Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Options
ratchet2
ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
Am I doing something wrong? I have been with weight watcher's online for about 18 months. I did well and lost 50 lbs. I started at 220 and am down to 170. I hit the 50 lb. mark last July and have plateaued ever since. This is 9 months with only moving up and down the same 2 - 3 lbs. I came to MFP thinking that maybe I am not getting enough nutrients or missing something. Last week I lost 0.8 lb., this week up 1.4 lbs. My goal is 140 - 150, so I only need to lose 20 - 30 lbs.

My diary (I believe it is open) is typical of what I have been eating for the past year. I alternate days of cardio and weights. I started the weights this year (January) and am using 10 lb. dumbbells. My measurements are the same except that I do see a tiny bit of definition in my upper arms.

I am 5.6 inches tall, work in an office, I do not like fish, so please do not suggest that. I understand that you can plateau while trying to lose weight, but come on 9 months! I really need some advice as I am about ready to toss in the towel.

Please help.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Just because you have changed diet plan, the science does not change.
  • ratchet2
    Options
    I am eating at 1200 cal (give or take 100 depending on the day). Are you suggesting that I lower the calorie intake?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    2 things:

I have been seeing a lot of cups and pieces in your diary, but it is more accurate to log by weight. Do you log everything that goes into your mouth?

Also have you had a diet break / refeed in the time you have dieted? By diet break I mean several weeks eating at maintenance or more. Considering how long you have plateauted it is conceivable that you are currently eating at maintenance, but 1200 is rather low for that unless you metabolism is not working as it should or you have some sort of condition/disease that you haven't mentioned.

Also 2 weeks are not long enough to measure success with only 30lbs to go.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ratchet2
    Options
    I have not had a break, and the 2 weeks is only on MFP. The diary shows the same as I have been eating for the past year, with most meals exactly the same. The cups I believe that you are seeing are the fruit, veggies, yogurt, and bran buds which are the serving sizes on the package. Would the weighing these items make a difference on the counts? I do log everything that I eat except the vitamins that I take (fish oil, vit c, vit d, calcium, centram one a day silver). The only day was Christmas day.

I am not sick, the only condition that I have is sleep apena which the doctor thinks is caused by the weight. I am not tired or worn out. My alarm is set for 4:30 am to get up to do my workout and I usually wake up about 10 min before. I go to bed about 9:00pm and pretty much sleep through the night (other than sometimes waking up due to night sweats). I am actually rather health. I have not had a cold or the flu in probably 5 years.

I don't know if I am eating at maintenance or not. I believe that I am small boned as my wrists are 6 inches around.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should weigh absolutely EVERYTHING.

Fruits, vegetables, chicken breast, cereal. Yes, the counts can make all the difference.

Weigh your food.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories probably isn't enough for your body now. try upping your calorie intake to 1350. Weigh your food as well, to be more accurate at how much you are eating. It's a pain in the *kitten* but believe me, it works. Good luck
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    FIRST weigh yourself and take measurements. Then weigh all the food... track every bite, every nibble. Change up your diet.. stop eating your "go to" foods. Change up your exercise... if you are walking, do a bit of aerobics. If you are doing aerobics, add a little running. SHOCK your body..... and keep doing the new routine for at least 4 weeks straight. After the month weigh and check your measurements, don't sneak and do it before the month is up. You will see a change in the scale and in your measurements if you are completely honest with yourself. If you don't, seek medical advice and testing because something is definitely wrong.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should weigh absolutely EVERYTHING.

Fruits, vegetables, chicken breast, cereal. Yes, the counts can make all the difference.

Weigh your food.

This ^

I noticed things in your diary are measured in cups. As hard to believe as it is, that can really make a difference. I weigh everything now (all solid food). It's that important.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal weight, the closer to maintenance you need to eat. Try a couple of online TDEE calculators. I use this one: scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/‎

Eat at about a 10% deficit, and don't net below your BMR. And make sure you're getting enough protein and fat. Do you incorporate resistance training at all? Using this method, I've gone from constantly stalling on 1200/day diet to maintaining at 2600/day.

Best of luck!
  • ratchet2
    Options
    Scoobie calculator says: BMR 1450, TDEE 1740, Daily calories based on 20% reduction, weight loss 1392.

I do not really know what any of this means. If someone could explain this it would be very helpfull. My understand of a diet while growing up was salads. I don't really understand macros etc.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Scoobie calculator says: BMR 1450, TDEE 1740, Daily calories based on 20% reduction, weight loss 1392.

I do not really know what any of this means. If someone could explain this it would be very helpfull. My understand of a diet while growing up was salads. I don't really understand macros etc.

Check out the link provided however do not deprive yourself - I am about your height and am now down to 160 - I have been eating 1550 calories for several months and losing religiously. 1200 is too low for you and can cause issues down the road (failing is one) If you work out at all - it is even more important to raise those calories a bit. I too started on 1200 here until I read through the boards and learned a few things.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    If you used mpf to set your goals, I'm guessing you said pick 2 pounds a week to lose. The problem is that you have been doing a great job! Your body is accustomed to it. Try setting to lose 0.5 lbs a week. Try it for a month or so and see what happens.

edit. Join this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not sure you have to weigh everything but if you are logging cups as servings please make sure you are actually measuring things not estimating. I would also eat more frequently You need to get your metabolism running first thing in the morning so you should eat before you exercise even if its something small and then eat within an hour of finishing and I think you need a lot more protein.
    I noticed that your plain yogurt has 160 cal per 3/4 cup that's a lot I use stoneyfield Greek no fat plain and it is 100 cals/cup.
    you may want to try that. I know you don't like fish but what about pork and venison both good lean sources of protein.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal weight, the closer to maintenance you need to eat. Try a couple of online TDEE calculators. I use this one: scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/‎

Eat at about a 10% deficit, and don't net below your BMR. And make sure you're getting enough protein and fat. Do you incorporate resistance training at all? Using this method, I've gone from constantly stalling on 1200/day diet to maintaining at 2600/day.

Best of luck!

Serious question since I see othe people say the same thing you said. What's the science behind the first statement you made because at the same time I always see "You're not eating at a deficit" or "It's easy, just eat at a deficit" when people ask why they're not losing. So you're telling me eating at too much of a deficit can in some cases stall you but eating at a smaller one makes you lose? Is this a body adaptation thing or something?
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. 1200 is to low in most cases and dieting for a long time can get your metabolism a bit sleepy (lazy, slow or any other word) so it would be a good idea to get out of the 1200-eating-almost-nothing cycle.

But beware, don';t just jump up but add about 50-100 every week and you will probably see an increase in the scale at first because your body is not used to it (you could also do a refeed type approach and eat over your tdee for one day and than drop down to the 1392 scooby gave you, but you will definitely see an increase than at first) In the long run it will come off though and it will be healtier and less food miserable.

two good things to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    (composed by one of the very knowledgable people on mfp and full of awesome)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/best_ways_to_make_dieting_easier
    (this one was composed for bulking/cutting cycle type diets but it definitely has a lot of good info in that applies to everyone)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Serious question since I see othe people say the same thing you said. What's the science behind the first statement you made because at the same time I always see "You're not eating at a deficit" or "It's easy, just eat at a deficit" when people ask why they're not losing. So you're telling me eating at too much of a deficit can in some cases stall you but eating at a smaller one makes you lose? Is this a body adaptation thing or something?

yes it is a body adaption thing. If you have eaten like thid for a whole year (or whatever you said) and you did not cheat (birthday cakes and pizza nights count as cheating here also its more a tool to keep you sane imo) your body gets used to the little food and you will probably have dropped some muscle mass on the way so your metabolism might be quite a bit smaller now (hence the resistance tarining someone else mentioned, to keep your muscles engaged and burning)
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Are you still with WW? If you're on WW your point budget should be increasing as you lose. Has that not happened for you?
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding more strength training to your routine. It will help you burn more calories at rest. I agree with others on here, don't get too low on those calories!
  • ratchet2
    Options
    I am still with weight watchers and my points are at 26 (the lowest and have been at that for over a year). They cannot decrease any more, and since I have not gone on maintenance, they have not increased. I do eat about third to half my weekly points (total weekly points are 49).

From the replies that I am receiving, if I understand correctly, I should be eating more? Please confirm if this is correct.