about every aspect of swimming.

1) Information from SwimSmooth on the basics of swimming freestyle
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/visualisation_beg.php

2) The Catch & Pull (Arms)
    Information on what to do with your arms!
    Particularly read the 4 points half way down this page and also watch the videos of 'how not to do it!'
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html

and here is a very good swimmer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3HhNlysFDs

Any questions, just ask and I'll try and help :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well I spent the next 10 minutes trying that which resulted in me swallowing some water and almost choking!!

Does anyone have any hints and tips on how I become a better swimmer. I would eventually like to do a triathalon and swimming is a big part of that! Im more than happy to put the time in, i just need the technique - help!

Same advice as you'd give a new runner, slow down and concentrate on form :) More haste, less speed. with so much water resistance you can expend an awful lot of energy splashing water up and down, but not actually moving forward.

You have three main movements in crawl, arms, legs and trunk. Trunk is key to breathing, by rolling your face out of the water to breathe in. I use a bilateral breath, meaning that I breathe on both sides, once every three stokes.

Search for bilateral breathing, or swim coaching and take some time. Also worth if there is a triathlon club going to some coaching sessions.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Loads of videos on youtube which will show you how to swim better. Plus buy a pull buoy and a float, not many pools will let you use flippers due to Health n'Safety stuff...
    Or book some lessons with the local swimming club and swallow you're ego if they put you with the 8yr olds. I learnt loads in two lessons. Well worth it.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
    and good luck
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone posted about this because I feel exactly the same! I have been swimming a lot more recently (also perhaps considering a mini-tri) but I am only really comfortable with breaststroke. I put it down to the fact that when I did swimming as a child at school I couldn't put my head under water because I'd had an ear operation so never really learned to do it properly!

My local pool does adult swimming lessons so I have been thinking about plucking up the courage to try them out...! Feels silly, taking swimming lessons at the age of 31 but then again it's not that I *can't* swim, I just need to learn how to swim properly!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I learned to swim as a grown-up and it was the best thing I ever did. I highly recommend finding a learn to swim class as you'll get the most benefit from having someone watching you and being there to help and advise where necessary.

I also wouldn't worry about how fast you're going. I personally think you get more benefit out of swimming for 30 minutes than by doing x no. of laps in a certain amount of time.

As with most exercise, technique is all important. Get your technique right, learn to breathe properly and the gains in speed and endurance will follow.
  • doheed
    doheed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you and have to agree with Meandering, it's all about form. As a child I used to swim competitively and through remembering old coaching, and a bit of googling, managed to improve form a little. Although I've still a long way to go I have found a small increase in form provides a huge benefit with regards to speed and required effort.

I watched a talk on swimming on YT that gave some interesting figures on effort, can't remember the exact numbers but it was something like, 90% of a dolphins effort produces forward propulsion, 18% for an elite swimmer and 7% for us ordinary folk. So it's all technique really.

Biggest help for me was the suggestion to stop kicking. Keep looking at the floor of the pool and your legs should stay high. Kicking requires a lot of effort and provides very little propulsion in crawl. All the best; enjoy your swimming and let us know how you get on.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I also wouldn't worry about how fast you're going. I personally think you get more benefit out of swimming for 30 minutes than by doing x no. of laps in a certain amount of time.

As with any exercise different modes of training bring different benefits. The long slow swim equates to the long slow run and helps consolidate the in water endurance, interval sessions help build explosive capacity and performance at anaerobic levels, tempo sessions help optimise conversion at higher intensities.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

As with any exercise different modes of training bring different benefits. The long slow swim equates to the long slow run and helps consolidate the in water endurance, interval sessions help build explosive capacity and performance at anaerobic levels, tempo sessions help optimise conversion at higher intensities.

As I said, those are my personal thoughts. And at this stage I think the OP just needs to learn correct technique and not worry about lap times.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I always breathe on the 3rd arm stoke if that's any help
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above, and if you can afford it invest in a private lesson or two. Once you swim wrong it takes a little work to correct. Breathing is essential. I watch the good swimmers at the pool to try and pick up pointers. Some of them are like speed boats in the water--especially the young, competitive swimmers. I'm 59 and not in their league, but love to watch them. When done right swimming is beautiful and graceful. Wish you the best.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My local pool does adult swimming lessons so I have been thinking about plucking up the courage to try them out...! Feels silly, taking swimming lessons at the age of 31 but then again it's not that I *can't* swim, I just need to learn how to swim properly!
    Nah wait until you're 41 when you're with the 8yr olds. Bigger contrast.
    GO FOR IT!! The longer you take procrastinating, the longer you'll be swimming wrong :D
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Throw a mechanical shark in there…. that'll get you to figure out your "natural" rhythm…. lol

….Sorry. I have no good input. I suck at swimming.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    3rd arm stroke is most common, some people (like myself) prefer the fourth. Blow out slowly while your face is in, inhale sharply once your mouth is clear of the water.

If you feel like you need it, you can probably arrange a couple of lessons with an instructor.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Agree with swimming lessons-go for it!

I was never taugt to swim as a child and developed my own breaststroke/doggy paddle thing that would prevent me from drowning, but not much else.

Lessons were the best thing I ever did and I dont know why I put it off so long. I was doing everything wrong! Plus, if there's anything you've wanted to learn to do but felt too daft to try during public sessions (like turns and butterfly in my case) you can practice and make a fool of yourself over and over in front of people doing exactly the same thing.

There are some good videos on youtube and videojug and I have a book called something like 'from terrified to terrific' which has good excercises and explains how to isolate and practice specific bits of a stroke.

Get yourself a float and pull buoy and as others have said, take it slowly and remember to breathe.
  • lifegoeson25
    lifegoeson25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I always go swimming after having dinner and I have never had problems with my digesting system. (It takes me about 45 minutes between when I'm done with dinner and when I am finally in the water).

I alway set a goal before I go swimming, e.g. "Today I want to swim 1.5 km." and that motivates me during the swimming.

I try to keep breathing the same during the entire swim. I find this particulary hard in the beginning, since I still have a lot of energy then, but I know that I will need the energy and my breath later on.
    The moment that I realise when I am swimming to fast, so when I am breathing to heavily, I try do slow down until I have my breathing under control again.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As you said, swimming is entirely down to technique and any inadequacies in your stroke will really hamper your times & energy levels! I like the SwimSmooth website as I feel it lays everything out in a very simple way and helps you really get to grip with the swimming mechanics. It's full of information about every aspect of swimming.

1) Information from SwimSmooth on the basics of swimming freestyle
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/visualisation_beg.php

2) The Catch & Pull (Arms)
    Information on what to do with your arms!
    Particularly read the 4 points half way down this page and also watch the videos of 'how not to do it!'
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/catch.html

and here is a very good swimmer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3HhNlysFDs

Any questions, just ask and I'll try and help :)

+1 on the swim smooth site. I am absolutely stunned how much it takes out of me, and I am in reasonable shape. I have been doing it for 30 minutes, 3x a week, with the hopes of doing some triathlon racing down the road. i am treating it like establishing a base for running. slow and easy, focusing on technique. I also plan on getting some coaching next month (coach is busy with kids right now.) Good luck!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Look forward, not down at bottom of pool, water should be about at the hairline.

Don't drop your hips.

Extend arm to Put hand in water to start stroke directly above shoulder, not above head (cross over) or outside shoulder.

Pull stroke all the way through in sort of an s pattern underwater, experiment what feels best.

Finish stroke, hand should come out near your hip.

When you return the arm up to start stroke again, drag thumb against torso and drag fingertips on surface. That's an exaggerated way to feel what you should be doing. When you do an actual stroke, you don't do that, but it's close, and doing this a few times will get you used to the form needed.

Don't really turn your head to breathe. It's more body rotation. Your body should not be completely flat and plowing through the water.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to teach kids to swim, can I ask the OP when you do breathe when doing freestyle? It sounds to me like you are holding your breath which you shouldn't do.

If you find it hard to get the breathing right with freestyle stick to breaststroke (although people consider a less intense stroke, it will still give you a workout), as the stroke is facing forward you may find it easier to get control of your breathing until you feel more comfortable breathing out in water.

Also to echo other people's advice sign up for adult classes if you are seriously considering doing triathlons.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I approached a private instructor because as I put it I can 'not drown' as opposed to 'swim'. I thought about adult lessons but the group format means you may not get the tips you need and they are sometimes geared more towards beginners/the uncomfortable in the water, whereas you need closer attention. For the price they are probably worth it.

I took one lesson which completely changed how I did freestyle (more roll, head in water as opposed to thrashing) and then went off to practice. I also recommend the swim smooth website and videos. One thing my instructor taught me was 'catch-up'. So when I do a stroke, I leave the arm in front and touch it with the next arm stroke before pulling down. What this does is SLOW the stroke, and allow me to concentrate on form.

I had a second lesson (several months after) at the weekend and we looked at breathing - like you I breathed very little, but by introducing a rhythm to my breathing I got less tired - the difference was that I could do 3 and a half lengths before spluttering to a stop (yes, there were mouthfuls of water) as opposed to my previous 1 in a 25m pool.

There is something called the SWOLF score which you might like to look at - basically the idea is to try and reduce the number of strokes whilst maintaining speed (sort of), therefore introducing maximum efficiency. Forget about speed for the time being, get your form right and speed will follow.